Deleting Messages

Joy Beeson

Mar 23, 2021, 9:43:08 AM3/23/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org

I'm running Thunderbird Version 52.9.1 on Windows XP.

It used to be that whenever I deleted a message, the next unread
message would pop up. A while back, it suddenly and without
provocation started jumping back to whatever I was looking at before I
opened the message instead of opening the next message.

Today I'm skimming through an accumulation of mailing list messages,
and when I got down to sixty-one left, I said "I can't *take* this any
more! There must be *some* way to put it back the way it was."

But I've been all through the menus on several occasions, and can't
find the button to unclick.

Do any of you guys know where it is hiding?

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Steve

Mar 23, 2021, 1:10:04 PM3/23/21
On 2021-03-23 8:42 a.m., Joy Beeson wrote:

> I'm running Thunderbird Version 52.9.1 on Windows XP.
>
> It used to be that whenever I deleted a message, the next unread
> message would pop up. A while back, it suddenly and without
> provocation started jumping back to whatever I was looking at before I
> opened the message instead of opening the next message.
>
> Today I'm skimming through an accumulation of mailing list messages,
> and when I got down to sixty-one left, I said "I can't *take* this any
> more! There must be *some* way to put it back the way it was."
>
> But I've been all through the menus on several occasions, and can't
> find the button to unclick.
>
> Do any of you guys know where it is hiding?

Try double-clicking (toggling) the preference mail.delete_matches_sort_order in Config. editor and see if that helps. The default value is false.

Arthur Conan Doyle

Mar 23, 2021, 4:00:29 PM3/23/21
Joy Beeson <jbe...@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

>I'm running Thunderbird Version 52.9.1 on Windows XP.
>
>It used to be that whenever I deleted a message, the next unread
>message would pop up. A while back, it suddenly and without
>provocation started jumping back to whatever I was looking at before I
>opened the message instead of opening the next message.
>
>Today I'm skimming through an accumulation of mailing list messages,
>and when I got down to sixty-one left, I said "I can't *take* this any
>more! There must be *some* way to put it back the way it was."
>
>But I've been all through the menus on several occasions, and can't
>find the button to unclick.
>
>Do any of you guys know where it is hiding?

I don't think this has changed, but in the current build - Tools/ Options /
General. Scroll down to Read & Display. Uncheck "Close message window/tab on
move/delete."

--
Usenet: The world's first (and best) social network.

Joy Beeson

Mar 24, 2021, 10:43:05 AM3/24/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 15:00:09 -0500, Arthur Conan Doyle
<do...@bother.com> wrote:

> I don't think this has changed, but in the current build - Tools/ Options /
> General. Scroll down to Read & Display. Uncheck "Close message window/tab on
> move/delete."

It worked!

"Display" was listed on the same level as "general", so there have
been changes, but it's still there. (Umm "previously" there?)

Thank you to all.