Is it Possible?

Nancy Jones

Mar 3, 2011, 10:46:08 AM3/3/11
to support-...@lists.mozilla.org
I have a simple question and I think it would be wonderful if the support

process was simpler for those of us with less technological ability.

Why can't we have a simple form for asking a simple question?

My question is "Why would Mozilla Firefox have the need to access

my User Account Controls? It came up after I booted up my system

this morning and I've been on it since. Is there anyone out there that can
help me?

Stephanie Daugherty

Mar 3, 2011, 10:55:27 AM3/3/11
to Planning how we can best support our users
This list really isn't being used anymore, and when it was used, it
was used to discuss and plan support offerings, rather than to
actually provide support. http://support.mozilla.com/ is the correct
place to go for help.

However, this question has a really simple answer. Firefox defaults to
automatically downloading and installing security updates. If there is
a security update available, it will be downloaded, and the next time
you run firefox, it will be upgraded - causing a UAC popup on Vista
and Windows 7. This is normal, expected behavior, and it's a very good
thing, because security updates to your browser are absolutely
critical to protecting you from viruses, spyware, and other nastiness
on the internet.

-Stephanie