.eml files on my c drive

Tarek Kilani

Jan 20, 2007, 7:34:04 PM1/20/07
When using thunderbird, i notice that thunderbird stores my sent emails
as .eml files on my c drive. any idea how to fix that?

Barbara

Jan 20, 2007, 11:19:00 PM1/20/07
On 1/20/2007 4:34 PM Pacific Time, Tarek Kilani wrote thusly:
> When using thunderbird, i notice that thunderbird stores my sent emails
> as .eml files on my c drive. any idea how to fix that?

You can't "fix" it. When you save the file, change the .eml to .txt.
You can just change the ones that are already there also. They are text
format files.

Barbara

Nir

Jan 21, 2007, 4:07:20 AM1/21/07
Tarek Kilani wrote:
> When using thunderbird, i notice that thunderbird stores my sent
> emails as .eml files on my c drive. any idea how to fix that?
'nsmail.eml, nsmail.tmp, nsmail.html' these files are 'Temporary files
created when sending a message. '
In windows , these files are most probably created in Temp or Temporary
folder.you may remove them either manually or windows own Disk free
program ( right click on C: drive , select Property )

Tarek Kilani

Jan 21, 2007, 4:38:23 AM1/21/07
Isnt there a way to tell thunderbird to make his poop in the temp folder
of the windows system?

Nir

Jan 21, 2007, 5:23:26 AM1/21/07
Tarek Kilani wrote:
> Nir wrote:
>> Tarek Kilani wrote:
>>> When using thunderbird, i notice that thunderbird stores my sent
>>> emails as .eml files on my c drive. any idea how to fix that?
>> 'nsmail.eml, nsmail.tmp, nsmail.html' these files are 'Temporary
>> files created when sending a message. ' In windows , these files
>> are most probably created in Temp or Temporary folder.you may
>> remove them either manually or windows own Disk free program (
>> right click on C: drive , select Property )
> Isnt there a way to tell thunderbird to make his poop in the temp
> folder of the windows system?

Please bottom post in this newsgroup. Thanks

sorry , your last reply isn't much clear to me. Do you want to mean , TB
is creating nsmail.eml files directly in C: drive instead of C:\Temp folder?

Tarek Kilani

Jan 21, 2007, 12:11:25 PM1/21/07
I meant isnt there a way to make thunderbird put the temp files in the
temp folder of windows?

Nir

Jan 21, 2007, 12:56:40 PM1/21/07
Tarek Kilani wrote:
> I meant isnt there a way to make thunderbird put the temp files in
> the temp folder of windows?
I'm not a windows user but according to my knowledge TB uses to put all
temporary files under Temp folder in windows.
I don't know why in your case TB putting temp files just under C: drive.
May be somebody in this NG can explain this behavior.

you may backup your TB profile
["http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Thunderbird"
"http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup" ]
and uninstall TB completely , i.e , goto
Control Panel>Add-remove programs. Uninstall TB . after that remove TB
program folder.if you have any registry cleaner/fixer program , use it
to remove all invalid registry entry of TB.
download a fresh installer from "http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/"
Install it.

you may also report it as Bug at "https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/"

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Jan 21, 2007, 1:47:42 PM1/21/07
Nir wrote:
> Tarek Kilani wrote:
>> I meant isnt there a way to make thunderbird put the temp files in the
>> temp folder of windows?
> I'm not a windows user but according to my knowledge TB uses to put all
> temporary files under Temp folder in windows.
> I don't know why in your case TB putting temp files just under C: drive.
> May be somebody in this NG can explain this behavior.

it does. Mine goes to the temp folder. I have no idea what the OP is
saying. Where does his go? Where on the C drive. In the root or
elsewhere? If they're not made to the temp file, then your system [OS]
is not configured properly.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Peter_Potamus_Show.html
http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s_search=Potamus&Button_Update=Search&show_id=2778

Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Jan 21, 2007, 1:47:47 PM1/21/07
Nir wrote:
> Tarek Kilani wrote:
>> When using thunderbird, i notice that thunderbird stores my sent
>> emails as .eml files on my c drive. any idea how to fix that?
> 'nsmail.eml, nsmail.tmp, nsmail.html' these files are 'Temporary files
> created when sending a message. '

also, when the program crashes and you're in the middle of a message, an
.eml or tmp file is created in the temp folder.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jan 21, 2007, 7:59:07 PM1/21/07
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Nir wrote:
>> Tarek Kilani wrote:
>>> When using thunderbird, i notice that thunderbird stores my sent
>>> emails as .eml files on my c drive. any idea how to fix that?
>> 'nsmail.eml, nsmail.tmp, nsmail.html' these files are 'Temporary files
>> created when sending a message. '
>
> also, when the program crashes and you're in the middle of a message, an
> .eml or tmp file is created in the temp folder.

I would explained why mozilla/tb/sm messages are save in .emi file but
the only thing that will open once saved directly is outlook express,
outlook, or Entourage but no a mozilla product. Why are we saving mail
messages in a format mozilla product can't read to begin with.
Communicator series on back email messages were .txt which any type of
word processor, or ascii application could read. anyone have a logical
reason?

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Jan 21, 2007, 11:52:54 PM1/21/07
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Nir wrote:
>>> 'nsmail.eml, nsmail.tmp, nsmail.html' these files are 'Temporary files
>>> created when sending a message. '
>>
>> also, when the program crashes and you're in the middle of a message,
>> an .eml or tmp file is created in the temp folder.
>>
> I would explained why mozilla/tb/sm messages are save in .emi file but
> the only thing that will open once saved directly is outlook express,
> outlook, or Entourage but no a mozilla product. Why are we saving mail
> messages in a format mozilla product can't read to begin with.
> Communicator series on back email messages were .txt which any type of
> word processor, or ascii application could read. anyone have a logical
> reason?

I don't know about yours but mine does! Has been for several versions now!

Ron K.

Jan 22, 2007, 1:22:58 AM1/22/07
Tbird Leader Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T radioed the tower, On 1/21/2007
7:59 PM:

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Nir wrote:
>>> 'nsmail.eml, nsmail.tmp, nsmail.html' these files are 'Temporary files
>>> created when sending a message. '
>>
>> also, when the program crashes and you're in the middle of a message,
>> an .eml or tmp file is created in the temp folder.
>>
> I would explained why mozilla/tb/sm messages are save in .emi file but
> the only thing that will open once saved directly is outlook express,
> outlook, or Entourage but no a mozilla product. Why are we saving mail
> messages in a format mozilla product can't read to begin with.
> Communicator series on back email messages were .txt which any type of
> word processor, or ascii application could read. anyone have a
> logical reason?
Phil,

Scott MacGregor patched the *.eml issue long ago as it definitely was a
Windows OS issue. Cause was lots of OE generated saved HTML messages as
attachments plus that was the Tbird message save format. If your having
problems on the Mac platform with opening *.eml saved attachments or OE
message attachments saved in that format, then do file a bug report for
the platform.
--
Ron K.
Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

Ron Hunter

Jan 22, 2007, 3:42:14 AM1/22/07
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>>>
>>> also, when the program crashes and you're in the middle of a message,
>>> an .eml or tmp file is created in the temp folder.
>>>
>> I would explained why mozilla/tb/sm messages are save in .emi file but
>> the only thing that will open once saved directly is outlook express,
>> outlook, or Entourage but no a mozilla product. Why are we saving mail
>> messages in a format mozilla product can't read to begin with.
>> Communicator series on back email messages were .txt which any type of
>> word processor, or ascii application could read. anyone have a
>> logical reason?
>>
> I don't know about yours but mine does! Has been for several versions now!

It does, if you can call it that. It will ONLY decode a single part
message, which NOT part of a 'series'. Virtually useless for 90% of the
binary messages in newsgroups.

