Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Dismiss

not able to Copy translated text from google translate

3,448 views
Skip to first unread message

V S Rawat gmoz

unread,
Nov 2, 2012, 7:52:57 AM11/2/12
to
ff 13 on w7

http://translate.google.com
For 3-4 days, I am not able to copy translated text from google translate.

All scripts have been allowed. My add-ons are applicable though I
don't think I have changed any recently. I did change Tool options -
content - Javascript - removed all tickmarks from all three options
recently.

I can copy the same from that site in google chrome.

What could be the problem?

I can select entire page and copy the text, and then pasting that to
some editor to remove unwanted content to keep the translated text only.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

Keith Nuttle

unread,
Nov 2, 2012, 8:03:25 AM11/2/12
to
On 11/2/2012 7:52 AM, V S Rawat gmoz wrote:
> I did change Tool options - content - Javascript - removed all tickmarks
> from all three options recently.

Enough said

V S Rawat gmoz

unread,
Nov 2, 2012, 9:00:31 AM11/2/12
to
Whatever you meant.

I again ticked all three options and I am still not able to copy from
google translate. Three options were not really showing any relation
to this problem.

The url is otherwise functioning well. Just that I am not able to copy
translated text from there.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

unread,
Nov 2, 2012, 9:37:20 AM11/2/12
to
V S Rawat gmoz wrote:

> ff 13 on w7

I'm using Fx 16.0.2 with Linux (Ubuntu). (You are three versions behind.)

> http://translate.google.com For 3-4 days, I am not able to copy
> translated text from google translate.
>
> All scripts have been allowed. My add-ons are applicable though I don't
> think I have changed any recently. I did change Tool options - content -
> Javascript - removed all tickmarks from all three options recently.

JavaScript must be on for the page to do anything at all.

> I can copy the same from that site in google chrome.
>
> What could be the problem?
>
> I can select entire page and copy the text, and then pasting that to
> some editor to remove unwanted content to keep the translated text only.

I concur there is something at that page that is preventing copying from
Firefox to the clipboard. I can copy/paste from Opera, from Chromium, and
from IceCat (a Firefox clone). This leads me to believe that Google is up
to something, when Firefox is used.

After viewing the source of the translate page, I am not about to try and
decipher what it could be. The source is the usual Google mess of code.

--
-bts
-This space for rent, but the price is high

WaltS

unread,
Nov 2, 2012, 10:05:54 AM11/2/12
to
I pressed the Select All button under the translated text, did a Ctrl+C
and the copied text shows up in my clipboard, but would not paste into
my text editor app.

If I edit it in my clipboard, it will paste into my text editor app.

Learned I could edit copied content in my clipboard today. Thanks! :)

--
Fedora 17 (64-bit) KDE 4.9.2
Thunderbird Beta (17.0) Install and test it.
One state should not determine an election.
http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

unread,
Nov 2, 2012, 11:18:29 AM11/2/12
to
WaltS wrote:

> I pressed the Select All button under the translated text, did a Ctrl+C
> and the copied text shows up in my clipboard, but would not paste into
> my text editor app.

When using Firefox, the selected text does not show up in my clipboard.
When using the other browsers, it does (and is editable in the clipboard
manager).

Would Google do something shady like preventing Firefox from working?

WaltS

unread,
Nov 2, 2012, 11:41:50 AM11/2/12
to
On 11/02/2012 11:18 AM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> WaltS wrote:
>
>> I pressed the Select All button under the translated text, did a Ctrl+C
>> and the copied text shows up in my clipboard, but would not paste into
>> my text editor app.
>
> When using Firefox, the selected text does not show up in my clipboard.
> When using the other browsers, it does (and is editable in the clipboard
> manager).
>
> Would Google do something shady like preventing Firefox from working?
>

I don't know. The selected text shows up in my clipboard using Firefox,
but would not paste until I edited it in my clipboard.

Problem probably exists between user and keyboard in my case.

I suppose I could test with a limited amount of text in the translation
instead of using select all, and see if it appears in my clipboard.

