How to prevent facebook from automatically updating page?

V S Rawat

Jul 3, 2011, 5:07:27 AM7/3/11
in ff4.1 on w7, when I use facebook, its page automatically keep on
updating information, thus, position of cursor on the page where I am
reading automatically changes leaving me lost. And I guess it leads to
useless transfer of data from the site to ff, often multiple times,
thus wasting my bandwidth.

It is more like a chat when data comes automatically. Previously
browser pages didn't update till I press refresh. That was convenient.

How to prevent fb from automatically updating page as above? I want to
stop all data transfer between a ff and fb only, and it should take
place only when I kick refresh key or press any other page opening
icon on the page.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

Ron Hunter

Jul 3, 2011, 8:46:39 AM7/3/11
I don't consider getting new information as 'wasting bandwidth', but if
you do, you can ask Facebook about the practice. Many pages
automatically update on a regular basis, such as weather radar pages,
and most users find that an advantage.

Andrew DeFaria

Jul 3, 2011, 12:54:44 PM7/3/11

Two ways that I can see...

1) Go to facebook.com - unplug your internet connection. Replug it when you want to refresh.

2) Go to facebook.com - delete your facebook account!

Tarkus

Jul 3, 2011, 3:44:38 PM7/3/11

I use Better Facebook and I haven't seen that.

http://betterfacebook.net/

Message has been deleted

randy midzain

Jul 3, 2011, 9:15:59 PM7/3/11
to Firefox help community
My mistake. YouTube, USA Today, BBC.. videos skip with FF, but not Safari.
I don't want to dump FF but may have no choice

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Sailfish <
REMOVECAP...@removecapsunforgettable.com> wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Tarkus graced us with on 7/3/2011
> 12:44 PM:

> Sweet! Not sure how he gets away with using their logos and name, though :)
>
> --
> Sailfish - Netscape/Mozilla Champion
> Netscape/Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/
> Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

*Randy Midzain*
rkmi...@gmail.com
Will a computer last five years? Obsoletely!

**

Tarkus

Jul 3, 2011, 11:28:19 PM7/3/11
On 7/3/2011 5:43 PM, Sailfish wrote:
> My bloviated meandering follows what Tarkus graced us with on 7/3/2011
> 12:44 PM:
> Sweet! Not sure how he gets away with using their logos and name, though :)

As I recall, he changed the name to Better Face Book to kind of get
around that. :)

Christoph Schmees

Jul 5, 2011, 8:38:21 AM7/5/11

1. NoScript, and facebook.com "not trustworthy"!
2. RequestPolicy, and no loading from facebook.com

Christoph

--
email:
nurfuerspam -> gmx

The Real Bev

Jul 5, 2011, 3:26:48 PM7/5/11

Totally irrelevant, but the Better Facebook extension really does make
facebook better. Even if all it did was provide "all read, don't show
me this again unless I want it" capability it would be worth the price.

http://betterfacebook.net/

--
Cheers, Bev
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for

V S Rawat

Jul 5, 2011, 3:53:36 PM7/5/11
On 7/6/2011 12:56 AM India Time, _The Real Bev_ wrote:

> On 07/05/11 05:38, Christoph Schmees wrote:
>
>> Am 2011-07-03 11:07, schrieb V S Rawat:
>>> in ff4.1 on w7, when I use facebook, its page automatically keep
>>> on updating information, thus, position of cursor on the page
>>> where I am reading automatically changes leaving me lost. And I
>>> guess it leads to useless transfer of data from the site to ff,
>>> often multiple times, thus wasting my bandwidth.
>>>
>>> It is more like a chat when data comes automatically. Previously
>>> browser pages didn't update till I press refresh. That was
>>> convenient.
>>>
>>> How to prevent fb from automatically updating page as above? I
>>> want to stop all data transfer between a ff and fb only, and it
>>> should take place only when I kick refresh key or press any other
>>> page opening icon on the page.
>>
>> 1. NoScript, and facebook.com "not trustworthy"!
>> 2. RequestPolicy, and no loading from facebook.com
>
> Totally irrelevant, but the Better Facebook extension really does make
> facebook better. Even if all it did was provide "all read, don't show
> me this again unless I want it" capability it would be worth the price.
>
> http://betterfacebook.net/

yeah, it is good add-on.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

V S Rawat

Jul 5, 2011, 3:46:04 PM7/5/11

hmm, brute force always works.

> 2) Go to facebook.com - delete your facebook account!

today is one month complete since I started using fb. For such a late
entrant, I guess doing this will not steal my heaven.

