FF shows blank icon in Windows task bar

B Barnett

Mar 3, 2021, 7:42:38 AM3/3/21
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
I recently upgraded to Firefox v86 and now when I run FF, in the task bar the FF icon no longer shows, I only see a blank icon.

Is this a known bug? Is there a fix for this I can do? Or do I have to wait for an update?

Thanks!

Ken Blake

Mar 3, 2021, 9:38:43 AM3/3/21
On 3/3/2021 3:27 AM, B Barnett wrote:
> I recently upgraded to Firefox v86 and now when I run FF, in the task bar the FF icon no longer shows, I only see a blank icon.
>
> Is this a known bug? Is there a fix for this I can do? Or do I have to wait for an update?

No such problem here with v86.

Revvie Quar

Mar 3, 2021, 12:40:51 PM3/3/21
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
I just had the very same problem yesterday, and this is what will fix it:

https://www.guidingtech.com/fix-blank-icons-windows-10/

Scroll down to fix #8 Rebuild Icon Cache and have at it.

- Run Command Prompt as Administrator
- Type cd %homepath%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer - Enter
- Type taskkill /f /im explorer.exe - Enter
- Type del iconcache* - Enter
- Type Explorer.exe - to restart Explorer

Voila, your taskbar icon should reappear.

You'll very likely have to rearrange your SysTray icons as a result.

HTH

--
Revvie Quar

Gryphons RAWK!

Big Al

Mar 3, 2021, 11:19:50 PM3/3/21
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
If it's an icon for FF that you pinned to the taskbar, then just unpin it and go back to the menu and re-pin from there. If you have a good
icon on the menu for Firefox, it should appear okay on the taskbar.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

😉 Good Guy 😉

Mar 4, 2021, 11:31:22 AM3/4/21
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org

It must be operating system related.  what is your operating system?

I understand Linux normally have their own icons but I can't check it without booting up a live DVD.

Have you disabled all Add-ons to see if it makes any difference?  Add-Ons must be the first thing everybody should check as they cause more problems than solve anything useful.  I don't use any Add-Ons but that's me because I have always said that if the App can't do the things for me out of the box,  then that App is not good for me.  Period.

--

With over 1.2 billion devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.