Changing from POP to IMAP

Peter

Mar 21, 2021, 7:16:10 AM3/21/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
I recently discovered that on my wife's laptop - Windows 10 Home edition
with the latest Thunderbird - she has a couple of email accounts. One
in POP and the other is IMAP.
This explains why she does not 'see' all the messages on the laptop that
she 'sees' on her iPhone or iPad.
So, I would like to change the POP one to IMAP and obviously don't want
to loose anything in the process!
I've looked online and saw that 'Recovery Tools' have a programme called
POP3Backup Tool and wondered if any one has used it?
If so, is it any good or can you recommend a programme to do this?
Apologies for the length of this
Regards

Andrei Z.

Mar 21, 2021, 7:44:46 AM3/21/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Switch from POP to IMAP account - Thunderbird Help

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/switch-pop-imap-account

John Weiss

Mar 21, 2021, 10:29:11 AM3/21/21
On 03/21/21 04:15, Peter wrote:

> So, I would like to change the POP one to IMAP and obviously don't want
> to loose anything in the process!

I just did that recently; pretty easy...

First backup your profile folder, just in case.

Then ensure all messages you want saved locally are in folders in the
Local Folders.

Disable automatic message download for the POP account.

Go to the webmail page for the provider and ensure IMAP is enabled.
Look up the server settings for IMAP.

Open a new account in Thunderbird for the IMAP account. Test it.

Delete the POP account from Thunderbird.

Peter

Mar 22, 2021, 10:45:31 AM3/22/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Many thanks to the sage advice. All seems to be okay with IMAP