news.mozilla.org server

.Q.

Mar 31, 2006, 12:09:51 AM3/31/06
There was a leak of the mozilla groups onto Usenet, but it has been
fixed. Anyone who wants to access this newsgroup should connect to the
server news.mozilla.org. If you continue to use another newsserver,
most folks reading the group won't see your posts, and you won't see
theirs.

The bug was <http://mozillanews.org/bugzilla_warning.php3?id=326759>

--
.Q.

gwtc

Mar 31, 2006, 2:04:10 AM3/31/06
.Q. wrote:

Fixed, no, not really. The groups have been showing up on aioe.org and
usenet2.ath.cx, but when posted to them from there, they don't show up
on the news.mozilla.org server, but only on theirs.

for aioe.org:
From: [snip]
Newsgroups: mozilla.support.firefox
Subject: Re: news.mozilla.org server
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:46:22 -0800

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For usenet2.ath.cx:
From: [snip]
Newsgroups: mozilla.support.firefox
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:58:24 -0800

--
Time for another change

Me

Mar 31, 2006, 1:46:22 AM3/31/06
are you sure!?

gwtc

Mar 31, 2006, 2:31:22 AM3/31/06
Me wrote:

looks like I'm wrong. They *ARE* showing up. Slowly but for surely.

jg

Mar 31, 2006, 11:19:40 AM3/31/06
On 3/30/2006 11:04 PM gwtc scribbled:

aioe.org is a free news service - might have something to do with it...

»Q«

Mar 31, 2006, 5:25:46 PM3/31/06
gwtc <TheNe...@n375c4p3.n37> wrote in

> .Q. wrote:
>
>> There was a leak of the mozilla groups onto Usenet, but it has
>> been fixed. Anyone who wants to access this newsgroup should
>> connect to the server news.mozilla.org. If you continue to use
>> another newsserver, most folks reading the group won't see your
>> posts, and you won't see theirs.
>>
>> The bug was
>> <http://mozillanews.org/bugzilla_warning.php3?id=326759>
>>
> Fixed, no, not really.

Yes, fixed; articles from n.m.o don't leak to Usenet, which was
all the bug was about.

And for the most part, articles from Usenet do not make it to n.m.o,
though my OP in this thread somehow /did/ make it. I posted it to
the AIOE Usenet server, not to n.m.o. I didn't expect to see it
here at n.m.o, but here it is, with an NNTP-Posting-Host of
158.64.14.86, which is in Luxembourg. I'm nowhere near Luxembourg;
it looks like some machine there connected to n.m.o as a client and
posted my Usenet post here. Now I wonder if all posts make to
mozilla.* via AIOE will make it to n.m.o, and I'll test some when I
get a chance.

> The groups have been showing up on aioe.org
> and usenet2.ath.cx, but when posted to them from there, they don't
> show up on the news.mozilla.org server, but only on theirs.

And the groups are on a lot of other Usenet servers, as you can see
in the Path headers. Once Usenet groups are created, it's very very
difficult to destroy them. They'd have to be rmgrouped on every
Usenet server which currently carries them.

AFAIAC, we're stuck with the existence of those groups on Usenet,
but traffic to them is very very light now. I only saw a few posts
(since the leak was fixed) to the Usenet version of
mozilla.support.firefox, so I posted the OP[1] in this
thread to let those folks know they should come to n.m.o. All the
other mozilla.* Usenet groups have have been completely dead since
the leak fix.

--
»Q«

»Q«

Mar 31, 2006, 5:44:55 PM3/31/06
»Q« <box...@gmx.net> wrote in

> And for the most part, articles from Usenet do not make it to
> n.m.o, though my OP in this thread somehow /did/ make it. I
> posted it to the AIOE Usenet server, not to n.m.o. I didn't
> expect to see it here at n.m.o, but here it is, with an
> NNTP-Posting-Host of 158.64.14.86, which is in Luxembourg. I'm
> nowhere near Luxembourg; it looks like some machine there
> connected to n.m.o as a client and posted my Usenet post here.
> Now I wonder if all posts make to mozilla.* via AIOE will make it
> to n.m.o, and I'll test some when I get a chance.

I see that <mho...@netscape.net>'s reply to me, which was also
posted to AIOE, has also made it to n.m.o, and with that same IP
stamp. I'll try to get the evidence together in concise form and
post to m.dev.mozilla-org, probably tomorrow.

--
»Q«

gwtc

Mar 31, 2006, 6:58:07 PM3/31/06
»Q« wrote:

> 籕� <box...@gmx.net> wrote in

ME is actually me. One of my many aliases. I was surpised to see that
it made it through.

Chris Ilias

Mar 31, 2006, 8:09:01 PM3/31/06
_舔冒 spoke thusly on 31/03/2006 5:44 PM:

> I see that <mho...@netscape.net>'s reply to me, which was also
> posted to AIOE, has also made it to n.m.o, and with that same IP
> stamp. I'll try to get the evidence together in concise form and
> post to m.dev.mozilla-org, probably tomorrow.

Post it in bug 326759, and I'll reopen it.
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

.Q.

Apr 5, 2006, 10:25:33 AM4/5/06
Mark Lloyd <mll...@roachmail.comant> wrote in

> mozilla.support.firefox is available from my ISP's server, but is
> not on the list for news.mozilla.org.

You need to re-download the active group list for news.mozilla.org to
get the new groups. I'm sorry I can't give specific instructions for
Agent.