How to block out certain senders?

Seu

Sep 16, 2011, 6:53:08 AM9/16/11
Hello Experts,

There are certain senders to newsgroups who waste time by going way off
the subject. Others contain bad language, etc. I want to block them out.

Please advise how to do this. My version of TBird is 2.0.0.24.

TIA

Ron Hunter

Sep 16, 2011, 7:56:21 AM9/16/11
Display a message from the sender you want to block. Right-click on the
'From:' in the address line, and select 'Create Filter from Message'.
Then just click 'OK' at the bottom of the box that opens. It is not
necessary to change anything in the box unless you want something other
than 'delete' as the action. In this context, 'delete' means 'don't
show any messages from this user'.
Close the message edit box.

Thomas Boehm

Sep 16, 2011, 11:55:56 AM9/16/11
I would chose "Ignore Subthread" instead of "Delete". Otherwise you will
still read responses and flame wars.

John McGaw

Sep 16, 2011, 12:57:42 PM9/16/11
No, not really. What the action you describe does is to create a filter
which acts upon information which the undesirable sender provides - his
supposed email address. The worst of the trolls, flamers, OT idiots and
other newsgroup dregs change this information regularly so as not to be
blocked by simple filtering tactics. The information they provide passes no
checks and can be almost anything -- mine says that I am 'no.where@all' but
I can change that in a second or two.

Thomas Boehm

Sep 16, 2011, 1:41:35 PM9/16/11
Too bad that you have a static IP address ;-)

And there are more headers you can use for filtering...

Ron Hunter

Sep 16, 2011, 3:25:57 PM9/16/11
But that won't keep you from seeing that person's posts in OTHER threads.

Ron Hunter

Sep 16, 2011, 3:27:08 PM9/16/11
And I can block it just as fast. If I have to do that a couple of
times, then I go to the message headers and get the originating IP, and
block that (or the whole domain).

Thomas Boehm

Sep 16, 2011, 5:25:19 PM9/16/11
Why would that be? I use a filter as you suggested, but instead of
deleting the post I ignore the subthread. If the condition in the filter
matches it will do that in EVERY subthread.

Duane

Sep 16, 2011, 9:22:25 PM9/16/11
On 9/16/2011 3:27 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

<snip>

> And I can block it just as fast. If I have to do that a couple of times,
> then I go to the message headers and get the originating IP, and block
> that (or the whole domain).
How do you block a specific IP address or domain in TB?

Ron Hunter

Sep 16, 2011, 9:57:02 PM9/16/11
You can define filters in the more recent versions.

Thomas Boehm

Sep 17, 2011, 6:15:52 AM9/17/11
Add NNTP-Posting-Host to the message headers you can use for filtering

Message Filters -> New -> chose Customize from the headers drop down
list -> ...

Of course this only works if that person posts always from the same IP.

I would refrain from filtering whole domains as there will be collateral
damage. It's quite unlikely that a troll changes his email frequently
and uses his own domain.

Ron Hunter

Sep 17, 2011, 7:21:18 AM9/17/11
I also have blocked any messages coming in with 'google' in their
header. A bit of a 'shotgun' approach, but it does the job.

Duane

Sep 18, 2011, 1:01:57 PM9/18/11
Thanks to all.