What really frosts my a$$ is when I try to copy a section of a page and
it highlights everything. Now I know I can edit it in my clipboard, so
know how to deal. :)

Ron Hunter

unread,
Nov 2, 2012, 2:07:04 PM11/2/12
to
On 11/2/2012 10:18 AM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> WaltS wrote:
>
>> I pressed the Select All button under the translated text, did a Ctrl+C
>> and the copied text shows up in my clipboard, but would not paste into
>> my text editor app.
>
> When using Firefox, the selected text does not show up in my clipboard.
> When using the other browsers, it does (and is editable in the clipboard
> manager).
>
> Would Google do something shady like preventing Firefox from working?
>
Do bears mate in the woods?

V S Rawat gmoz

unread,
Nov 2, 2012, 3:38:17 PM11/2/12
to
On 11/2/2012 7:35 PM India Time, _WaltS_ wrote:

> On 11/02/2012 09:00 AM, V S Rawat gmoz wrote:
>> On 11/2/2012 5:33 PM India Time, _Keith Nuttle_ wrote:
>>
>>> On 11/2/2012 7:52 AM, V S Rawat gmoz wrote:
>>>> I did change Tool options - content - Javascript - removed all tickmarks
>>>> from all three options recently.
>>>
>>> Enough said
>>>
>>
>> Whatever you meant.
>>
>> I again ticked all three options and I am still not able to copy from
>> google translate. Three options were not really showing any relation
>> to this problem.
>>
>> The url is otherwise functioning well. Just that I am not able to copy
>> translated text from there.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>
> I pressed the Select All button under the translated text, did a Ctrl+C
> and the copied text shows up in my clipboard, but would not paste into
> my text editor app.
>
> If I edit it in my clipboard, it will paste into my text editor app.
>
> Learned I could edit copied content in my clipboard today. Thanks! :)
>

I have a clipboard manager (clipdiary) installed.

seeing your hint, I tried to copy from google translate and went to
clipdiary.

It indeed had an entry saying
"Unknown data format: Data was taken from firefox - Google Translate -
..."

Any data from clipdiary could be pasted, but not this one.

What has gone wrong really? Chrome is copying it well. As you also
faced problem that means it is ff specific problem

Thanks.
--
Rawat




V S Rawat gmoz

unread,
Nov 2, 2012, 3:39:21 PM11/2/12
to
On 11/2/2012 7:35 PM India Time, _WaltS_ wrote:

> If I edit it in my clipboard,

how do you edit in your clipboard? on windows7?

Thanks.
--
Rawat


Ralph Fox

unread,
Nov 2, 2012, 3:56:35 PM11/2/12
to
On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 10:18:29 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> WaltS wrote:
>
> > I pressed the Select All button under the translated text, did a Ctrl+C
> > and the copied text shows up in my clipboard, but would not paste into
> > my text editor app.
>
> When using Firefox, the selected text does not show up in my clipboard.
> When using the other browsers, it does (and is editable in the clipboard
> manager).


The text will show up if one first changes the about:config preference
dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled
from true to false.

Note

A. Setting dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled to false is reported to
break Scratchpad and Stylish.

B. There is also a bookmarklet at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=542938#c5
for those who do not want to change this preference
dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled to false.


> Would Google do something shady like preventing Firefox from working?


It would appear to be an issue in handling the onCopy event,
but I don't know whether it is Firefox's doing or Google's doing.


--
Kind regards
Ralph

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

unread,
Nov 2, 2012, 4:59:38 PM11/2/12
to
Ralph Fox wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> WaltS wrote:
>> > I pressed the Select All button under the translated text, did a
>> > Ctrl+C and the copied text shows up in my clipboard, but would not
>> > paste into my text editor app.
>>
>> When using Firefox, the selected text does not show up in my clipboard.
>> When using the other browsers, it does (and is editable in the
>> clipboard manager).
>
> The text will show up if one first changes the about:config preference
> dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled
> from true to false.
>
> Note
>
> A. Setting dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled to false is reported to
> break Scratchpad and Stylish.

Whoohoo! That works.

> B. There is also a bookmarklet at
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=542938#c5
> for those who do not want to change this preference
> dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled to false.

