Thunderbird 3.1.8 update is now available

Mark Banner

Mar 1, 2011, 2:10:21 PM3/1/11
An update for Thunderbird 3.1.8 is now available for Windows, Mac, and
Linux for free download from http://www.GetThunderbird.com/. This
release makes several improvements to Thunderbird’s performance,
stability, and security.

Thunderbird 3.0.11 was the last security and stability update for
Thunderbird 3.0.x. Thunderbird 3.0.x users will be prompted and
encouraged to start using Thunderbird 3.1.

We strongly recommend that all Thunderbird users upgrade to this
release. If you already have Thunderbird 3.1, you will receive an
automated update notification within 24 to 48 hours. You can also
manually fetch this update by selecting “Check for Updates…” from the
Help menu.

For a list of changes and more information, please review the
Thunderbird 3.1.8 release notes:
http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/3.1.8/releasenotes/

Cy Burnot

Mar 2, 2011, 5:31:40 PM3/2/11
How is it that some extensions that were valid for 3.1.7 are no longer
valid? What changed?

Christian Riechers

Mar 2, 2011, 5:43:03 PM3/2/11
On 03/02/2011 11:31 PM, Cy Burnot wrote:
> How is it that some extensions that were valid for 3.1.7 are no longer
> valid? What changed?

Which extensions you think are no longer valid?

--
Christian

goodwin

Mar 2, 2011, 5:48:06 PM3/2/11
On 03/02/2011 02:31 PM, Cy Burnot wrote:
> How is it that some extensions that were valid for 3.1.7 are no longer
> valid? What changed?

This happens with every upgrade.
It may very well be that an extension won't work until the author
updates it to fit the new version. It could also very well be that the
extension will work with some manual tweaking - see
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_install_themes_or_extensions_-_Firefox

Ron Hunter

Mar 2, 2011, 9:02:51 PM3/2/11
On 3/2/2011 4:31 PM, Cy Burnot wrote:
> How is it that some extensions that were valid for 3.1.7 are no longer
> valid? What changed?

The version number. If the developer of the extension didn't designate
specifically that it was compatible with 3.1.7+, then it will give you a
message that it isn't compatible, even though it may, in reality, work
just fine.

Man-wai Chang

Mar 3, 2011, 4:28:33 AM3/3/11
On 02/03/2011 03:10, Mark Banner wrote:
> An update for Thunderbird 3.1.8 is now available for Windows, Mac, and

Updated

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.37.1

Brian J. Murrell

Mar 3, 2011, 8:26:14 AM3/3/11

So the moral of the story/lesson here is to hold off on upgrading to the
latest TB releases for a little while to let plugin authors catch up,
otherwise risk losing plugin functionality until they do catch up?

b.

signature.asc

Mark Banner

Mar 3, 2011, 8:32:11 AM3/3/11

Actually add-on authors don't usually declare compatibility to minor
versions - we explicitly keep APIs stable between minor versions to
allow add-on authors to do this. So I'd be very surprised if this is an
issue for a minor update.

I'm not sure what Cy Burnot's issue is. Without him telling us more
about which extensions aren't working, or what the exact error messages
are, it is very hard to say what's happening.

Standard8

Brian J. Murrell

Mar 3, 2011, 8:46:25 AM3/3/11
On 11-03-03 08:32 AM, Mark Banner wrote:

> Actually add-on authors don't usually declare compatibility to minor
> versions - we explicitly keep APIs stable between minor versions to
> allow add-on authors to do this.

Ahh. Great. This is how I would expect it to be.

> So I'd be very surprised if this is an
> issue for a minor update.

OK. I feel a bit easier about upgrading "on spec" then.

> I'm not sure what Cy Burnot's issue is. Without him telling us more
> about which extensions aren't working, or what the exact error messages
> are, it is very hard to say what's happening.

Indeed, it would be interesting to know given the API standards that are
in place about minor versions.

Cheers,
b.

signature.asc

Bob Henson

Mar 3, 2011, 9:30:35 AM3/3/11
Brian J. Murrell wrote:

Install MR Tech Toolkit extension. It has a menu item that will let you
update nearly all extensions to be compatible with the new version with one
click and a restart. It also does a lot of other useful things too.

