Android app that can sync with Thunderbird calendar?

Rhino

Feb 2, 2016, 6:51:45 PM2/2/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
I suppose it is too much to hope for that someone has built an Android
app that can sync with my Thunderbird calendar but I thought I'd ask
here if such an app exists. I gather there is no Android version of Tbird.

I'd like to be able to see my appointments on both my phone and my
laptop and add/change/delete appointments from either place.

If there is nothing in the Android universe that syncs with Tbird, I
suppose I'm looking at a new cross-platform app for both the laptop and
the phone. If so, can anyone suggest something?

--
Rhino

Keith Nuttle

Feb 2, 2016, 7:04:29 PM2/2/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
I have been looking for something similar to snyc the calendars on my
computers. They are on the LAN, and I do not have a gmail of similar
account. I would like some thing that would do it automatically but
would be glad to have one that would do a batch snyc. ie as I am getting
ready for a meeting.

Since there was a relationship between Google and Mozilla I doubt we
will see any thing for either situation soon.

Chris Ramsden

Feb 2, 2016, 7:12:36 PM2/2/16
to thunderbird mailing list

Most of us would use an online calendar such as Google Calendar and sync both the Android device and Lightning to it.  Both the Android calendar app and Lightning have native support for the requisite calendar protocols.  Bear in mind that Android == Google.  You're probably already using a Google account to make your Android phone usable.

Synching both devices to a common cloud based calendar ticks the boxes in your specification.
--
Chris

Brian Gregory

Feb 2, 2016, 9:18:00 PM2/2/16
On 03/02/2016 00:05, Chris Ramsden wrote:
> Most of us would use an online calendar such as Google Calendar and sync
> both the Android device and Lightning to it. Both the Android calendar
> app and Lightning have native support for the requisite calendar
> protocols. Bear in mind that Android == Google. You're probably
> already using a Google account to make your Android phone usable.
>
> Synching both devices to a common cloud based calendar ticks the boxes
> in your specification.
> --
> Chris

Where are the instructions on how to make Lightening Sync with Google
Calendar? I've never seen any information about this anywhere.

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).

Chris Ramsden

Feb 3, 2016, 3:51:51 AM2/3/16
to Brian Gregory, thunderbird mailing list

Here's one guide:  https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/using-lightning-google-calendar

I don't use that method myself,  as both Google Calendar and Lightning support a protocol named caldav,  making the addon unnecessary.

This second article should help you find the caldav approach: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Using_Lightning_with_Google_Calendars

--
Chris

On 3 Feb 2016, at 02:17, Brian Gregory <bvdvgvrv...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 03/02/2016 00:05, Chris Ramsden wrote:
Most of us would use an online calendar such as Google Calendar and sync
both the Android device and Lightning to it. Both the Android calendar
app and Lightning have native support for the requisite calendar
protocols. Bear in mind that Android == Google. You're probably
already using a Google account to make your Android phone usable.

Synching both devices to a common cloud based calendar ticks the boxes
in your specification.
--
Chris

Bob Henson

Feb 3, 2016, 4:09:42 AM2/3/16
On 03/02/2016 2:17 am, Brian Gregory wrote:
> On 03/02/2016 00:05, Chris Ramsden wrote:
>> Most of us would use an online calendar such as Google Calendar and sync
>> both the Android device and Lightning to it. Both the Android calendar
>> app and Lightning have native support for the requisite calendar
>> protocols. Bear in mind that Android == Google. You're probably
>> already using a Google account to make your Android phone usable.
>>
>> Synching both devices to a common cloud based calendar ticks the boxes
>> in your specification.
>> --
>> Chris
>
> Where are the instructions on how to make Lightening Sync with Google
> Calendar? I've never seen any information about this anywhere.

You don't really need any. Add the Provider for Google Calendar
extension, tell Lightning to set up a new calendar, tell it that it is
online and is a Google calendar, type in your Google account details and
Robert is your avuncular relative - all automatic.

Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Q: How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?
A: We don't know, it's never been tried.

Ed Mullen

Feb 3, 2016, 6:48:30 AM2/3/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
I have Calenderscope on all of my PCs. I use IMAP email on all of my
devices. The add-on for Calenderscope, HandySync For Google, with a
Gmail account, neatly syncs all of my calendars.

Yes, you do sometimes have to pay for good software.

<http://www.calendarscope.com/>

My wife and I can see the same calendar on two smartphones, three
tablets, and three PCs. Make an entry on any device and in 30 minutes
it's echoed to all the devices. The time delay is configurable. Do it
every five minutes if you're anal about it.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Keith Nuttle

Feb 3, 2016, 8:41:43 AM2/3/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org

> I have Calenderscope on all of my PCs. I use IMAP email on all of my
> devices. The add-on for Calenderscope, HandySync For Google, with a
> Gmail account, neatly syncs all of my calendars.
>
> Yes, you do sometimes have to pay for good software.
>
> <http://www.calendarscope.com/>
>
> My wife and I can see the same calendar on two smartphones, three
> tablets, and three PCs. Make an entry on any device and in 30 minutes
> it's echoed to all the devices. The time delay is configurable. Do it
> every five minutes if you're anal about it.

As I read the website Calendarscope is a separate piece of software that
is independent of Thunderbird, and you still need to you thier server
for the system to work.

As a user of the software have I read it correctly?

Tanstaafl

Feb 3, 2016, 10:06:05 AM2/3/16
to support-t...@lists.mozilla.org
On 2/2/2016 9:28 PM, Ed Mullen <ejEM...@edmullen.net> wrote:
> Rhino wrote on 2/2/2016 6:51 PM:
>> If there is nothing in the Android universe that syncs with Tbird, I
>> suppose I'm looking at a new cross-platform app for both the laptop and
>> the phone. If so, can anyone suggest something?

> I have Calenderscope on all of my PCs. I use IMAP email on all of my
> devices. The add-on for Calenderscope, HandySync For Google, with a
> Gmail account, neatly syncs all of my calendars.
>
> Yes, you do sometimes have to pay for good software.

Provider for Google Calendar syncs Google Calendars perfectly - even
multiple calendars, and it is 100% free.

Yes, sometimes good software is free.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/provider-for-google-calendar/

Ed Mullen

Feb 3, 2016, 12:09:45 PM2/3/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Yes, standalone sw. If by "thier server" you mean the HandySync add-on,
no, you're not using Duality's server. HandySync syncs directly with
your Google/Gmail calendar. On PCs you need to have Calendarscope
installed. On Android and iOS devices just set up your Gmail account and
use the native calendar to access your G/calendar.

CS is a great program and the developer is incredibly responsive. Once
an update had a problem. I emailed them and they had it fixed the same day.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/