Didn't try that.

>> Would Google do something shady like preventing Firefox from working?
>
> It would appear to be an issue in handling the onCopy event,
> but I don't know whether it is Firefox's doing or Google's doing.

I'm glad I'm not a gambling man...

aedl...@gmail.com

unread,
Nov 2, 2012, 9:47:54 PM11/2/12
to
Excellent, thanks a lot Ralph! This mod from true to false in
"dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled" worked fine. Now I'm being able to copy and paste again!!
Rgrds!

V S Rawat gmoz

unread,
Nov 3, 2012, 1:03:18 AM11/3/12
to
On 11/3/2012 1:26 AM India Time, _Ralph Fox_ wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 10:18:29 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>
>> WaltS wrote:
>>
>>> I pressed the Select All button under the translated text, did a Ctrl+C
>>> and the copied text shows up in my clipboard, but would not paste into
>>> my text editor app.
>>
>> When using Firefox, the selected text does not show up in my clipboard.
>> When using the other browsers, it does (and is editable in the clipboard
>> manager).
>
>
> The text will show up if one first changes the about:config preference
> dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled
> from true to false.

Yes. Setting it to false enables copying of text to clipboard and
pasting that elsewhere.

Thanks a lot.

The name of the key is really for techy people. Could someone please
explain what exactly this key do, so that I can be assured that
changing its value is not breaking down things elsewhere.


>
> Note
>
> A. Setting dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled to false is reported to
> break Scratchpad and Stylish.

Ok, I know stylish. What is scratchpad?

>
> B. There is also a bookmarklet at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=542938#c5
> for those who do not want to change this preference
> dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled to false.
>
>
>> Would Google do something shady like preventing Firefox from working?
>
>
> It would appear to be an issue in handling the onCopy event,
> but I don't know whether it is Firefox's doing or Google's doing.

Mine is ff13, and I had been working in it for a long time and had no
problem. I don't think ff has changed anything recently (I have not
installed anything recently as you can see from v13). must be google's
doing.

If my some addon had changed that, how come all you guys had that
problem because everyone might not have the same add on. So, changing
by addon also does not seem probable.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

V S Rawat gmoz

unread,
Nov 3, 2012, 1:04:22 AM11/3/12
to
On 11/2/2012 8:48 PM India Time, _Beauregard T. Shagnasty_ wrote:

> WaltS wrote:
>
>> I pressed the Select All button under the translated text, did a Ctrl+C
>> and the copied text shows up in my clipboard, but would not paste into
>> my text editor app.
>
> When using Firefox, the selected text does not show up in my clipboard.
> When using the other browsers, it does (and is editable in the clipboard
> manager).
>
> Would Google do something shady like preventing Firefox from working?
>

What clipboard manager? some addon for ff?

Thanks.
--
Rawat

V S Rawat gmoz

unread,
Nov 3, 2012, 1:14:05 AM11/3/12
to
On 11/2/2012 8:48 PM India Time, _Beauregard T. Shagnasty_ wrote:

> WaltS wrote:
>
>> I pressed the Select All button under the translated text, did a Ctrl+C
>> and the copied text shows up in my clipboard, but would not paste into
>> my text editor app.
>
> When using Firefox, the selected text does not show up in my clipboard.
> When using the other browsers, it does (and is editable in the clipboard
> manager).
>
> Would Google do something shady like preventing Firefox from working?
>

waiting for 17, that would end the rapid release cycle. I will then
update so as not to do so frequent updations that don't give any value.

16.02 is already out, I guess 17 is around the corner.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

maxm...@gmail.com

unread,
Nov 3, 2012, 3:34:54 AM11/3/12
to
Hi everyone,
I have also same problem. I think the problem in ff because in other browsers copy/paste result of Google Translator is working. after many try i found the solution it sounds crazy but it works

select google translator result then press and hold Ctrl+c for 2-3 seconds and then paste any where. ;P

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

unread,
Nov 3, 2012, 5:38:59 AM11/3/12
to
V S Rawat gmoz wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty_ wrote:
>> When using Firefox, the selected text does not show up in my clipboard.
>> When using the other browsers, it does (and is editable in the
>> clipboard manager).
>
> What clipboard manager? some addon for ff?