Obviously it won't work if there is something about the new version that
completely breaks the function of the extension, but most of them just
require the maxversion number resetting. I got three extensions at this
update that needed it - and the same three have cropped up each new version
for some time because the authors don't ever update them.
--
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

Brian J. Murrell

Mar 3, 2011, 9:42:55 AM3/3/11
On 11-03-03 09:30 AM, Bob Henson wrote:

> Obviously it won't work if there is something about the new version that
> completely breaks the function of the extension, but most of them just
> require the maxversion number resetting. I got three extensions at this
> update that needed it - and the same three have cropped up each new version
> for some time because the authors don't ever update them.

But as Mark says, if an extension author properly only sets constraints
on the major.minor and not the .bugfix portion of the release, this
should not be a problem.

I suppose when one finds an extension that is breaking on .bugfix
version increments, one should file a bug with the author to not do that.

Cheers,
b.

signature.asc

Bob Henson

Mar 3, 2011, 9:57:11 AM3/3/11
Brian J. Murrell wrote:

It would certainly help everyone if you can trace the author and get a
response. I've tried many times over the years and rarely got a response,
often because they have given up the extensions and gone on somewhere else.
However, MR Tech Tookit fixes them all, and only takes one click.

--
Bigamy - one wife too many!
Monogamy - one wife too many!

Jay Garcia

Mar 3, 2011, 11:55:05 AM3/3/11

Mar 3, 2011, 12:00:22 PM3/3/11
On 03.03.2011 10:55, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 03.03.2011 07:26, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

Never mind about the "plugins", the Mozilla plugin check is only for
Firefox, etc., not TB.

Just proceed with the "extensions" part that I mentioned.

Brian J. Murrell

Mar 3, 2011, 12:04:16 PM3/3/11
On 11-03-03 11:55 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> If extensions then can you list which ones that don't work after your
> upgrade? Also, I can have a look at those extensions you're having a
> problem with and get back to you.

You must be directing that at the OP of this subthread. I don't have
any issues, but I have not yet upgraded to 3.1.8. I was trying to
clarify whether I should hold off on upgrading due to extension-update-lag.

Cheers,
b.

signature.asc

Jay Garcia

Mar 3, 2011, 12:10:28 PM3/3/11

Mar 3, 2011, 12:26:09 PM3/3/11
Christian Riechers has written on 3/2/2011 5:43 PM:

Buttons! and Custom Buttons

Cy Burnot

Mar 3, 2011, 12:27:48 PM3/3/11
Mark Banner has written on 3/3/2011 8:32 AM:

> I'm not sure what Cy Burnot's issue is. Without him telling us more
> about which extensions aren't working, or what the exact error messages
> are, it is very hard to say what's happening.

"Not compatible with Thunderbird 3.1.8"

Cy Burnot

Mar 3, 2011, 12:33:08 PM3/3/11
Bob Henson has written on 3/3/2011 9:30 AM:

> Install MR Tech Toolkit extension. It has a menu item that will let you
> update nearly all extensions to be compatible with the new version with one
> click and a restart. It also does a lot of other useful things too.

Excellent!! Thanks.

Bob Henson

Mar 3, 2011, 2:03:02 PM3/3/11
Cy Burnot wrote:

Glad you like it. It's the second item I always add to Thunderbird when I
set it up for anyone - the first being the British English Dictionary, if
they haven't downloaded the correct version for the UK.
--
"If it's a hobby to us and a job to you, why are you doing such a shoddy
job?" - Linus Torvalds to Microsoft

Brian J. Murrell

Mar 3, 2011, 2:37:01 PM3/3/11
On 11-03-03 12:10 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> Was directing it to you because you mentioned holding off. If you try
> the upgrade and you run into problems with an incompatible extension
> then we may be able to tackle that one.

Fortunately I did not run into this issue.

