Thunderbird not working with Roadrunner/Time Warner/Spectrum

ckr...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2017, 11:10:30 PM9/29/17
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Spectrum has changed their software to require an outgoing password. I can't find a place in Thunderbird to set an outgoing password. I use a different server for incoming email and so a different password, to preserve a legacy email address.

Any ideas?

Chris

Sep 30, 2017, 4:05:47 AM9/30/17
ckr...@gmail.com Wrote in message:
> Spectrum has changed their software to require an outgoing password. I can't find a place in Thunderbird to set an outgoing password. I use a different server for incoming email and so a different password, to preserve a legacy email address.
>
> Any ideas?

Open Account Settings. Go down to the bottom of the list of
accounts. All your outgoing servers are gathered together under
the heading "Outgoing Server (SMTP)". There is a checkbox to
enable authentication and a text box for your password.

--
Chris

charles kraft

Oct 1, 2017, 12:20:58 PM10/1/17
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Strange. I get to the list of servers, select mine, click edit, and get a window that offers me choices of connection security, Authentication method, and User name.

I've tried the various options for CS and AM, never get an option for password.

charles

Mike Easter

Oct 1, 2017, 12:49:02 PM10/1/17
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Tb is not configured 'conventionally for user/pass; where my
'conventionally' means that the user configures the user/pass along with
the account, port, security, etc.

Instead, Tb employs a password manager where the user/pass is stored
which is a separate operation and separate access from that of the
account settings.

The password manager comes into action when the user accesses the
account and then the manager offers to save the user and the pass.

So, you are interested in 'reconfiguring' an smtp server account, if I'm
understanding correctly.

<in your later reply to Chris>
> Strange. I get to the list of servers, select mine, click edit, and
> get a window that offers me choices of connection security,
> Authentication method, and User name.
>
> I've tried the various options for CS and AM, never get an option for
> password.
When you try to email, the transaction should result in Tb's password
manager prompting you for a pass.

If it doesn't you might go to the Preferences/Options section to remove
the user/pass for that smtp server. Preferences/ Security/ Saved
passwords (accessed differently Win/Mac/Linux)

What is the name of this server which you think does not have a
user/pass for smtp. It has been a very long time since I heard of such
a server, which would be ripe for abuse by spammers. In the past there
was a setup by which the smtp authentication was accomplished by the pop
process (pop before smtp).

--
Mike Easter

Keith Nuttle

Oct 1, 2017, 6:04:01 PM10/1/17
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
If the account exist in Thunderbird, ie previously accessed the account
from this install of Thunderbird; Tools, Options, Security, Saved
Passwords. At this point you can do one of two things. The first is
to highlight the account, right click, and you are given the options to
copy or edit either the user name or the password. Select Edit and
enter the new password.

You could also delete the account after you have highlighted it in Saved
Passwords.

If you have deleted the account or estabishing a new account, it works
the same. Assuming you have enter all of the proper parameters into
the Account Settings, the first time that Thunderbird tries to access
that account you will be asked for the password for that account. Enter
it once and it can be forgotten as Thunderbird remembers the account ID
and the password. You never need to reenter it.

charles kraft

Oct 2, 2017, 11:48:03 AM10/2/17
On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 8:10:30 PM UTC-7, charles kraft wrote:
> Spectrum has changed their software to require an outgoing password. I can't find a place in Thunderbird to set an outgoing password. I use a different server for incoming email and so a different password, to preserve a legacy email address.
>
> Any ideas?

--------------------------------------

After spending another hour on the phone with roadrunner I gave up.

I set TB back to "no authentication" and it works.

I'm convinced of two things:
I'm confused
Spectrum does not have their ducks in a row

Mike Easter

Oct 2, 2017, 1:46:49 PM10/2/17
charles kraft wrote:
> I set TB back to "no authentication" and it works.
>
> I'm convinced of two things:
> I'm confused
> Spectrum does not have their ducks in a row

Spectrum/ Charter/ TimeWarner/ RoadRunner

Spectrum support pages still use twc pages for support for email server
settings. Snips follow links below.

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/overview.html
https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/faqs/faqs-internet/e-mailacco/incoming-outgoing-server-addresses.html

What are my incoming and outgoing mail server addresses?

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): mail.twc.com
Outgoing Server - SMTP port: 587*
*Note: If you are able to receive, but not send, emails while on your
mobile device, you'll need to use your mobile carrier's outgoing SMTP
server and port.

Inbound & Outbound Password: Email Password (same as Web Mail)
SMTP Server Requires Authentication: Checked

--
Mike Easter