I use ClipIt. This is with Linux (Ubuntu), and it is in my Synaptic
Package Manager repository (click to install), and not a part of the
browser. I note that WaltS also mentions "editing in the clipboard" but he
is using Linux as well.

I haven't used Windows for many years, and don't know what is available
for that operating system.

WaltS

unread,
Nov 3, 2012, 8:17:06 AM11/3/12
to
Firefox 17.0 doesn't end the rapid release cycle for Firefox, unless you
plan on using the ESR version.

WaltS

unread,
Nov 3, 2012, 9:49:54 AM11/3/12
to

Ron Hunter

unread,
Nov 3, 2012, 2:23:39 PM11/3/12
to
On 11/3/2012 7:17 AM, WaltS wrote:
> On 11/03/2012 01:14 AM, V S Rawat gmoz wrote:
>> On 11/2/2012 8:48 PM India Time, _Beauregard T. Shagnasty_ wrote:
>>
>>> WaltS wrote:
>>>
>>>> I pressed the Select All button under the translated text, did a Ctrl+C
>>>> and the copied text shows up in my clipboard, but would not paste into
>>>> my text editor app.
>>>
>>> When using Firefox, the selected text does not show up in my clipboard.
>>> When using the other browsers, it does (and is editable in the clipboard
>>> manager).
>>>
>>> Would Google do something shady like preventing Firefox from working?
>>>
>>
>> waiting for 17, that would end the rapid release cycle. I will then
>> update so as not to do so frequent updations that don't give any value.
>>
>> 16.02 is already out, I guess 17 is around the corner.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>
> Firefox 17.0 doesn't end the rapid release cycle for Firefox, unless you
> plan on using the ESR version.
>
I think 17 is later this month. Not ending rapid release, but you can
stick with an ESR if you just can't deal with change.

V S Rawat gmoz

unread,
Nov 3, 2012, 3:17:30 PM11/3/12
to
It was informed in this very ng (or tb's) that 17 will be last of
rapid release. Then after it will be "in-a-few-months" releases.

Why they are not stopping rapid release? Not adding any major feature,
and still making millions of users download and install it -- seems
some ISP has bribed mozilla decision makers to increase consumption of
their bandwidth.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

V S Rawat gmoz

unread,
Nov 3, 2012, 3:19:44 PM11/3/12
to
interesting solution you have found.

how could you think of this? :-) trying to enact a google-fall against
Skyfall?

--
Rawat

V S Rawat gmoz

unread,
Nov 3, 2012, 3:23:53 PM11/3/12
to
On 11/3/2012 7:19 PM India Time, _WaltS_ wrote:

> On 11/02/2012 07:52 AM, V S Rawat gmoz wrote:
>> ff 13 on w7
>>
>> http://translate.google.com
>> For 3-4 days, I am not able to copy translated text from google translate.
>>
>> All scripts have been allowed. My add-ons are applicable though I
>> don't think I have changed any recently. I did change Tool options -
>> content - Javascript - removed all tickmarks from all three options
>> recently.
>>
>> I can copy the same from that site in google chrome.
>>
>> What could be the problem?
>>
>> I can select entire page and copy the text, and then pasting that to
>> some editor to remove unwanted content to keep the translated text only.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>
> Known Bug.
>
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=807599
>

reported on 2012-11-01 03:31 PDT

can't really be called that well "known"

I had posted the first post here at 11/2/2012 5:22 PM INDIA Time, how
much earlier or later that is from that PDT time?

says "from 16.02" but I am on 13.0, seems it is independent of ff
versions. someone should update the bug so that developers don't get
confused figuring out what changes they did in 16.02 to cause that.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

Ralph Fox

unread,
Nov 3, 2012, 7:18:35 PM11/3/12
to
On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 10:33:18 +0530, V S Rawat gmoz wrote:

> Ok, I know stylish. What is scratchpad?

Firefox has a build-in JavaScript Scratchpad. Press Shift+F4 to see it.


