which file stores thunderbird's passwords?

sean bean

Jan 19, 2011, 1:14:45 PM1/19/11
I'm having a devil of a time reinstalling a cox e'mail account in TB...
and I want to delete all the stored passwords...

SeaMonkey recreated the same e'mail account with no problems at all, but
Thunderbird's kludgey cudgel of an e'mail account wizard rarely works...
all settings seem exactly the same but thunderbird will not send mail
via this one account...

sean

--
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be
misquoted... then used against you.

** taglines brought to you by tagzilla 0.066.2

Mike Easter

Jan 19, 2011, 1:53:47 PM1/19/11
sean bean wrote:
Subject: which file stores thunderbird's passwords?

key3.db encrypts the signons file, signons.txt in my Tb2, signons.sql in
my Tb3.

The best way to start a new message thread to ask a question is to *not*
start by typing in the subject.

Instead, create an unambiguous message body using complete sentences to
establish a 'premise' that does not assume the reader is thinking or
seeing the same thing you are. Then ask your question down here in the
message body where the 'conversation' is going to take place. We (tinw)
don't answer questions up in the subject.

> I'm having a devil of a time reinstalling a cox e'mail account in TB...
> and I want to delete all the stored passwords...

You could delete the two files, but I wouldn't do it that way.

> SeaMonkey recreated the same e'mail account with no problems at all, but
> Thunderbird's kludgey cudgel of an e'mail account wizard rarely works...
> all settings seem exactly the same but thunderbird will not send mail
> via this one account...

I would use the password manager and delete the user/pass line for that
account and let Tbird ask again and populate the fields again.

--
Mike Easter

sean bean

Jan 19, 2011, 2:45:09 PM1/19/11
deleting stored passwords via the password manager was no help
whatsoever... but did allow me to get rid of old e'mail accounts i no
longer access...

i have three cox e'mail accounts that require separate passwords... all
three have the same spop 995 and smtp 587 ports selected, but the one i
deleted and am attempting to recreate continues to receive mail but does
not send it... a 1 minute sending attempt before telling me it's timed
out....

Mike Easter

Jan 19, 2011, 3:03:34 PM1/19/11
sean bean wrote:
> deleting stored passwords via the password manager was no help
> whatsoever... but did allow me to get rid of old e'mail accounts i no
> longer access...
>
> i have three cox e'mail accounts that require separate passwords... all
> three have the same spop 995 and smtp 587 ports selected, but the one i
> deleted and am attempting to recreate continues to receive mail but does
> not send it... a 1 minute sending attempt before telling me it's timed
> out....

Maybe the smtp account isn't configured optimally regarding
authentication and security.

My information about cox^1 is that it doesn't require user/pass or
conncection security

You are XP Tb 3.1.7

Tb/ Tools/ Account settings/ Left pane go to the bottom and select
Outgoing Server SMTP - the Right pane allows you to select the cox smtp
server. and the field under that section is populated with the server's
settings.

Server name: smtp.west.cox.net <or> smtp.east.cox.net
Port: 587
User Name: <not specified>
Authentication method: Normal password
Connection Security: None

^1 http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/asp/contentredirect.asp
This article provides the steps to add an email account to Outlook
Express 6.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Jan 19, 2011, 4:12:14 PM1/19/11
Mike Easter wrote:

> Server name: smtp.west.cox.net <or> smtp.east.cox.net
> Port: 587
> User Name: <not specified>
> Authentication method: Normal password
> Connection Security: None
>

> ^1 http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/asp/contentredirect.asp
> This article provides the steps to add an email account to Outlook
> Express 6.

Here's the authenticated one to use the smtp server from a non-cox IP.

Server name: same as above
Port: 465
Username: us...@cox.net (full email)
Authentication method: Normal password
Connection security: SSL/TLS

That one requires/causes the password manager to need to be populated
when the smtp first connects.

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/omaha/support/internet/article.cox?articleId={65f0a7f0-62b4-11df-ccef-000000000000}
or http://bit.ly/fbwduH steps to configure SMTP authentication in
Outlook Express in Windows to send Cox.net e-mail through a non-Cox IP
address.

--
Mike Easter

sean bean

Jan 20, 2011, 10:29:05 AM1/20/11

that was precisely the problem Mike...

mucho appreciado
--
Support bacteria. It's the only culture some people have.

sean bean

Jan 20, 2011, 4:19:22 PM1/20/11
On 1/19/2011 2:12 PM, Mike Easter previously wrote the following...::
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> Server name: smtp.west.cox.net <or> smtp.east.cox.net
>> Port: 587
>> User Name: <not specified>
>> Authentication method: Normal password
>> Connection Security: None

the thing that threw me here was, Authentication method as the two
accounts that were still working read:

Password, transmitted insecurely

but that option was not there to select when setting up an account, but
after selecting: Normal Password this account also reads:

Password, transmitted insecurely

which seems odd for an ssl setup...

> Here's the authenticated one to use the smtp server from a non-cox IP.

> Server name: same as above
> Port: 465
> Username: us...@cox.net (full email)
> Authentication method: Normal password
> Connection security: SSL/TLS

and this is what my webOS phone reads...

thanks...
sean
--
Coffee, Chocolate, Men; Some Things Are Just Better Rich