Placing All Accounts In "Local Folders" Problem

Michael

Mar 12, 2021, 9:25:30 AM3/12/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
I have been using Windows 7 for non personal information and part of
this process was for me to remove Thunderbird and profile etc.
However I had the thought of using Thunderbird with a non personal email
with false information and name so if a hacker got it that would be of
no use to them.

But back to my problem. I have my account set up and in the left pane it
shows name of account:
nons...@nonsene.net
Inbox
Deleted

Local Folders
Inbox
Deleted

The big question is how do I get the "nonsense account" to be
amalgamated in the "local Folders" account. For example with Windows 10
I have several email accounts but in the left pane they are all
amalgamated into "local folders" so the accounts are not shown
individually. All email arrives for all accounts to the inbox of local
folders.

I think when i originally set up the multiple accounts if I right
clicked on the account in the pane and selected "something" the account
would be amalgamated into local folders but I cannot see the option on
this new installation.

Can someone help me as I like to keep things uniform where possible. Thanks.

Michael

John Weiss

Mar 12, 2021, 10:02:57 AM3/12/21
On 03/12/21 06:25, Michael wrote:

> But back to my problem. I have my account set up and in the left pane it
> shows name of account:
> nons...@nonsene.net
> Inbox
> Deleted
>
> Local Folders
> Inbox
> Deleted
>
> The big question is how do I get the "nonsense account" to be
> amalgamated in the "local Folders" account. For example with Windows 10
> I have several email accounts but in the left pane they are all
> amalgamated into "local folders" so the accounts are not shown
> individually. All email arrives for all accounts to the inbox of local
> folders.

I do not think it is practical to do that with IMAP accounts - only with
POP3. IMAP automatically synchronizes the account folders on all
devices that access the account. Directing incoming mail to Local
Folders may screw up the synchronization.

I also prefer to keep my mail in Local folders, so I:

Keep only the minimum required folders in each account folder.

When saving a message, move it to a subfolder of Local Folders.

When sending mail, direct the copy to be placed in the Local
Folders\Sent folder. I find that when I send mail from my phone, I can
later find the message in the Sent folder of the IMAP folder, and move
it to Local Folders.

Regularly purge all remaining messages from the IMAP folders.

dillinger

Mar 12, 2021, 11:36:16 AM3/12/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
This only works for POP3 accounts, it is even the default there, I
believe, select it in your account preferences.
For IMAP accounts you can use the unified view (View > Folders > Unified).

Michael

Mar 12, 2021, 1:30:19 PM3/12/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Thanks for the two replys, . I am using POP3.

Do you think I will find the answer in the account settings for the
email address or in general options ?
Thanks.

Michael

Michael

Mar 12, 2021, 1:37:10 PM3/12/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
In answer to my own question , found the answer.
In the account settings in "message storage" is an advanced
button,pressing this gives the option to move the account into local
folders. Thanks.

John Weiss

Mar 12, 2021, 2:06:33 PM3/12/21
On 03/12/21 10:30, Michael wrote:

> Thanks for the two replys, . I am using POP3.
>
> Do you think I will find the answer in the account settings for the
> email address or in general options ?

I no longer have any POP3 accounts, but IIRC the option is in the
initial Account setup.

FWIW, IMAP is much better than POP3, and I wouldn't be surprised if some
providers do away with POP3 at some time in the near future. I have to
admit, I used POP3 until a year ago, but I don't at all regret changing
over. Clearest advantage is seamless move among computers, tablets, and
phones.

John

Mar 13, 2021, 5:04:13 AM3/13/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi, John

Question :-
How do you ensure as a default, that no messages and mail addresses are
left on the server after mail collection, ie apart from settings a
complete empty account ?

I personally do not like any of my information left on an internet
server, to that end I poll for mail every 2 mins, then again I am just
an old paranoid fart :-)

--
Best Regards
John

All mails from this system are scaned with Clamav and the latest definitions

Chris

Mar 13, 2021, 7:16:09 AM3/13/21
On Sat, 2021-03-13 at 10:03 +0000, John wrote:

> Hi, John
>
> Question :-
> How do you ensure as a default, that no messages and mail addresses are
> left on the server after mail collection, ie apart from settings a
> complete empty account ?
>
> I personally do not like any of my information left on an internet
> server, to that end I poll for mail every 2 mins, then again I am just
> an old paranoid fart :-)

Write a simple "match all" filter to move /everything/ arriving in the
IMAP-connected account to your chosen location(s) in Local Folders.

