"find on this page" not working in firefox 2.0.0.17

Occi Ori

Sep 27, 2008, 2:42:35 AM9/27/08
to occ...@gmail.com

Hi,

I've updated the software to the latest version of this program (see
subject header) and have tried disabling add-ons . . .but the "find on
this page" feature is _still_ greyed out.

Since this feature is essential in my work, I'm beginning to feel
desperate.

Would someone who understands the problem and knows how to solve it
please advise, ideally by email?

Many thanks.

Yeebok Shu'in

Sep 27, 2008, 6:55:29 PM9/27/08
Are you *certain* 2.0.0.17 is the most recent version of Firefox ?
I am using 3.0.3, and far as I can tell that's newer (since it
autoupdated about 5 minutes ago at most).

I presume you're hitting CTRL F to open the find window. Have you tried
Firefox's safe mode (check the start menu for it), that'll disable all
your extensions so you tell for sure if it's them.

Erik Hahn

Sep 27, 2008, 7:12:13 PM9/27/08
On 2008-09-27, Yeebok Shu'in <ye...@yeeb.com> wrote:
> Are you *certain* 2.0.0.17 is the most recent version of Firefox ?
> I am using 3.0.3, and far as I can tell that's newer (since it
> autoupdated about 5 minutes ago at most).
2.0.0.17 is the latest version of the 2 series which is still supported.

--
hackerkey://v4sw5hw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7LwXm4l7Gi2e2t4b7Ken4/7a16s0r1p-5.62/-6.56g5OR

Occi Ori

Sep 27, 2008, 7:13:59 PM9/27/08

--------------
Ah! I should have said, the most recent version downloadable for this
machine & the only one Mozilla offers when I check for updates. . .
Thanks so much for your answer and I'll follow your suggestion for an
experiment in Safe Mode.
________

Occi Ori

Sep 27, 2008, 7:16:47 PM9/27/08

Hi Erik Kahn, you were posting as I wrote. . .What does that line of
hacker code mean? That a greyed-out 'find' feature is the mark of a
hack??? I hope that's only my imagination over-working . . .

Fox on the run

Sep 27, 2008, 8:15:26 PM9/27/08

Check out http://www.hackerkey.com/hacker.html to decipher what his
hacker key means or to create your own (first I heard of it,
interesting in a geeky way).

JB

Yeebok Shu'in

Sep 27, 2008, 8:26:04 PM9/27/08
So it's an updated "geek code".
Well here's my old "bio"
G!/M/S d- s-:- !a C+++> !U !P>++ !L !E W++ N++ o+ !K w>-- O !M !V PS+
PE Y+ PGP t+ 5++ X+++ R+ tv-- b++ !DI>!DI D++ G e h r++ y+ z+

Yeebok Shu'in

Sep 27, 2008, 8:44:57 PM9/27/08
Fox on the run wrote:

That'd be me, apparently. Yes I sat the test for the p one.
v4sw6Bhw5ln6+pr7+$OSck3ma7w5V!m!l!u+iNpad++/e5t1TBNDVEXGSb7en5g7RZGATO!M!Ca3xSx+Mr8p-6/-2

Occi Ori

Sep 28, 2008, 1:06:27 AM9/28/08
> > Check outhttp://www.hackerkey.com/hacker.htmlto decipher what his

> > hacker key means or to create your own (first I heard of it,
> > interesting in a geeky way).
>
> > JB
>
> That'd be me, apparently. Yes I sat the test for the p one.
> v4sw6Bhw5ln6+pr7+$OSck3ma7w5V!m!l!u+iNpad++/e5t1TBNDVEXGSb7en5g7RZGATO!M!Ca3xSx+Mr8p-6/-2

THANK YOU, Erik Hahn and Yeebok Shu'in for that most enjoyable break
from work and worry that you made possible. I love days on which I
learn something almost hidden in plain sight. . . I now know _all_
_about_ the Yeebok of yesteryear. ;) . . . Haven't got around to my
Firefox experiment yet, but hope you're still checking for messages if
I need more help.

Yeebok Shu'in

Sep 28, 2008, 1:40:37 AM9/28/08
Well .. with a nerdy code like that, you can imagine I'll be in here
tomorrow :) Keep us posted and we'll help where we can.

