Can't access Yahoo accounts

Dan

Mar 4, 2021, 7:57:01 AM3/4/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
I have 15 accounts, gmail, live, hotmail, & 3 yahoos (1 is their
rocketmail). Over the past month, one by one, TB will not access the
yahoos. It tries for about 2 minutes, then says "sending of PW for
XXXXX.yahoo.com did not succeed. Mail server pop.mail.yahoo.com
responded: Server error. Try again later" Naturally, "trying again" does
the same thing. Tried deleting/reentering pw's, which DO work going to
yahoo's site. All other accounts are fine, as usual. What might this be?

TIA

WaltS48

Mar 4, 2021, 8:11:15 AM3/4/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org

Bill Walsh

Mar 4, 2021, 8:40:15 AM3/4/21
to support-t...@lists.mozilla.org
On 3/4/21 7:20 AM, Onno Ekker wrote:
> On 3/4/2021 6:59 AM, Dan via support-thunderbird wrote:
>> I have 15 accounts, gmail, live, hotmail, & 3 yahoos (1 is their
>> rocketmail). Over the past month, one by one, TB will not access the
>> yahoos. It tries for about 2 minutes, then says "sending of PW for
>> XXXXX.yahoo.com did not succeed. Mail server pop.mail.yahoo.com
>> responded: Server error. Try again later" Naturally, "trying again"
>> does the same thing. Tried deleting/reentering pw's, which DO work
>> going to yahoo's site. All other accounts are fine, as usual. What
>> might this be?
>>
>> TIA
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> You have to go into Tools -> Account Settings and change the Security
> Settings under Server Settings into Connection Security SSL/TLS and
> Authentication method OAauth2. Don't forget to also do this for your
> Outgoing Sever (SMTP), otherwise you won't be able to send messages
> with Yahoo!, only receive them. This should work for both POP3 and
> IMAP accounts with Yahoo!
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Onno
I have jumped through EVERY hoop and for well over a year have been
unable to access my "Yahoo" accounts with Thunderbird. Absolutely
NOTHING works.

--
There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo.
Please use in that order.

The soap box represents exercising one's right to freedom of speech to influence politics to defend liberty.
The ballot box represents exercising one's right to vote to elect a government which defends liberty.
The jury box represents using jury nullification to refuse to convict someone being prosecuted for breaking an unjust law that decreases liberty.
The ammo box represents exercising one's right to keep and bear arms to oppose, in armed conflict, a government that decreases liberty.

Arthur Conan Doyle

Mar 4, 2021, 9:21:27 AM3/4/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Most email providers have blocked mail client access with web passwords in favor
of OAuth2 or app specific passwords.

--
Usenet: The world's first (and best) social network.

WaltS48

Mar 4, 2021, 10:37:25 AM3/4/21
On 3/4/21 8:40 AM, Bill Walsh wrote:
> On 3/4/21 7:20 AM, Onno Ekker wrote:
>> On 3/4/2021 6:59 AM, Dan via support-thunderbird wrote:
>>> I have 15 accounts, gmail, live, hotmail, & 3 yahoos (1 is their
>>> rocketmail). Over the past month, one by one, TB will not access the
>>> yahoos. It tries for about 2 minutes, then says "sending of PW for
>>> XXXXX.yahoo.com did not succeed. Mail server pop.mail.yahoo.com
>>> responded: Server error. Try again later" Naturally, "trying again"
>>> does the same thing. Tried deleting/reentering pw's, which DO work
>>> going to yahoo's site. All other accounts are fine, as usual. What
>>> might this be?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> You have to go into Tools -> Account Settings and change the Security
>> Settings under Server Settings into Connection Security SSL/TLS and
>> Authentication method OAauth2. Don't forget to also do this for your
>> Outgoing Sever (SMTP), otherwise you won't be able to send messages
>> with Yahoo!, only receive them. This should work for both POP3 and
>> IMAP accounts with Yahoo!
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Onno
> I have jumped through EVERY hoop and for well over a year have been
> unable to access my "Yahoo" accounts with Thunderbird. Absolutely
> NOTHING works.

POP3 or IMAP account?

When I attempt creating one or the other, using Thunderbird's account
wizard, I get Port 995, SSL/TLS and OAuth2 for the incoming server
information. Port 465, SSL/TLS and OAuth2 for the outgoing server when I
check "Configure manually".

Have you tried backing up your profile, removing the account and
recreating it?

Maybe it is time to create an AOL account. Same servers.

Bill Walsh

Mar 4, 2021, 10:46:51 AM3/4/21
On 3/4/21 9:37 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 3/4/21 8:40 AM, Bill Walsh wrote:

>>> Hi Dan,
>>>
>>> You have to go into Tools -> Account Settings and change the
>>> Security Settings under Server Settings into Connection Security
>>> SSL/TLS and Authentication method OAauth2. Don't forget to also do
>>> this for your Outgoing Sever (SMTP), otherwise you won't be able to
>>> send messages with Yahoo!, only receive them. This should work for
>>> both POP3 and IMAP accounts with Yahoo!
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Onno
>> I have jumped through EVERY hoop and for well over a year have been
>> unable to access my "Yahoo" accounts with Thunderbird. Absolutely
>> NOTHING works.
>>

> POP3 or IMAP account?
Both

> When I attempt creating one or the other, using Thunderbird's account
> wizard, I get Port 995, SSL/TLS and OAuth2 for the incoming server
> information. Port 465, SSL/TLS and OAuth2 for the outgoing server when
> I check "Configure manually".
OAuth. The fancy generated high security password. Normal password.
Every kind of authentication. Everything.

> Have you tried backing up your profile, removing the account and
> recreating it?
Yes

> Maybe it is time to create an AOL account. Same servers.

Had one of those ages ago.

For nearly twenty years my e-mail account worked flawlessly. Never had
an issue. Then they went to high security and it hasn't worked since.

WaltS48

Mar 4, 2021, 11:00:14 AM3/4/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
On 3/4/21 8:40 AM, Bill Walsh wrote:
> On 3/4/21 7:20 AM, Onno Ekker wrote:
>> On 3/4/2021 6:59 AM, Dan via support-thunderbird wrote:
>>> I have 15 accounts, gmail, live, hotmail, & 3 yahoos (1 is their
>>> rocketmail). Over the past month, one by one, TB will not access the
>>> yahoos. It tries for about 2 minutes, then says "sending of PW for
>>> XXXXX.yahoo.com did not succeed. Mail server pop.mail.yahoo.com
>>> responded: Server error. Try again later" Naturally, "trying again"
>>> does the same thing. Tried deleting/reentering pw's, which DO work
>>> going to yahoo's site. All other accounts are fine, as usual. What
>>> might this be?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> You have to go into Tools -> Account Settings and change the Security
>> Settings under Server Settings into Connection Security SSL/TLS and
>> Authentication method OAauth2. Don't forget to also do this for your
>> Outgoing Sever (SMTP), otherwise you won't be able to send messages
>> with Yahoo!, only receive them. This should work for both POP3 and
>> IMAP accounts with Yahoo!
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Onno
> I have jumped through EVERY hoop and for well over a year have been
> unable to access my "Yahoo" accounts with Thunderbird. Absolutely
> NOTHING works.

I meant same servers different domain names.

I  can use aol.com or aim.com for my AOL email address.

😉 Good Guy 😉

Mar 4, 2021, 11:19:43 AM3/4/21
On 04/03/2021 05:59, Dan wrote:
I have 15 accounts, gmail, live, hotmail, & 3 yahoos (1 is their rocketmail). Over the past month, one by one, TB will not access the yahoos. It tries for about 2 minutes, then says "sending of PW for XXXXX.yahoo.com did not succeed. Mail server pop.mail.yahoo.com responded: Server error. Try again later" Naturally, "trying again" does the same thing. Tried deleting/reentering pw's, which DO work going to yahoo's site. All other accounts are fine, as usual. What might this be?

TIA

First check your settings and password(s).    I just created a new yahoo account on my Windows 10 and it worked first time.  Admittedly, I use imap rather than pop3 but apart from that it should just work if you let Thunderbird configure the settings from its own database.  You just need to provide a password and the configuration also gives you an opportunity to test whether the settings to send an email worked or not.  So it can check SMTP easily.

Did you try if smtp works or not?

Please post a screenshot of your settings and you can blur out sensitive info but the imap/pop3/smtp settings should be visible to us.

--

With over 1.2 billion devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

😉 Good Guy 😉

Mar 4, 2021, 11:24:18 AM3/4/21
On 04/03/2021 16:00, WaltS48 wrote:

I  can use aol.com or aim.com for my AOL email address.

