Treat LAN as localhost

Cyberfarer

Mar 13, 2021, 10:58:11 AM3/13/21
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
Greetings

I have an internal application running on a private LAN IP. Is there a way to have Firefox treat that IP as safe in the same way as localhost?

I have tried a number of options but FF appears to be suppressing scripts on the client.

Thank you.

Dave Royal

Mar 13, 2021, 11:16:09 AM3/13/21
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
Do you mean you're running a webserver on a host on the local LAN. I do
that: what's the problem?

What do you mean by 'safe'. In what way does your Firefox treat a local
IP address differently?

By 'scripts on the client' do you mean scripts within the pages served
by your local host, or what?

What OS and version of Firefox?
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Cyberfarer

Mar 13, 2021, 4:13:12 PM3/13/21
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
According to Mozilla:
"Locally-delivered resources such as those with http://127.0.0.1 URLs, http://localhost and http://*.localhost URLs (e.g. http://dev.whatever.localhost/), and file:// URLs are also considered to have been delivered securely."

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Security/Secure_Contexts#when_is_a_context_considered_secure

Andy Burns

Mar 14, 2021, 3:57:59 AM3/14/21

Cyberfarer wrote:

> According to Mozilla: "Locally-delivered resources such as those
> with http://127.0.0.1 URLs, http://localhost and http://*.localhost
> URLs (e.g. http://dev.whatever.localhost/), and file:// URLs are also
> considered to have been delivered securely."

But does "being considered delivered securely" have any impact on
whether a page can run scripts? I don't think so, any site (even
without TLS) can run scripts

Is your script trying to do anything "special"?

Brian Gregory

Mar 14, 2021, 5:36:51 AM3/14/21
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
Something in Enhanced Tracking Protection maybe.
I don't remember doing anything special so that my devices with local
addresses (such as the web interface of my router) can run scripts in
Firefox, and they can and do.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Dave Royal

Mar 14, 2021, 8:37:23 AM3/14/21
On 13 Mar 2021 13:11:40 -0800 (PST) Cyberfarer wrote:
>[On Saturday, 13 March 2021 at 11:16:09 UTC-5, Dave Royal wrote:]
>
>According to Mozilla:
>"Locally-delivered resources such as those with http://127.0.0.1 URLs,
>http://localhost and http://*.localhost URLs (e.g.
>http://dev.whatever.localhost/), and file:// URLs are also considered to have