Occi Ori

Sep 28, 2008, 2:19:38 AM9/28/08

> >> That'd be me, apparently. Yes I sat the test for the p one.
> >> v4sw6Bhw5ln6+pr7+$OSck3ma7w5V!m!l!u+iNpad++/e5t1TBNDVEXGSb7en5g7RZGATO!M!Ca3xSx+Mr8p-6/-2
>
> > THANK YOU, Erik Hahn and Yeebok Shu'in for that most enjoyable break
> > from work and worry that you made possible. I love days on which I
> > learn something almost hidden in plain sight. . . I now know _all_
> > _about_ the Yeebok of yesteryear. ;) . . . Haven't got around to my
> > Firefox experiment yet, but hope you're still checking for messages if
> > I need more help.
>
> Well .. with a nerdy code like that, you can imagine I'll be in here
> tomorrow :) Keep us posted and we'll help where we can.
____________________________

A great relief to know you'll come back. If I believed in
reincarnation, I'd vote to come back as a nerd myself, next time . . .
Okay, back to the miserable problem. I restarted Firefox and
immediately got a message confirming I was in safe mode . . . but the
"find on this page" feature is still greyed out.

Before I thought of asking for help here, I tried googling the
problem. Discovered no solution, but I _did_ find a couple of people
saying that the bug did not go away even after they re-installed
Firefox. Now _that's_ scary.

What should I try next?

And have you any idea what the cause of this sudden malfunction --
after nearly 10 years as a very happy Mozilla user -- might be?

Yeebok Shu'in

Sep 28, 2008, 2:52:17 AM9/28/08
I know there's a lot of links in here relating to new profiles for
testing purposes .. hang on..

Just in case it works, you (may) need something like this :
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Recovering+important+data+from+an+old+profile
(from a post by Alex K)

And these, verbatim from David Ritchie:
Managing profiles
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+profiles

Profiles
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Profiles

Transferring data to a new profile - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_settings_to_a_new_profile

This may *possibly* be helpful also.
In the address bar, type
*about:config*
(no *s) then hit enter.
You'll possibly get a warning about fnargling your settings, OK it
(providing you're happy to).

Type 'find' in the text box at the top of that page, and any that are in
bold have been changed from the default value. Right click and selecting
"RESET" will return them to the default value. One of those may be
stuffing things up on you too.

The ones I have bold are :
accessibility.typeaheadfind (true)
and
accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar (set to 0 .. though I guess
true/false are the logical options but reset changed it to 1).

You also might find a relevant setting if you filter on 'enable' instead
of 'find' but none jumped out at me (thankfully, my reactions are slow..)

Occi Ori

Sep 28, 2008, 6:32:53 AM9/28/08
> Just in case it works, you (may) need something like this :http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Recovering+important+data+from+an...

> (from a post by Alex K)
>
> And these, verbatim from David Ritchie:
> Managing profileshttp://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+profiles
>
> Profileshttp://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Profiles
>
> Transferring data to a new profile - MozillaZine Knowledge Basehttp://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_settings_to_a_new_profile

> This may *possibly* be helpful also.
> In the address bar, type
> *about:config*
> (no *s) then hit enter.
> You'll possibly get a warning about fnargling your settings, OK it
> (providing you're happy to).
>
> Type 'find' in the text box at the top of that page, and any that are in
> bold have been changed from the default value. Right click and selecting
> "RESET" will return them to the default value. One of those may be
> stuffing things up on you too.
>
> The ones I have bold are :
> accessibility.typeaheadfind (true)
> and
> accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar (set to 0 .. though I guess
> true/false are the logical options but reset changed it to 1).
>
> You also might find a relevant setting if you filter on 'enable' instead
> of 'find' but none jumped out at me (thankfully, my reactions are slow..)

This is really _much_ appreciated, Yeebok. I'll re-read these
suggestions when properly caffeinated, in a few hours. . . When I
restarted Firefox, and on my way to choosing Safe Mode, I think I was
offered the option of returning it to its default settings. So I
suppose I might do that .. . But it seems that if I follow your advice
to switch to another profile, then I retain all my old settings in
place in the original profile . . . I hope this makes sense. The idea
of different profiles for the same user and type of Browser is brand
new. . . I'll let you know how I get on some time tomorrow, probably
in the late afternoon EST. Thank you again.

Yeebok Shu'in

Sep 28, 2008, 6:48:05 AM9/28/08

Not a prob. To answer as you've asked :
a profile is essentially a folder containing all your settings.
If you make a new profile, a new folder is created and Firefox looks
there for the settings instead. An analogy would be installing a program
in two separate locations, the "old folder" would be left untouched, or
if you prefer, 2 separate user accounts on the one PC. Both exist at the
same time but only one is used at once. Changing one won't affect the
other.