Same here including netscape.net!!  Now this is going to create a stir here because I still have a netscape.net account which was taken over by AOL so now I can use aim, aol, Netscape.  Now Yahoo seems to have taken over!!  that's good for monopoly.

Nobody

Mar 4, 2021, 11:32:33 AM3/4/21
On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 07:40:04 -0600, Bill Walsh <Bi...@kctu.com> wrote:

>On 3/4/21 7:20 AM, Onno Ekker wrote:
>> On 3/4/2021 6:59 AM, Dan via support-thunderbird wrote:
>>> I have 15 accounts, gmail, live, hotmail, & 3 yahoos (1 is their
>>> rocketmail). Over the past month, one by one, TB will not access the
>>> yahoos. It tries for about 2 minutes, then says "sending of PW for
>>> XXXXX.yahoo.com did not succeed. Mail server pop.mail.yahoo.com
>>> responded: Server error. Try again later" Naturally, "trying again"
>>> does the same thing. Tried deleting/reentering pw's, which DO work
>>> going to yahoo's site. All other accounts are fine, as usual. What
>>> might this be?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> You have to go into Tools -> Account Settings and change the Security
>> Settings under Server Settings into Connection Security SSL/TLS and
>> Authentication method OAauth2. Don't forget to also do this for your
>> Outgoing Sever (SMTP), otherwise you won't be able to send messages
>> with Yahoo!, only receive them. This should work for both POP3 and
>> IMAP accounts with Yahoo!
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Onno
>I have jumped through EVERY hoop and for well over a year have been
>unable to access my "Yahoo" accounts with Thunderbird. Absolutely
>NOTHING works.

I ask the same question when others have this seeming 'OAuth2' problem
with either gmail or Yahoo! Are you deleting any/all passwords
relating to the non-functioning account from your TB?

Go through the set-up process and for that time only, when asked,
enter the password you would use to access Yahoo! (or gmail)
on-line/through your browser.

That will trigger mail/Yahoo! to place their own token as password in
your TB.

Steve

Mar 4, 2021, 11:50:46 AM3/4/21
On 2021-03-04 7:40 a.m., Bill Walsh wrote:
> On 3/4/21 7:20 AM, Onno Ekker wrote:
>> On 3/4/2021 6:59 AM, Dan via support-thunderbird wrote:
>>> I have 15 accounts, gmail, live, hotmail, & 3 yahoos (1 is their rocketmail). Over the past month, one by one, TB will not access the yahoos. It tries for about 2 minutes, then says "sending of PW for XXXXX.yahoo.com did not succeed. Mail server pop.mail.yahoo.com responded: Server error. Try again later" Naturally, "trying again" does the same thing. Tried deleting/reentering pw's, which DO work going to yahoo's site. All other accounts are fine, as usual. What might this be?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> You have to go into Tools -> Account Settings and change the Security Settings under Server Settings into Connection Security SSL/TLS and Authentication method OAauth2. Don't forget to also do this for your Outgoing Sever (SMTP), otherwise you won't be able to send messages with Yahoo!, only receive them. This should work for both POP3 and IMAP accounts with Yahoo!
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Onno
> I have jumped through EVERY hoop and for well over a year have been unable to access my "Yahoo" accounts with Thunderbird. Absolutely NOTHING works.

One more thing that's needed for OAuth to complete: cookies must be allowed in TB Options/Preferences, Privacy & Security.

fr...@anywhere.there

Mar 4, 2021, 5:13:26 PM3/4/21
On 2021-03-04 13:40, Bill Walsh wrote:
> I have jumped through EVERY hoop and for well over a year have been
> unable to access my "Yahoo" accounts with Thunderbird. Absolutely
> NOTHING works.

In my case, it was a month and I just overcame the impasse reading
this thread.

1 Log in to mail.yahoo.com
2 Click your user icon top right and then 'Manage account'
3 Click 'Account security'
4 Go to bottom and click 'Manage app passwords'
5 Choose to generate a password for 'other' applications
6 Specify Thunderbird as other application and confirm

A password will be generated which has to replace your old Thunderbird
password. When re-installing, do not use OAauth2, use Autodetect.

