get rid of message "To protect your privacy, Thunderbird has blocked remote content in this message"

audrey joy

Jun 3, 2018, 2:43:53 PM6/3/18
to support-t...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello all,

How do I get rid of the message that says: "To protect your privacy, Thunderbird has blocked remote content in this message" at every new message? It's really annoying.

Thanks; have a nice day.

Audrey

David E. Ross

Jun 3, 2018, 3:27:41 PM6/3/18
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
There is a risk associated with remote content. If you are willing to
accept that risk, do the following:

1. On the menu bar, select [Tools > Options].

2. On the Options window, select Privacy.

3. Under "Mail Content" on the Privacy pane, check the "Allow remote
content in messages" checkbox.

4. Select the OK button.

Before doing step #3, you might want to view the result of selecting the
"Learn more ..." link on the Privacy pane.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

First you say you do, and then you don't.
And then you say you will, but then won't.
You're undecided now, so what're you goin' to do?
From a 1950s song
That should be Donald Trump's theme song. He obviously
does not understand "commitment", whether it is about
policy or marriage.

WaltS48

Jun 3, 2018, 4:15:28 PM6/3/18
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Before doing that, you should be aware of this security threat if you
are using encryption.

https://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2018/05/efail-and-thunderbird/

In comment #1 it is suggested. "The best mitigation right now is View |
Message body as | Simple HTML."

--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/60.0
AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics 2.20 GHz 6.00 GB RAM

Martin Edwards

Jun 4, 2018, 2:36:52 AM6/4/18
On 6/3/2018 9:14 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 6/3/2018 12:30 PM, audrey joy wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> How do I get rid of the message that says: "To protect your privacy,
>> Thunderbird has blocked remote content in this message" at every new
>> message? It's really annoying.
>>
>> Thanks; have a nice day.
>>
>> Audrey
>>
> Before doing that, you should be aware of this security threat if you
> are using encryption.
>
> https://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2018/05/efail-and-thunderbird/
>
> In comment #1 it is suggested. "The best mitigation right now is View |
> Message body as | Simple HTML."

Its easy to click "Allow remote content for this message" if you want it.

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally. History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember. -Albert Goldman

opto

Jun 4, 2018, 8:37:48 AM6/4/18
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
I understood that the OP wants to get rid of the message but not necessarily wants to Switch Off TB Screening of Remote Content. Is that possible?

James Moe

Jun 4, 2018, 4:49:14 PM6/4/18
On 06/03/2018 09:30 AM, audrey joy wrote:

> How do I get rid of the message that says: "To protect your privacy, Thunderbird has blocked remote content in this message" at every new message?

To disable the message for every email, do as David Ross indicated.
To disable the message for the particular email now and in the future,
select "Preferences," select the option at the bottom for the list of
"Allow remote content from ..." items.

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com

bruc...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2018, 10:11:23 PM6/8/18
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
The "Preferences" option seems to have disappeared for me. I only have the "More" dropdown and no options for displaying the remote content. Just saw this start today. Running version 52.8.0 64-bit on Linux.

raf

Jun 8, 2018, 11:40:06 PM6/8/18
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Nope still there.

WaltS48

Jun 9, 2018, 9:11:59 AM6/9/18
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
"At the top of the Thunderbird window, click the Edit menu and select
Preferences, or click the menu button and choose Preferences."

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/remote-content-in-messages>

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop