McAfee Anti-Spam Extension Crashes

Joe Brown

Aug 9, 2012, 2:35:13 PM8/9/12
McAfee finally got around to updating McAfee Anti-Spam Thunderbird
Extension to V2.0. It now crashes Thunderbird after you receive or read
an email.

I know it's the extension because when I disable it Thunderbird works as
it should with no crash.

This is just information to anyone using this product and experience
this problem.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
and 1TB hard drive.

Mike Easter

Aug 9, 2012, 3:18:43 PM8/9/12
I just read 2 (actually 1+) pages of McAfee forum messages here:
https://community.mcafee.com/message/238950 Mcafee Anti Spam Toolbar and
Thunderbird 9.0 (messages from 2012 Jan-Jul)

Nowhere in the 10 comments did I see any really useful advice.

This is what I consider useful advice in the moz kb:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Anti-virus_Software
Antivirus software .. Many experts recommend turning off email scanning
in antivirus software since it provides no added protection and corrupts
and destructs email folders much more often than viruses and other
malware do. It also eats up CPU power, slows down sending and receiving,
and causes many problems such as time-outs and changes in account settings.

That article goes on to say that normal realtime scanning and no email
in or out scanning is sufficient strategy.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Aug 9, 2012, 3:34:36 PM8/9/12
oops. I was mistakenly addressing AV activity, not spam.

Mike Easter wrote:
> Joe Brown wrote:
>> McAfee finally got around to updating McAfee Anti-Spam Thunderbird
>> Extension to V2.0. It now crashes Thunderbird after you receive or read
>> an email.

> I just read 2 (actually 1+) pages of McAfee forum messages here:
> https://community.mcafee.com/message/238950 Mcafee Anti Spam Toolbar and
> Thunderbird 9.0 (messages from 2012 Jan-Jul)

Here's some input in the moz forum about McAfee's antispam :

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2414591 Mcafee Anti
Spam Toolbar and Thunderbird 9.0 (2012 Jan-May)

I cannot find the term 'mcafee' in the collection of 'a.m.o. reviewed'
Tbird add-ons here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

... and the hits there on spam and antispam do not include anything
about mcafee; that is to say, it does not appear in the 'lineup' of
addons/extensions available from Moz, which I would consider a negative.

The a.m.o site says: "The add-ons listed here have been created by
thousands of developers from our community, ranging from individual
hobbyists to large corporations. All publicly listed add-ons are
reviewed by a team of editors before being released."

--
Mike Easter