running Outlook Web Access in Firefox -- can't attach files; firefox closes

Jeremy

Nov 10, 2008, 3:53:52 PM11/10/08
When I run OWA in firefox (latest release), and attempt to attach a file to
a message I'm about to send, firefox closes and restarts. I'm running vista
biz, fully patched. Sending emails in OWA works fine otherwise.

Jeremy

Terry R.

Nov 10, 2008, 4:22:49 PM11/10/08
The date and time was 11/10/2008 12:53 PM, and on a whim, Jeremy pounded
out on the keyboard:

Hi Jeremy,

Because of ActiveX, there are things that don't fully work in FF with
OWA. Compare IE with FF and you'll see the differences.

If you just send and receive, it works so so. But there's a lot missing.

--
Terry R.

»Q«

Nov 10, 2008, 5:47:47 PM11/10/08
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:22:49 -0800
"Terry R." <Terry...@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

> The date and time was 11/10/2008 12:53 PM, and on a whim, Jeremy
> pounded out on the keyboard:
>
> > When I run OWA in firefox (latest release), and attempt to attach a
> > file to a message I'm about to send, firefox closes and restarts.
> > I'm running vista biz, fully patched. Sending emails in OWA works
> > fine otherwise.
>

> Because of ActiveX, there are things that don't fully work in FF with
> OWA. Compare IE with FF and you'll see the differences.
>
> If you just send and receive, it works so so. But there's a lot
> missing.

The ability to attach files is still there, though. It's more annoying
than with IE, but it's still fairly simple to attach files. I haven't
tried it with Vista, but it works with GNU/Linux and WinXP.

Jeremy

Nov 10, 2008, 6:28:05 PM11/10/08
> The ability to attach files is still there, though. It's more annoying
> than with IE, but it's still fairly simple to attach files. I haven't
> tried it with Vista, but it works with GNU/Linux and WinXP.

There was a time (long long ago ..) when attach worked on my computer. Don't
recall how long ago, but it did. Some firefox versions ago. Now however,
it does not -- firefox simply freezes up. I am composing a message, then
hit the paperclip icon, a Choose-a-File-to-attach form with a browse button
appears which I click, I select a file from the currently open folder (just
happens to be open to something I can try to attach), and then the hourglass
starts spinning. Still spinning some minutes later. Apparently I will need
to kill firefox by hand and restart it.

Jeremy

Terry R.

Nov 10, 2008, 7:16:40 PM11/10/08
The date and time was 11/10/2008 3:28 PM, and on a whim, Jeremy pounded
out on the keyboard:

>> The ability to attach files is still there, though. It's more annoying

Jeremy,

I've never tried sending an attachment using OWA, but I just did. I
clicked on "Attachments" and I got the dialog to attach, clicked the
Browse button and selected a file, and went back to the message. Nothing
showed in the Attachment area, so I used the paperclip instead and did
the same thing. No attachment. Then I noticed that in order to attach a
file, the user AFTER browsing for the file must click the Attach button
under "Add the file to the list". You probably already know that but it
seems like the user has to do something twice IMO. I would think once
the file has been selected, it's an obvious thing rather than having to
click the Attach button afterwards. But that's OWA and not your issue.

I suggest trying FF Safe Mode and see if it works that way, because it
might be an extension causing the problem.

Jeremy

Nov 10, 2008, 8:24:58 PM11/10/08
> I've never tried sending an attachment using OWA, but I just did. I
> clicked on "Attachments" and I got the dialog to attach, clicked the
> Browse button and selected a file, and went back to the message. Nothing
> showed in the Attachment area, so I used the paperclip instead and did the
> same thing. No attachment. Then I noticed that in order to attach a file,
> the user AFTER browsing for the file must click the Attach button under
> "Add the file to the list". You probably already know that but it seems
> like the user has to do something twice IMO. I would think once the file
> has been selected, it's an obvious thing rather than having to click the
> Attach button afterwards. But that's OWA and not your issue.
>
> I suggest trying FF Safe Mode and see if it works that way, because it
> might be an extension causing the problem.
>
> --
> Terry R.
> Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
> Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

I closed ff and started the (safe mode) shortcut from the programs menu.
Starts very fast, but still does not attach. Although some files are
displayed, I can't actually select one. It's as if there is a pane of glass
over the list -- no individual item is selectable. I click on the glass and
the hourglass starts, and the form dims.

Yes, I made the same mistake in the beginning of not clicking "attach" after
browsing. I think the reason for it is that Attach actually downloads the
file to the exchange server, taking a bunch of time.

Jeremy

Terry R.

Nov 11, 2008, 12:19:58 AM11/11/08
The date and time was 11/10/2008 5:24 PM, and on a whim, Jeremy pounded
out on the keyboard:

>> I've never tried sending an attachment using OWA, but I just did. I

>> clicked on "Attachments" and I got the dialog to attach, clicked the
>> Browse button and selected a file, and went back to the message. Nothing
>> showed in the Attachment area, so I used the paperclip instead and did the
>> same thing. No attachment. Then I noticed that in order to attach a file,
>> the user AFTER browsing for the file must click the Attach button under
>> "Add the file to the list". You probably already know that but it seems
>> like the user has to do something twice IMO. I would think once the file
>> has been selected, it's an obvious thing rather than having to click the
>> Attach button afterwards. But that's OWA and not your issue.
>>
>> I suggest trying FF Safe Mode and see if it works that way, because it
>> might be an extension causing the problem.
>>

> I closed ff and started the (safe mode) shortcut from the programs menu.
> Starts very fast, but still does not attach. Although some files are
> displayed, I can't actually select one. It's as if there is a pane of glass
> over the list -- no individual item is selectable. I click on the glass and
> the hourglass starts, and the form dims.
>
> Yes, I made the same mistake in the beginning of not clicking "attach" after
> browsing. I think the reason for it is that Attach actually downloads the
> file to the exchange server, taking a bunch of time.
>
> Jeremy

I don't have any further suggestions regarding this Jeremy, other than
using IE, which is what I do for OWA.

Take care,

Jeremy

Nov 11, 2008, 11:01:40 AM11/11/08

> I don't have any further suggestions regarding this Jeremy, other than
> using IE, which is what I do for OWA.

Thanks. I would use IE, except that it closes down abruptly when I click
the Send button. It might send attachments, if it would send at all. My
only solution has been to use logmein. What a crazy deal.

Jeremy

Terry R.

Nov 11, 2008, 11:59:06 AM11/11/08
The date and time was 11/11/2008 8:01 AM, and on a whim, Jeremy pounded
out on the keyboard:

>> I don't have any further suggestions regarding this Jeremy, other than

If you're getting errors on both browsers, I would attempt to log in on
another computer using each of them. It may be an issue on your computer.

On your computer, try Windows Safe Mode w/Networking and see if the same
thing happens.