FYI: IE Tab Plus and Superfish WindowShopper

Refrsxf

Oct 18, 2010, 6:49:11 AM10/18/10
FYI:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2014247&p=10025897#p10025897

Superfish WindowShopper is contained in the last update for the IE Tab Plus
Firefox add-on.
---
"if you have these files in your profiles extensions subdirectories located
in
\yourFFprofiledirectory\extensions\ie...@ip.cn\components

nsSuperfishComponent.js (5.4k)
nsSuperfishProgressListener.js (15.7k)
nsSuperfishStatistics.js (16.5K)
nsSuperfishUtils.js (60.8k)

then you have the spyware installed"

Jay Garcia

Oct 18, 2010, 8:36:10 AM10/18/10
On 18.10.2010 05:49, Refrsxf wrote:

That issue relates to the original IE Tab extension, not IE-Tab-2 or
Coral IE Tab or IE-Tab Plus.

Note the directory /ie...@ip.cn/ .. China .. should tell you something!!

--
*Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion*
www.ufaq.org

David Pyles

Oct 18, 2010, 8:55:15 AM10/18/10
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 18.10.2010 05:49, Refrsxf wrote:

For what it's worth, Jay, I had IE Tab Plus installed and had that
folder in my profile. I uninstalled it and it removed the folder. I
installed the IE Tab Plus currently in the Addons server and the folder
came back. I uninstalled IE Tab Plus again and installed IE Tab 2 and
the folder did not come back, so the issue does apply to IE Tab Plus.
Dave Pyles

kes

Oct 18, 2010, 9:06:00 AM10/18/10
On 18/10/2010 14:36, Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 18.10.2010 05:49, Refrsxf wrote:

Statement not entirely accurate. I had _IE-Tab Plus_ installed, and all
4 files are there.
Fortunately, uninstalling the add-on has got rid of the said files.

Jay Garcia

Oct 18, 2010, 9:19:21 AM10/18/10

Oct 18, 2010, 9:23:52 AM10/18/10

Oct 18, 2010, 9:33:14 AM10/18/10
On 18.10.2010 08:23, Jay Garcia wrote:

> Confusing but it appears that the problem began with the original IE-Tab
> and subsequent updates, dunno.
>
> Looks like removing IE-Tab-x and installing Coral IE Tab is the way to go.

After reading and re-absorbing the issue at Mozillazine, it does appear
that IE-TabPlus is the culprit, but did it originate with with IE-Tab
(original iteration)?

David Pyles

Oct 18, 2010, 10:57:15 AM10/18/10
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 18.10.2010 07:55, David Pyles wrote:

It may be that the Corel IE Tab doesn't have the problem. I didn't try
that one.

One would think that, if there was a known or potential malware problem
with the addon, it would be removed from the Firefox addons page until
the problem was resolved.
Dave Pyles

Ron Hunter

Oct 18, 2010, 5:51:04 PM10/18/10
Moot question here, neither works with FF 4.0 beta 8pre. SIGH. Worse
yet, Adblock Plus seems to hate some videos. Won't let them play, even
if disabled.
Disable from Add-ons dialog, reload, and the videos play fine.

Tarkus

Oct 18, 2010, 6:06:34 PM10/18/10
On 10/18/2010 2:51 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
> Moot question here, neither works with FF 4.0 beta 8pre. SIGH. Worse
> yet, Adblock Plus seems to hate some videos. Won't let them play,
> even if disabled. Disable from Add-ons dialog, reload, and the videos
> play fine.

That's odd.

Ron Hunter

Oct 18, 2010, 7:31:18 PM10/18/10
Yes, and even weirder, only on my Win7 machine.

Jay Garcia

Oct 18, 2010, 8:33:16 PM10/18/10

Have you tried a force install using Nightly Tester Tools or similar app?

Ron Hunter

Oct 18, 2010, 8:53:34 PM10/18/10
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 18.10.2010 16:51, Ron Hunter wrote:

It installs fine, but says it needs a plugin, which it doesn't name, and
I don't know how to find.