So with the info above you can (hopefully) create a new profile (and
have the problem magically fix itself) and then move the bits of your
old profile that you really need into the new. I must admit to never
having looked at the pages, but if you get stuck as you've noticed
there'll be someone happy to help.

I must admit multiple profiles to me is a little excessive but the vast
majority of my web work is reading astronomically related pages, so
there's no real need for anything 'special'. Like a coffee though, it's
a good idea to have a fresh one. I'm sure profiles "get cold" too. :)

Reed

Sep 28, 2008, 1:53:24 PM9/28/08
to occ...@gmail.com

Is it actually not working, or just *appear* greyed-out ??

Looking at mine, I can see where one might think the Find (cmd-F)
bar is greyed-out, but it actually does still work.

Mac 10.4.11, FF 2.0.0.17

--reed

Occi Ori

Sep 28, 2008, 6:51:44 PM9/28/08

Reed . . . phew! Many, many, thanks. You are right. It still looks
defunct but now it actually works. . . When I noticed the greying-out
a few days ago it was only because the feature most definitely wasn't
working. . . A problem straight out of the Twilight Zone, if you ask
me. . . But I am going to try Yeebok's suggestions anyway, since I
would like to have an alternative profile. (Yeebok, if you are still
reading, am I right in thinking that by 'address bar' you mean 'run'?)

Of course I would still like to know what caused the greying-out in
the first place, but perhaps this is not something easily explained to
ordinary mortals incapable of encapsulating ourselves in a hackerkey
or geek code. :( . .. Thanks to both of you, again. Words hopelessly
inadequate.

Occi Ori

Sep 28, 2008, 8:53:00 PM9/28/08
> Just in case it works, you (may) need something like this :http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Recovering+important+data+from+an...

> (from a post by Alex K)
>
> And these, verbatim from David Ritchie:
> Managing profileshttp://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+profiles
>
> Profileshttp://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Profiles
>
> Transferring data to a new profile - MozillaZine Knowledge Basehttp://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_settings_to_a_new_profile

> This may *possibly* be helpful also.
> In the address bar, type
> *about:config*
> (no *s) then hit enter.
> You'll possibly get a warning about fnargling your settings, OK it
> (providing you're happy to).
>
> Type 'find' in the text box at the top of that page, and any that are in
> bold have been changed from the default value. Right click and selecting
> "RESET" will return them to the default value. One of those may be
> stuffing things up on you too.
>
> The ones I have bold are :
> accessibility.typeaheadfind (true)
> and
> accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar (set to 0 .. though I guess
> true/false are the logical options but reset changed it to 1).
>
> You also might find a relevant setting if you filter on 'enable' instead
> of 'find' but none jumped out at me (thankfully, my reactions are slow..)

Yeebok Shu'in, no need to answer my question about the 'address bar'.
Google just yielded this . . . an explanation _ten_ years old. Oh, the
humiliation for non-techies!

"How To
September 1998 • Vol.6 Issue 9

How To . . . Run A Program From The Address Bar

The Address Bar began as an Internet browsing tool to summon Web pages
upon your typed command. Now it also has the authority to run programs
and browse through files and folders on your hard drive. It doesn't
replace the old way of doing things; rather it's one more option.
There are compelling reasons to use it on your Desktop even though
you'll find it's not always the best option."

Occi Ori

Sep 29, 2008, 3:18:18 AM9/29/08
> Just in case it works, you (may) need something like this :http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Recovering+important+data+from+an...

> (from a post by Alex K)
>
> And these, verbatim from David Ritchie:
> Managing profileshttp://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+profiles
>
> Profileshttp://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Profiles
>
> Transferring data to a new profile - MozillaZine Knowledge Basehttp://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_settings_to_a_new_profile

> This may *possibly* be helpful also.
> In the address bar, type
> *about:config*
> (no *s) then hit enter.
> You'll possibly get a warning about fnargling your settings, OK it
> (providing you're happy to).
>
> Type 'find' in the text box at the top of that page, and any that are in
> bold have been changed from the default value. Right click and selecting
> "RESET" will return them to the default value. One of those may be
> stuffing things up on you too.
>
> The ones I have bold are :
> accessibility.typeaheadfind (true)
> and
> accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar (set to 0 .. though I guess
> true/false are the logical options but reset changed it to 1).
>
> You also might find a relevant setting if you filter on 'enable' instead
> of 'find' but none jumped out at me (thankfully, my reactions are slow..)

