not sure I understand where to go nest for Thunderbird support

Bruce

Mar 29, 2021, 2:28:43 AM3/29/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org

 I have been getting my Thunderbird support questions and answers from (I think) mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org/

I understand that, sadly, this link will soon be shut down.  But I am confused about all the comments about possible alternate future help sites.

Can someone please explain to me in plain language what is planned and how I can subscribe.

I am not a programmer but I also am not a novice with computer software.  I am a retired university professor and research scientist who has developed several software programs for the molecular identification of viruses and the molecular epidemiology of tracking these viruses as they spread around the world.  But, I have done this with computer scientist colleagues who used my scientific data but who actually wrote all the codes for my software programs.

As I said, I am not sure I understand what will becoming in terms of support such as this has been for Thunderbird.

Thus, I repeat!  Can someone please explain to me in plain language what is planned and how I can subscribe!

Bruce

Dave Royal

Mar 29, 2021, 3:53:06 AM3/29/21
On 28 Mar 2021 23:28:28 -0700 Bruce wrote:

>  I have been getting my Thunderbird support questions and answers from
>(I think) mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org/
>
>I understand that, sadly, this link will soon be shut down.  But I am
>confused about all the comments about possible alternate future help sites.
>
>Can someone please explain to me in plain language what is planned and
>how I can subscribe.

Bruce

Just remember 'SUMO' SUpport Mozilla Org
<https://support.mozilla.org>
It's been the *official* support site for years.

SUMO has a Thunderbird section - clicking the TB icon goes here:
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird>

and a forum
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/thunderbird?show=all

but not a mailing list.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Andy Burns

Mar 29, 2021, 5:14:02 AM3/29/21
Bruce wrote:

> I am not sure I understand what will becoming in terms of
> support such as this has been for Thunderbird.

You can either go to the official web forums

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/thunderbird>
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/firefox>

or someone has set up a new mailing list (FF not TB)

<https://groups.io/g/firefox-support>

or (more slowly, that's just how it goes) new unofficial usenet groups
should get created, eventually look for

Jeremy Nicoll

Mar 29, 2021, 9:16:40 AM3/29/21
to ML - mozilla-tb-thunderbird-support
On Mon, 29 Mar 2021, at 10:13, Andy Burns wrote:

> or someone has set up a new mailing list (FF not TB)
>
> <https://groups.io/g/firefox-support>

There's two TB ones too:

https://groups.io/g/thunderbird
(which maybe doesn't allow attachments to posts)

and
https://groups.io/g/thunderbirdemail (which does allow them)

I've just joined both; time will tell what the quality of discussion is
like at each of them.

For anyone who is confused, ALL the groups.io groups, although
best subscribed to via their website, operate perfectly well as
mail lists, and don't require you to login and use them as forums
(though you can if you want).

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.

Chris Ilias

Mar 29, 2021, 11:11:47 AM3/29/21
On 2021-03-29 5:13 a.m., Andy Burns wrote:
> or someone has set up a new mailing list (FF not TB)
>
> <https://groups.io/g/firefox-support>

PLEASE NOTE: the above link is not created by Mozilla. It is not
maintained by Mozilla, and not affiliated with Mozilla.

Ken Blake

Mar 29, 2021, 1:20:27 PM3/29/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
SO they can be used as newsgroups in Thunderbird? Great! Please tell me
how to set them up for that.

BillH

Mar 29, 2021, 1:34:08 PM3/29/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
They can not be used as newsgroups, but they can be used as mailing
lists. You can have them come to your inbox and filter them to a
specific folder. Not quite the same thing, but works for me. At least
it is still in Thunderbird.

Bill

--
If you want to send me an email, you must remove "NOSPAM" from my email
address before replying.

ISHIKAWA, Chiaki

Mar 31, 2021, 9:17:51 PM3/31/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
> Thus, I repeat! *Can someone please explain to me in plain language what
> is planned and how I can subscribe!*
>
> Bruce
> **

This seems to be the preferred support forum.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/thunderbird

I found the URL from "about Thunderbird"/Help menu button and a couple
of hops from there.

Chiaki