Hangouts won't work in Tbird 52.9.1 any more

Rhino

Sep 3, 2018, 2:58:17 PM9/3/18
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
I've been accessing Google Hangouts (via Google Talk) in Thunderbird for
a couple of years now without difficulty. Now, all of a sudden, I can't
connect any more. It questions the password for my Google mail account
so I retyped it but that didn't help. I launched Gmail, logged out, and
logged back in with the same password and that worked fine but
Hangouts/Google Talk still refuses to sign on.

What do I need to do to resolve this problem?

--
Rhino

WaltS48

Sep 3, 2018, 3:40:01 PM9/3/18
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
I just tried setting up an account, connecting and got the same response,

Then got an email that stated "Google just blocked someone from signing
into your Google Account from an app that may put your account at risk."

They must have updated security at Google.

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

Andy Burns

Sep 3, 2018, 4:27:48 PM9/3/18
WaltS48 wrote:

> got an email that stated "Google just blocked someone from signing into
> your Google Account from an app that may put your account at risk."

I don't use GMAIL from TB, but I remember hearing about having to enable
something like "lower security access" within the web interface ...

<https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255>

Rhino

Sep 3, 2018, 5:36:45 PM9/3/18
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Hmm. I *did* increase my security on the weekend after Google nagged me
to do it....

How do I lower the security again now?

--
Rhino

Rhino

Sep 3, 2018, 10:16:58 PM9/3/18
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
I figured out how to lower the security. I found the "Critical Security
Alert" email again, clicked "Check Activity", then clicked "Yes" in
response to the question of whether I had been blocked, then "Learn
more", then chose "Less secure apps". That took me to a page that had a
single switch which was entitled "Allow less secure apps" and turned it
back on. Now I can launch Google Talk from Thunderbird and it will now
connect to my work colleagues.

--
Rhino

Andy Burns

Sep 4, 2018, 1:39:24 AM9/4/18
Rhino wrote:

> I figured out how to lower the security

It was linked from the answer page ...

Andy Burns

Sep 4, 2018, 3:41:54 AM9/4/18
WaltS48 wrote:

> got an email that stated "Google just blocked someone from signing
> into your Google Account from an app that may put your account at risk."
>
> They must have updated security at Google.

As I said earlier, I don't normally use GMAIL with TB, but thought I'd
give it a go, to see what the "lower" security settings are about ...

I added a gmail account to TB, using the wizard, obviously it recognised
the provider and auto-selected the servers, I choose IMAP instead of POP
and it choose SSL/TLS with oAuth2, these worked straight away without
reducing the security level, I don't use Hangouts at all, so don't know
if that would work with the same lack of fuss?