--
Ron Hunter rphu...@charter.net

Jonas P Eckerman

Jan 22, 2007, 4:36:10 AM1/22/07
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> I would explained why mozilla/tb/sm messages are save in .emi file but
> the only thing that will open once saved directly is outlook express,

Thunderbird 1.5 opens .eml files just fine here.

> Communicator series on back email messages were .txt which any type of
> word processor, or ascii application could read.

Any type of word processor or text editor should be able to read a .eml file.

A .eml should just be the undecoded mail, and mail is just text. The only problem will be parts that are Base64 encoded or double byte, wich will be hard for a human to read without decoding.

> anyone have a logical
> reason?

On Windows, .eml is the conventional extension for email messages. This is only a logical reason for the Windows-versin though.

/Jonas
--
Jonas Eckerman
http://www.truls.org/

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jan 22, 2007, 11:39:29 AM1/22/07
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>>>
>>> also, when the program crashes and you're in the middle of a message,
>>> an .eml or tmp file is created in the temp folder.
>>>
>> I would explained why mozilla/tb/sm messages are save in .emi file but
>> the only thing that will open once saved directly is outlook express,
>> outlook, or Entourage but no a mozilla product. Why are we saving mail
>> messages in a format mozilla product can't read to begin with.
>> Communicator series on back email messages were .txt which any type of
>> word processor, or ascii application could read. anyone have a
>> logical reason?
>>
> I don't know about yours but mine does! Has been for several versions now!

Just tried now and tried to open Entourage. hmm.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jan 22, 2007, 11:47:15 AM1/22/07
Jonas P Eckerman wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>
>> I would explained why mozilla/tb/sm messages are save in .emi file
>> but the only thing that will open once saved directly is outlook
>> express,
>
> Thunderbird 1.5 opens .eml files just fine here.
>
>> Communicator series on back email messages were .txt which any type
>> of word processor, or ascii application could read.
>
> Any type of word processor or text editor should be able to read a
> .eml file.
>
> A .eml should just be the undecoded mail, and mail is just text. The
> only problem will be parts that are Base64 encoded or double byte,

> which will be hard for a human to read without decoding.

>> anyone have a logical reason?
>
> On Windows, .eml is the conventional extension for email messages.

> This is only a logical reason for the Windows-version though.
>
> /Jonas

"If" email messages are some form of Text, why not name it in some for
that any Text editor can open.

I guess everything has to be windows-centric, even though there are Mac
Users, UNIX users, Linux Users ??? ;-/

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Jan 22, 2007, 1:14:53 PM1/22/07
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

>>> I would explained why mozilla/tb/sm messages are save in .emi file
>>> but the only thing that will open once saved directly is outlook
>>> express, outlook, or Entourage but no a mozilla product. Why are we
>>> saving mail messages in a format mozilla product can't read to begin
>>> with. Communicator series on back email messages were .txt which any
>>> type of word processor, or ascii application could read. anyone have
>>> a logical reason?
>>>
>> I don't know about yours but mine does! Has been for several versions
>> now!
>>
> Just tried now and tried to open Entourage. hmm.

if its opening entourage, then you need to change the File Associations:
click on Start, Settings, Folder Options, File Types tab, and scroll on
down until you find EML File. Double click on it, double click on Open
and change the first changeable line to TB and add the space and "%1" so
it looks something like this:

C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILLA.ORG\SEAMON~1\SEAMON~1.EXE "%1"

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jan 22, 2007, 1:38:31 PM1/22/07
I use the Mac version and you change file associations in Get Info
using get info I could change to Eudora, mail, Entourage. But not
SeaMonkey nor Thunderbird. They are grayed out which mean unavailable.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Jan 22, 2007, 4:17:52 PM1/22/07

is SM mail or TB set for default?

Jonas P Eckerman

Jan 22, 2007, 7:06:08 PM1/22/07
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> "If" email messages are some form of Text, why not name it in some for
> that any Text editor can open.

With that logic, all source code should have a .txt extension, as should most CSV files as well as HTML and many RTF files.

The idea is to use an extension that somehow gives a clue to what the file contain. The .eml extension gives tells both software and users that the file contains a message in RFC822 format.