It worked for me. Good luck.

frank

Bill Walsh

Mar 4, 2021, 11:15:35 PM3/4/21
On 3/4/21 4:13 PM, fr...@anywhere.there wrote:
> On 2021-03-04 13:40, Bill Walsh wrote:
>> I have jumped through EVERY hoop and for well over a year have been
>> unable to access my "Yahoo" accounts with Thunderbird. Absolutely
>> NOTHING works.
>
> In my case, it was a month and I just overcame the impasse reading
> this thread.
>
> 1   Log in to mail.yahoo.com
> 2   Click your user icon top right and then 'Manage account'
> 3   Click 'Account security'
> 4   Go to bottom and click 'Manage app passwords'
> 5   Choose to generate a password for 'other' applications
> 6   Specify Thunderbird as other application and confirm
>
> A password will be generated which has to replace your old Thunderbird
> password. When re-installing, do not use OAauth2, use Autodetect.
>
> It worked for me. Good luck.
>

> frank
Tried their generated password. Didn't work.

fr...@anywhere.there

Mar 5, 2021, 4:42:44 AM3/5/21
On 2021-03-05 04:15, Bill Walsh wrote:
> Tried their generated password. Didn't work.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I uninstalled Thunderbird 78 and
installed Thunderbird 52.

Even if re-installing ends with a complaint about the password, you
are done if Thunderbird shows your Yahoo account. Request messages
manually and paste the new password in the pop-up.

That was my solution.

frank

"\"Re...@home.com

Mar 5, 2021, 8:58:27 AM3/5/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Thank you..Thank you...Thank you

This just fixed my problem from last November (even after 2 hours on
phone with Yahoo !!). My 2 Yahoo accounts now work as before in TB. I
tried Yahoo's forwarding, which worked for awhile to receive, but even
that hit a roadblock last month.

FYI, the steps were slightly different, probably because I'm on a Mac.
Also older TB 52.9.1

Thanks much again

Nobody

Mar 5, 2021, 11:17:34 AM3/5/21
On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 22:15:25 -0600, Bill Walsh <Bi...@kctu.com> wrote:

>On 3/4/21 4:13 PM, fr...@anywhere.there wrote:
>> On 2021-03-04 13:40, Bill Walsh wrote:
>>> I have jumped through EVERY hoop and for well over a year have been
>>> unable to access my "Yahoo" accounts with Thunderbird. Absolutely
>>> NOTHING works.
>>
>> In my case, it was a month and I just overcame the impasse reading
>> this thread.
>>
>> 1   Log in to mail.yahoo.com
>> 2   Click your user icon top right and then 'Manage account'
>> 3   Click 'Account security'
>> 4   Go to bottom and click 'Manage app passwords'
>> 5   Choose to generate a password for 'other' applications
>> 6   Specify Thunderbird as other application and confirm
>>
>> A password will be generated which has to replace your old Thunderbird
>> password. When re-installing, do not use OAauth2, use Autodetect.
>>
>> It worked for me. Good luck.
>>

>> frank
>Tried their generated password. Didn't work.

But did you delete any/all relevant passwords to that account in TB
before going through Yahoo!'s process?

Chris Ilias

Mar 5, 2021, 11:22:24 AM3/5/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Dan,
Have you receive the answer you were looking for? This thread seems to
have drifted, and I just want to make sure we're still being helped.

fr...@anywhere.there

Mar 5, 2021, 12:08:00 PM3/5/21
On 2021-03-05 16:17, Nobody wrote:
> But did you delete any/all relevant passwords to that account in TB
> before going through Yahoo!'s process?

I generated the Yahoo own password online. I uninstalled Thunderbird
78, installed Thunderbird 52. When activating my Yahoo account in
Thunderbird, both the old password and the new Yahoo-generated
password failed. But there was a Yahoo entry in Thunderbird!

I requested for it new messages and entered the new password in the
pop-up. It worked.

I then switched to Ubuntu without uninstalling and re-installing
anything, just using the existing Yahoo account. In the Thunderbird
pop-up for new Yahoo messages I entered the Yahoo-password. It worked.

frank

Nobody

Mar 5, 2021, 1:06:12 PM3/5/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
My question about 'deleting' was in responding to Bill Walsh, where he
stated, "Tried their generated password. Didn't work."

obelar

Mar 12, 2021, 12:50:58 PM3/12/21
to Steve
This is the best solution I've gotten. If after signing in your mail
doesn't appear, just restart Thunderbird. Thanks Steve!