In most cases, simply removing a message from the folder in the IMAP-
connected account will see it removed by the IMAP server from the
corresponding folder on the IMAP server. An explicit delete is probably
not required. In any case, IIRC, the only "remove from server" filter
action mentions "POP3 server" so may not be appropriate to IMAP. But
you can try it.

I say "in most cases" because with Googlemail in particular, it is very
retentive and declines requests to delete messages, simply marking them
as "deleted". But I doubt you are using Google.
--
Chris

John Weiss

Mar 13, 2021, 9:56:44 AM3/13/21
On 03/13/21 04:00, Chris wrote:

>> Question :-
>> How do you ensure as a default, that no messages and mail addresses are
>> left on the server after mail collection, ie apart from settings a
>> complete empty account ?
>>
>> I personally do not like any of my information left on an internet
>> server, to that end I poll for mail every 2 mins, then again I am just
>> an old paranoid fart :-)

> Write a simple "match all" filter to move /everything/ arriving in the
> IMAP-connected account to your chosen location(s) in Local Folders.

To start, move all your mail out of the IMAP Inbox and into your Local
Folder. Check all other IMAP folders and move/delete any messages. For
Gmail, ensure the All Mail folder is empty. Empty Trash. Highlight the
IMAP account title line, then File | Compact Folders.

In Account Settings | Copies & Folders, ensure the copy of Sent mail is
set to Sent on Local Folders.

Go to the web mail page for the provider. Ensure all folders are empty.
Delete unwanted folders if possible. This only need be done once,
unless you're really paranoid.

John

Mar 13, 2021, 10:47:35 AM3/13/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi, chris
I have set up a new gmail account and will have a play over the weekend
and get back to you, although if I have to use the local folder any way
I actually don't see the point.

John

Mar 13, 2021, 10:47:45 AM3/13/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
On 13/03/2021 14:56, John Weiss wrote:
Hi, John
See my reply to Chris

John

Mar 13, 2021, 11:25:34 AM3/13/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi, John and Chris

Thank you, both your suggestions worked out fine with the temp gmail
account. Its therefore nice to now that if POP does disappear I have
options, unless of course it changes in the future. In which case I will
probably have to either set up my own mail server, or switch to "snail
mail" and POTS.

John Weiss

Mar 13, 2021, 1:08:54 PM3/13/21
On 03/13/21 07:47, John wrote:

> I have set up a new gmail account and will have a play over the weekend
> and get back to you, although if I have to use the local folder any way
> I actually don't see the point.

You don't have to use the Local Folders for an IMAP account, including
Gmail, but you have the option to do so. The OP wants to use Local
Folders in lieu of the IMAP folders.

Michael

Mar 13, 2021, 1:48:53 PM3/13/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Thanks again for your replys. I only have POP email now but used to have
an IMAP account with the account listed above the other POP3 accounts in
local folders.

I don't keep my mail long. When I setup the Windows7 account I notice
that the mail toolbar now shows "get messages" as opposed to
"send/receive", when did this change ?

Also, although i use Thunderbird in Windows 10 for regular email I do
not have a printer setup yet to use with it. My old "trusty" HP has no
drivers available for 64 bit, let alone Windows 10.

Although I have a new printer for Windows 10 that I purchased four
years ago I have never used it.

Apparently according to the internet it is alleged that one of the main
Windows updates for this week affected some people with blue screens
that was linked to printer issues. This would not be the first time that
updates have allegedly been affected by printers.

I transfer mail that i want printed to my Windows 7 machine (as secure
as I am able) for printing.

Michael.

John Weiss

Mar 13, 2021, 2:00:34 PM3/13/21
On 03/13/21 10:40, Michael wrote:

> Also, although i use Thunderbird in Windows 10 for regular email I do
> not have a printer setup yet to use with it. My old "trusty" HP has no
> drivers available for 64 bit, let alone Windows 10.
>
> Although I have a new printer for Windows 10 that   I purchased  four
> years ago I have never used it.
>
> Apparently according to the internet it is alleged that one of the main
> Windows updates for this week affected some people with blue screens
> that was linked to printer issues. This would not be the first time that
> updates  have allegedly been affected by printers.

I gave up on HP printers a long time ago. Brother printers are cheaper,
more reliable, and have drivers & software suites that work.