Yeebok and Reed, I hope you're still checking this thread. Curiouser
and curiouser . . . The "find on this page" feature works on this site
-- but not on some others. Yes, really. . . I just hope you'll believe
me. I am now off to try your suggested solutions, Yb, and will return
in the morning to tell you how I get on.

Yeebok Shu'in

Sep 29, 2008, 4:15:32 AM9/29/08
You know that did occur to me near the start but I assumed it was
because of my colouring within Windows. Instead we all got excited about
technical stuff :)

I think basically the overall contrast level in that particular bit is a
little lower than it was before. As a result it's fainter overall, eg
the text field is not 'white' it's 'very light grey'. I am pretty sure
it's a change in V3+ but we'd need screenshots to confirm..

If nothing else you're probably a bit more knowledgeable, Occi Ori, and
less afraid of your Firefox :)

Occi Ori

Sep 29, 2008, 5:55:25 AM9/29/08

Yeebok, I gave up and moved to the latest version. Love learning new
tricks with these tools, but I just don't have the time to try out all
the ones on your list . . . THANK YOU, again, for your kindess and
patience.

Yeebok Shu'in

Sep 29, 2008, 5:57:50 AM9/29/08
Huh ? Still here ? No .. not me .. got better things to do <teehee> no.
I'm here ;)

David McRitchie

Sep 29, 2008, 3:58:57 PM9/29/08

David McRitchie

Sep 29, 2008, 4:20:14 PM9/29/08
"Occi Ori"
>>The ones I have bold are :
>> accessibility.typeaheadfind (true)
>> and
>> accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar (set to 0 .. though I guess
>> true/false are the logical options but reset changed it to 1).

sorry don't how the previous answer got sent, here is my reply.

Are you now on Firefox 3.0.3
I think the worst extension for FIND might have been "MenuX" get
rid of it, if you have it as it steps all over Firefox and other extensions.

You want to have these settings in your about:config, though I thought
some of the problems have been mitigated somewhat.

accessibility.browsewithcaret default boolean false
accessibility.warn_on_browsewithcaret default boolean true
accessibility.typeaheadfind default boolean false

F7 will mess you up so you might want to set these in your user.js
so that each time you start Firefox they get set as above. for example
user_pref("accessibility.typeaheadfind", false);

--
HTH,

Occi Ori

Sep 30, 2008, 6:39:27 AM9/30/08

David McRitchie,

You asked, "Are you now on Firefox 3.0.3

I think the worst extension for FIND might have been "MenuX" get
rid of it, if you have it as it steps all over Firefox and other
extensions. "

Yes I am now on that version, and love the accelerated browsing.
Unfortunately, the rest of what you've said is far above my level of
expertise. I think you are saying that the information someone gave me
earlier isn't quite right . . . but I'm all at sea anyway.

Even with the upgrade, there is still the occasional web page on which
'find" remains stubbornly disabled (greyed out). But it looks as if
I'd have to know as much about computers as you do to follow your
advice for repair.

If only I could convey how maddening it is to be so helpless.

But your taking the trouble to write to me is still much appreciated,
and I'll check in again if you can recommend an Idiot's Guide . . .
Firefox for Dummies? . . . :)

Occi Ori

Sep 30, 2008, 6:42:38 AM9/30/08

I meant, "I'll check in again TO SEE if you can recommend an Idiot's

Yeebok Shu'in

Oct 1, 2008, 3:33:19 AM10/1/08
LOL, Occi. At the moment you and I are on the same wavelength so let's
keep going. From my perspective we've spent this long on it, so another
few to-and-fros won't be a problem.

Can you post URLs of the sites that find does and does not work on ?
Even if it requires a login someone here may have an account already. Is
it always the same site/page that find doesn't work on ?

If not -
Can you do the following for us ? I'll explain step by step though I am
not mac-aware.

Firstly I presume there is some facility to get a screen shot (ie a
picture of what is on the screen currently). You should be able to save
the result of this as a file.

I'd like to see one of find working, and one of it being stubborn so
you'll need a screen shot of each.

Secondly a number of sites host images for display in cases such as
this. Although there's a 'complicated' method that others will tell you,
the *simplest* is to go to imageshack (google it for the full address
but pretty sure it's the stanard "www.abcd.com").

When you go there it's essentially a browse button to select your file,
and a "host it" button to upload it. The page will do so for you, and
then give you a URL to copy and paste elsewhere so people can find it.

Finally, for both images, come back here and post the link. Ignore the
[] and all that stuff, just paste the whole thing, I'll cope with that.