Mozilla VPN Thoughts

Revvie Quar

Mar 21, 2021, 1:51:50 AM3/21/21
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org

I'm giving it a shot, and so far, so good. Flat $4.99/month with no
long-term or yearly discount-type contract.

Pros:

- Little, if any, reduction in download/upload speeds.
- IPv6 support.
- Doesn't leak DNS requests (as far as I can tell).
- A person has a decent number of servers/countries from which to choose.
- A person can quit/delete account at any time.

Cons:

- GRC's Shields Up! shows that most IPv4 ports are only closed, not
"stealthed".
- Amazon Prime videos won't play with the VPN enabled (along with a few
others which I don't have). Oh well....

--
Revvie Quar

Gryphons RAWK!

Martin Michálek

Mar 22, 2021, 7:08:19 AM3/22/21
to Revvie Quar via support-firefox
Isn't Mozilla VPN just rebranding of another one(I don't remember the
name)? Also VPNs aren't much helpful for privacy in general.

Andy Burns

Mar 22, 2021, 7:46:33 PM3/22/21
Martin Michálek wrote:

> Isn't Mozilla VPN just rebranding of another one(I don't remember the
> name)? Also VPNs aren't much helpful for privacy in general.

Isn't it based on wireguard, which has just been removed from pfSense
ant netBSD for, as yet, undisclosed reasons?

obelar

Mar 22, 2021, 7:46:43 PM3/22/21
to Martin Michálek
On 3/22/2021 6:08 AM, Martin Michálek wrote:
> Isn't Mozilla VPN just rebranding of another one(I don't remember the
> name)? Also VPNs aren't much helpful for privacy in general.

Its built on Mullvad and yeah it isn't hiding you entirely, but its a
good step. Just make sure your browser isn't leaking your IP.

Revvie Quar

Mar 22, 2021, 7:46:56 PM3/22/21
On 3/22/2021 5:08, Martin Michálek wrote:
> Isn't Mozilla VPN just rebranding of another one(I don't remember the
> name)? Also VPNs aren't much helpful for privacy in general.

Sites like WhatIsMyIP show that my ISP is Tzulo, for what it's worth for
both IPv4 and IPv6.

As to your question, I know not.

Revvie Quar

Mar 22, 2021, 7:52:11 PM3/22/21
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
On 3/22/2021 5:08, Martin Michálek wrote:
> Isn't Mozilla VPN just rebranding of another one(I don't remember the
> name)? Also VPNs aren't much helpful for privacy in general.

When I run DUMo, I get a needed tunnel update for an outfit called
WireGuard. Is that the one to which you refer?