Go next confirmation dialog box not recognizing keys.

Grant Taylor

Mar 18, 2021, 1:30:54 PM3/18/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,

Is anyone else having problems with the go next confirmation dialog box
not recognizing keys in 78(.8(.1))?

When I press the "n" key to initiate going to the next message (after
reading all messages in the current folder / newsgroup) I get a
confirmation dialog box:

Title: Confirm
Prompt: Advanced to next unread message in <folder / newsgroup name>?
Buttons: "No" and "Yes"

I used to be able to press either the "n" or "y" key to respond to the
prompt. However, in 78.* I can't use the "n" or "y" keys anymore. I
have to hit the "Escape" key in place of "n". (As if I accidentally hit
the "n" key to advance before I'm ready to do so and want to stay in the
current folder / newsgroup.)

I'm seeing this behavior on Linux and macOS B.S.

Can anyone reproduce this behavior?

Is this a bug?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

BillH

Mar 18, 2021, 2:47:53 PM3/18/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Maybe it is a Linux related problem? Seems to work fine for me on
Windows 10.

Bill

--
If you want to send me an email, you must remove "NOSPAM" from my email
address before replying.

Grant Taylor

Mar 18, 2021, 4:02:40 PM3/18/21
On 3/18/21 12:47 PM, BillH wrote:
> Maybe it is a Linux related problem?  Seems to work fine for me on
> Windows 10.

No. Not only Linux.

Hence my "I'm seeing this behavior on Linux and /macOS/ /B/./S/." statement.

WaltS48

Mar 18, 2021, 4:23:07 PM3/18/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
No problem here using Thunderbird 78.8.1 from Thunderbird or the 78.8.0
from Fedora on Fedora 33 Workstation.

--
OS: Fedora 33 Workstation - Gnome Desktop

WaltS48

Mar 19, 2021, 9:23:01 AM3/19/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
On 3/18/21 1:30 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:
Just clicked "Yes" after reading the last message in a newsgroup and the
focus went to my Calendar tab. 😮

Grant Taylor

Mar 19, 2021, 12:15:29 PM3/19/21
On 3/19/21 7:22 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
> Just clicked "Yes" after reading the last message in a newsgroup and
> the focus went to my Calendar tab. 😮

The operative word you said is "clicked" which is antithetical to the
question that I'm asking.

I'm not overly surprised that it went to the calendar if all messages;
mail, news, RSS, etc., are read.

Alfred Peters

Mar 19, 2021, 12:49:19 PM3/19/21
Es schrieb einmal Grant Taylor:

> Title:  Confirm
> Prompt:  Advanced to next unread message in <folder / newsgroup name>?
> Buttons:  "No" and "Yes"
>
> I used to be able to press either the "n" or "y" key to respond to the
> prompt.  However, in 78.* I can't use the "n" or "y" keys anymore.  I
> have to hit the "Escape" key in place of "n".  (As if I accidentally hit
> the "n" key to advance before I'm ready to do so and want to stay in the
> current folder / newsgroup.)

> Can anyone reproduce this behavior?

Under Windows, the "Yes" button has the focus. Accordingly, "y" works
very well. Only the "n" key doesn't work here.

> Is this a bug?

Yes it's:
Bug 1625632 - "Dialog button access key handling is broken"

Alfred
--
Thunderbird (88.0a1) - Thunderbird Daily BuildID=20210313153834
Rev: Comm-Central:0870a62e5554 / Mozilla-Central:6264f13d54a1 21212.9

Grant Taylor

Mar 19, 2021, 1:50:32 PM3/19/21
On 3/19/21 10:48 AM, Alfred Peters wrote:
> Under Windows, the "Yes" button has the focus. Accordingly, "y" works
> very well. Only the "n" key doesn't work here.

ACK

> Yes it's:
> Bug 1625632 - "Dialog button access key handling is broken"

Thank you for that information.

I'll watch that bug.

When I asked if it was a bug, I had wondered if a bug needed to be
submitted. But an existing bug is better.

Thank you again Alfred. :-)

WaltS48

Mar 19, 2021, 3:37:05 PM3/19/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Sorry, pressing the "N" key did not work in my latest test.

Using the "Alt+N" key combination did work in TB 78.8.1 on Fedora 33
Workstation, Gnome desktop.

I am primarily a mouse user.

Grant Taylor

Mar 19, 2021, 7:14:20 PM3/19/21
On 3/19/21 1:36 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> Sorry, pressing the "N" key did not work in my latest test.

ACK

Thank you for reproducing symptoms.

> Using the "Alt+N" key combination did work in TB 78.8.1 on Fedora 33
> Workstation, Gnome desktop.

Unfortunately, one of my primary use cases is via VNC which tends to
mess with some keys, particularly the Alt key. The old behavior of just
"N" and "Y" worked quite nicely.

I'll keep an eye on bug 1625632, which Alfred P. mentioned.

> I am primarily a mouse user.

To each their own. <ASCII thumbs up>