My basic thought were about the coding method used. Previously fixed
html needed manually refreshing the page to gets its content renewed.
Now some different method is being used that automatically keeps on
updating information so I thought there has to be some trick in this
new method (ajax? vb?, javascript?) that would easily and conveniently
stop this automatic update. If it is not possible, brute force is
always there.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

V S Rawat

Jul 5, 2011, 3:51:17 PM7/5/11

lovely add-on. I have been using it for 3 days now, and many problems
have been solved or reduced. A must for every fb user.

Negatives are:
1. It is so vast and cryptic that it will take many days for you to
master it, if not weeks and months.

2. help/ user support is not available. They have a fb page but the
developer replies in many days if at all replies.

3. the developer is fussy, a jerk, misbehaves, offends, high-headed. I
have suggested to him to learn "helping" from ff/ tb ngs. That further
blew his fuse.

--
Rawat

Ron Hunter

Jul 5, 2011, 3:56:58 PM7/5/11

Almost surely javascript. You can see if NoScript stops it.

Ron Hunter

Jul 5, 2011, 3:59:10 PM7/5/11

Programmers are usually a bit eccentric. Some don't relate well to
humans, as opposed to computers. Some are really nice people who just
spend too much time with computers, and not enough with people.

Sailfish

Jul 5, 2011, 4:05:25 PM7/5/11
7/5/2011 12:56 PM:
It depends on how NoScript works (I don't use it.) Facebook, by default,
uses javascript to schedule a reload but also has a
<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> section where it uses the HTML Refresh meta tag.
Thus, if NoScript strips <Script></Script> sections from the stream
without resetting the Javascript enabled setting, then it should work.
If it resets the Javascript enabled setting, then it may not.

--
Sailfish - Netscape/Mozilla Champion
Netscape/Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/

Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

V S Rawat

Jul 8, 2011, 3:54:07 PM7/8/11

OK. I will try disabling javascript on fb to see what other features
of it are vanishing due to blockade. Shall report if something
worthwhile is found.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

Ron Hunter

Jul 8, 2011, 4:05:09 PM7/8/11

I rather suspect that Facebook won't work at all if you disable
Javascript and Flash.

Message has been deleted

V S Rawat

Jul 9, 2011, 2:37:29 PM7/9/11
On 7/9/2011 2:46 AM India Time, _Sailfish_ wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on

> 7/8/2011 1:05 PM:

> Rawat, I agree with Ron, outside of some semi-complex tools like
> Proximitron or GreaseMonkey where you could possibly do some surgical
> removals of the offending HTML/Javascript bits, this may not work.
>
> Good luck, though.

On switching off javascript, it did so some html version, but even the
chat stop working without javascript. Previously open chat windows
disappeared, and chat list window wouldn't even roll up to show who is
online. So that is single reason not to switch off javascript.

They keep on changing coding everyday, so I can't spend so much time
developing gm scripts myself, nor have so much knowledge either.
Hearing about Proximitron for the first time. Thanks for sharing.

learning to live with my problem. Wishing some great programmer gets
as annoyed as me someday and he provides some solution.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

Tarkus

Jul 9, 2011, 3:02:13 PM7/9/11
On 7/9/2011 11:37 AM, V S Rawat wrote:
> Wishing some great programmer gets as annoyed as me someday and he
> provides some solution.

http://betterfacebook.net/

Message has been deleted

Tarkus

Jul 9, 2011, 3:18:16 PM7/9/11
On 7/9/2011 12:16 PM, Sailfish wrote:
> My bloviated meandering follows what Tarkus graced us with on 7/9/2011
> 12:02 PM:
> I looked but I didn't see an option to disable page refresh?

I don't know of a specific option, but I don't have that problem.
Occasionally, it will refresh after I've marked all read, but I never
have the problem of it refreshing while I'm reading something.

Message has been deleted

jim

Jul 15, 2011, 7:44:30 AM7/15/11
On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 00:07:29 +0530, V S Rawat <vsr...@gmail.com> in
mozilla.support.firefox wrote:

>learning to live with my problem. Wishing some great programmer gets
>as annoyed as me someday and he provides some solution.
>
>Thanks.
>--
>Rawat

Just to let you know, I agree with the "losing your place" bit. It can be
frustrating.

jim

The Real Bev

Jul 15, 2011, 4:34:51 PM7/15/11
On 07/15/11 04:44, jim wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 00:07:29 +0530, V S Rawat<vsr...@gmail.com> in
> mozilla.support.firefox wrote:
>
>>learning to live with my problem. Wishing some great programmer gets
>>as annoyed as me someday and he provides some solution.
>

> Just to let you know, I agree with the "losing your place" bit. It can be
> frustrating.

The 'Better Facebook' extension has a 'don't refresh' option. You read
what you want, click 'mark as read' and everything gets grayed-out (an
option) until somebody posts something new in that thread... er...
entry. You can also mark individual messages read. Definitely an
improvement, and there are a lot of other desirable features.

--
Cheers, Bev