--
Kind regards
Ralph

V S Rawat gmoz

unread,
Nov 4, 2012, 12:22:04 AM11/4/12
to
On 11/4/2012 4:48 AM India Time, _Ralph Fox_ wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 10:33:18 +0530, V S Rawat gmoz wrote:
>
>> Ok, I know stylish. What is scratchpad?
>
> Firefox has a build-in JavaScript Scratchpad. Press Shift+F4 to see it.
>
>

Oh great. Yeah, it is appearing.

I wonder whether it can be used for just storing random non-java
things. a memory pad.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

aros...@yahoo.com

unread,
Nov 4, 2012, 12:01:08 PM11/4/12
to
On Friday, November 2, 2012 7:53:00 AM UTC-4, Rawat wrote:
> ff 13 on w7
>
>
>
> http://translate.google.com
>
> For 3-4 days, I am not able to copy translated text from google translate.
>
>
>
> All scripts have been allowed. My add-ons are applicable though I
>
> don't think I have changed any recently. I did change Tool options -
>
> content - Javascript - removed all tickmarks from all three options
>
> recently.
>
>
>
> I can copy the same from that site in google chrome.
>
>
>
> What could be the problem?
>
>
>
> I can select entire page and copy the text, and then pasting that to
>
> some editor to remove unwanted content to keep the translated text only.
>
>
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
>
> Rawat

aros...@yahoo.com

unread,
Nov 4, 2012, 12:04:32 PM11/4/12
to
I have the same problem, I am using Firefox. I'll bet it works great with Google Chromium. They just can't leave things alone.

WaltS

unread,
Nov 4, 2012, 12:14:37 PM11/4/12
to
This is the problem.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=807599

The workaround is in the bug report. For those that don't want to read it.

Setting dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled = false helps

Don't forget to set it back to true when the bug is fixed, or you will
probably have a corrupt profile. :)

V S Rawat gmoz

unread,
Nov 5, 2012, 1:48:57 AM11/5/12
to
On 11/4/2012 10:44 PM India Time, _WaltS_ wrote:

> On 11/04/2012 12:04 PM, aros...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> On Friday, November 2, 2012 7:53:00 AM UTC-4, Rawat wrote:
>>> ff 13 on w7
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> http://translate.google.com
>>>
>>> For 3-4 days, I am not able to copy translated text from google translate.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> All scripts have been allowed. My add-ons are applicable though I
>>>
>>> don't think I have changed any recently. I did change Tool options -
>>>
>>> content - Javascript - removed all tickmarks from all three options
>>>
>>> recently.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I can copy the same from that site in google chrome.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> What could be the problem?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I can select entire page and copy the text, and then pasting that to
>>>
>>> some editor to remove unwanted content to keep the translated text only.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Rawat
>>
>> I have the same problem, I am using Firefox. I'll bet it works great with Google Chromium. They just can't leave things alone.
>>
>
> This is the problem.
>
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=807599
>
> The workaround is in the bug report. For those that don't want to read it.
>
> Setting dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled = false helps
>
> Don't forget to set it back to true when the bug is fixed, or you will
> probably have a corrupt profile. :)
>

oh, the flag needed to be reverted later?

hope we will get to know about bug getting fixed here.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

WaltS

unread,
Nov 7, 2012, 9:10:33 AM11/7/12
to
On 11/02/2012 07:52 AM, V S Rawat gmoz wrote:
> ff 13 on w7
>
> http://translate.google.com
> For 3-4 days, I am not able to copy translated text from google translate.
>
> All scripts have been allowed. My add-ons are applicable though I
> don't think I have changed any recently. I did change Tool options -
> content - Javascript - removed all tickmarks from all three options
> recently.
>
> I can copy the same from that site in google chrome.
>
> What could be the problem?
>
> I can select entire page and copy the text, and then pasting that to
> some editor to remove unwanted content to keep the translated text only.
>
> Thanks.
>

Fixed by Google. I didn't test it.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=807599

--
Fedora 17 (64-bit) KDE 4.9.2
Thunderbird Beta (17.0) Install and test it
One state should not decide an election
http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/
0 new messages