If you want you system to open a text editor when you click on a .eml file, just tell it to do so.

> I guess everything has to be windows-centric, even though there are Mac
> Users, UNIX users, Linux Users ??? ;-/

Unfortunately a big part of the world seems to be uncomfortably windows-centric, but since file naming schemes is actually the only cross-platform compatible way of distinguishing between file types without guessing based on content, using a convention such as file extensions for this purpose seems like a good idea. The only workable alternative would be to use file prefixes instead, but I suspect most people whants files to start with the name they gave them when saving.

Even if the old resource forks from MacOS or the Extended Attributes of OS/2 are better than file extensions, they are not cross-platform compatible.

And file extensions really aren't a Windows-thing. They were around before Windows, and are used a lot by software on other platforms. Just look a a C++ source tree on a Unix system and you'll see that fileextensions are used to differentiate between a bunch of different text files.

Regards

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jan 24, 2007, 5:47:08 PM1/24/07

Yes

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jan 24, 2007, 5:50:37 PM1/24/07
What I was referring to the windows centric is That the only
application that will open emi should be a MS type product. TB/SM and FF
should recognize them just as well.

Jonas P Eckerman

Jan 24, 2007, 8:11:25 PM1/24/07
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> What I was referring to the windows centric is That the only
> application that will open emi should be a MS type product.

But, it isn't. There are non-MS roducts that can open RFC822 mails saved as a plain files.

One such application is Thunderbird. Dunno about Seamonkey though.

The missing thing seems to only be the file association, not the actual functionality. On my Windows system, TB did not set itself up as a handler form .eml, but when I tried starting TB from the command line with a .eml file as parameter it worked fine so I configured Windows to use TB as handler for .eml files.

I have no idea how these kinds of things work on Macs, but it strikes me a strange if you cannot manually set up what application should handle what files even when the system doesn't know they can handle it.

I do agree that it would be a good idea for TB to be able set itself up as a handler for .eml and the appropriate MIME types just as it can set itself up as the default mail client.

lafill

Jan 24, 2007, 10:18:01 PM1/24/07
Jonas P Eckerman wrote:
> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>
>> What I was referring to the windows centric is That the only
>> application that will open emi should be a MS type product.
>
> But, it isn't. There are non-MS roducts that can open RFC822 mails
> saved as a plain files.
>
> One such application is Thunderbird. Dunno about Seamonkey though.
>
> The missing thing seems to only be the file association, not the
> actual functionality. On my Windows system, TB did not set itself up
> as a handler form .eml, but when I tried starting TB from the command
> line with a .eml file as parameter it worked fine so I configured
> Windows to use TB as handler for .eml files.

Can you tell me in detail (I'm rather a novice) how to configure TB to
open .eml files saved to the desktop without having TB open. It's
annoying to have to change to .txt extension every time. Thanks,

lafill

Jordon

Jan 25, 2007, 2:36:07 PM1/25/07
lafill wrote:

> Can you tell me in detail (I'm rather a novice) how to configure TB to
> open .eml files saved to the desktop without having TB open. It's
> annoying to have to change to .txt extension every time. Thanks,

Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options / File Types

Scroll to .eml, click Change...

--
Jordon

lafill

Jan 25, 2007, 4:57:11 PM1/25/07

What would be nice is to be able to open .eml files with TB and not get
an alert that, "c is not a registered protocol". I have TB 1.5.0.9.
Thanks

Jordon

Jan 25, 2007, 5:20:50 PM1/25/07

Not following. Did you change the application that opens .eml files
to Thunderbird?

--
Jordon

lafill

Jan 25, 2007, 6:07:48 PM1/25/07

Yes. I thought I would try that. It is my preferred way because with
TB I can get a print preview which I can't with Outlook Express or .txt
file. I like to know how many pages it would take to print so I can
print on both sides if need be.

Irwin Greenwald

Jan 25, 2007, 6:13:14 PM1/25/07

You may have to create the EML entry, but otherwise works like a charm!

--
Irwin