> I have, on several occasions,
> downloaded an extension for a user and edited it for them. That is part
> of the reason for my reply. :-)

Seems, for the small subset of extensions I use, no action is necessary.
Good times.

b.

signature.asc

Christian Riechers

Mar 3, 2011, 3:00:39 PM3/3/11

Both, Buttons! 0.5.3.2 and Custom Buttons 0.0.5.2 are supposed to work
with TB 2.0 - 3.3a1pre. Do you have those versions installed?
I've seen often the message 'A compatibility update has been applied.'
after checking for add-on updates.
I do not fully understand what exactly is happening behind the scenes
with an add-on compatibility update, but you could give it a try.

--
Christian

EE

Mar 3, 2011, 3:09:35 PM3/3/11
Usually with minor updates, there is no problem with add-ons. If one is
going from version 2 to version 3, there may be problems, but just 3.1.7
to 3.1.8, I would not expect any issues. I have not seen any, but then
I have only 3 extensions and 3 added themes.

EE

Mar 3, 2011, 3:19:27 PM3/3/11
Toolkit is not a cure-all. It can turn off compatibility checking for
the minimum and maximum versions of application where the add-on is
supposed to work, but if the structure of the application has undergone
a major change, an add-on which is based on the old structure will not
work anyway.

Bob Henson

Mar 3, 2011, 3:23:45 PM3/3/11
EE wrote:

Which is what I said at the top of this quote:-

--
Bank Manager: A man who lends you his umbrella on a sunny day, and demands
it back as soon as it rains.

Chris Ilias

Mar 3, 2011, 5:31:51 PM3/3/11

According to
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/buttons/>, Buttons!
is not compatible with 3.1.7 anyway. Did you do something to bump the
compatibility?

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

Cy Burnot

Mar 3, 2011, 6:32:36 PM3/3/11
Chris Ilias has written on 3/3/2011 5:31 PM:

> On 11-03-03 12:26 PM, Cy Burnot wrote:
>> Christian Riechers has written on 3/2/2011 5:43 PM:
>>>
>>> Which extensions you think are no longer valid?
>>
>> Buttons! and Custom Buttons
>
> According to
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/buttons/>, Buttons!
> is not compatible with 3.1.7 anyway. Did you do something to bump the
> compatibility?

DNR (Do Not Recall).:-)

David Pyles

Mar 3, 2011, 7:09:17 PM3/3/11
Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 11-03-03 12:26 PM, Cy Burnot wrote:
>> Christian Riechers has written on 3/2/2011 5:43 PM:
>>>
>>> Which extensions you think are no longer valid?
>>
>> Buttons! and Custom Buttons
>
> According to
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/buttons/>, Buttons!
> is not compatible with 3.1.7 anyway. Did you do something to bump the
> compatibility?

You could try the Toolbar Buttons extension which IS compatible wit TB
3.1.8:
http://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/
Dave Pyles

Jay Garcia

Mar 3, 2011, 10:22:58 PM3/3/11
On 03.03.2011 16:31, Chris Ilias wrote:

>> Christian Riechers has written on 3/2/2011 5:43 PM:
>>>
>>> Which extensions you think are no longer valid?
>>
>> Buttons! and Custom Buttons
>
> According to
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/buttons/>, Buttons!
> is not compatible with 3.1.7 anyway. Did you do something to bump the
> compatibility?

Buttons and More Buttons haven't been compatible on their own for many
versions. I've been editing the MaxVersion for a while now.

Man-wai Chang

Mar 5, 2011, 6:16:48 AM3/5/11
On 02/03/2011 03:10, Mark Banner wrote:
> An update for Thunderbird 3.1.8 is now available for Windows, Mac, and

3.1.9 has just been released!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.37.1

^ ^ 19:15:01 up 8 days 3:01 0 users load average: 1.01 1.03 1.05

Jay Garcia

Mar 5, 2011, 8:50:14 AM3/5/11
On 05.03.2011 05:16, Man-wai Chang wrote:

>> An update for Thunderbird 3.1.8 is now available for Windows, Mac, and
>
> 3.1.9 has just been released!

Prevents a crash after update, that is affecting some users.