Firefox crashes at this site - FF in general, or just mine?

kes

Jan 29, 2011, 11:16:41 AM1/29/11
I'm running the latest FF 3.6.13 on Win Pro

When I go to:
http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/audio.php?file=minuti02&word=
minutiae&text=%5C-sh%C4%93-%3CSPAN%20class%3Dunicode%3E%CB%8
C%3C%2FSPAN%3E%C4%93%2C%20-%3CSPAN%20class%3Dunicode%3E%CB%8
C%3C%2FSPAN%3E%C4%AB%5C

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/5wgx67e (TinyURL)

(A Merriam Webster pronunciation page)

... FF crashes. (repeatable)

Is it just my set up, or is this a general FF problem?

Thanks

Peter

Jan 29, 2011, 11:35:12 AM1/29/11
I'm running the same FF version on Win XP Home. Neither of your links
crashes on my PC. Try opening FF in safe mode and see if those URLs
still crash it for you. If they do, your problem may be with an add-on.

John McGaw

Jan 29, 2011, 11:46:35 AM1/29/11
On 1/29/2011 11:16 AM, kes wrote:
Same version on W7-64 -- doesn't crash mine.

Miles

Jan 29, 2011, 11:53:17 AM1/29/11
* kes wrote, On 29-Jan-11 8:16:

And I'm also in FF 3.6.13; however in Win7 Pro and no difficulty here.
Agree, try it in safe mode and let us know if ok or not. If it is
then you have the chore of finding the addon.
Miles

Chris Ilias

Jan 29, 2011, 4:16:03 PM1/29/11

Does the Mozilla Crash Reporter come up? If so, open Firefox, go to the
address "about:crashes" (without the quotes) and tell us your latest
crash IDs. We can then look at the data specific to your crash and have
a better idea of what is causing the problem.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

kes

Jan 30, 2011, 2:36:54 AM1/30/11

ID: f73d6391-368c-4267-a277-2c1262110129
Signature: UserCallWinProcCheckWow

(There is a whole host of other stuff on the page.)

I will try 'Safe mode' next.

PS. I see my OS specs are incomplete in the original post - I am on a
Win XP Pro (SP3)

Chris Ilias

Jan 30, 2011, 2:53:30 AM1/30/11

Crashes with that signature are typically associated with the Google
Talk plugin. If you go to <http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/>,
is Google Talk listed?

kes

Jan 30, 2011, 2:57:24 AM1/30/11

In Safe Mode

Same crash when using FF in 'Safe Mode'

New crash report ID:
bp-c5e18ca6-8d3a-432e-96cb-779162110129
(30/01/2011 08:47)

PS. I have tried the page with Chrome portable browser. No problems there.

kes

Jan 30, 2011, 2:59:56 AM1/30/11

No Chris, 'Google Talk' plugin is not listed (I don't use it). ('Google
Earth' plugin is there.)

Chris Ilias

Jan 30, 2011, 3:04:52 AM1/30/11

Are your plugins up to date?

kes

Jan 30, 2011, 3:18:15 AM1/30/11

According to http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/

... all my plugins are 'unknown'. Even such well known ones as 'VLC
Multimedia plugin' (very recent)
and 'Java Platforme Se' (most recent) and 'Google Earth plugin'. Hmm...

Jay Garcia

Jan 30, 2011, 7:26:26 AM1/30/11

Jan 30, 2011, 8:44:10 AM1/30/11

What exactly am I looking for here, Jay? I have had a look, and the only
'duplicate' appears to be 'Microsoft DRM' and even then, it lists
different .dlls (npwmsdrm.dll, npdrmv2.dll) under the different
headings. All the other plugins have a single entry.

Chris Ilias

Jan 30, 2011, 9:16:05 PM1/30/11
On 11-01-30 3:18 AM, kes wrote:

>> Are your plugins up to date?
>
> According to http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/
>
> ... all my plugins are 'unknown'. Even such well known ones as 'VLC
> Multimedia plugin' (very recent)
> and 'Java Platforme Se' (most recent) and 'Google Earth plugin'. Hmm...

Disable all the ones you don't use. See
<http://ilias.ca/blog/2010/09/firefox-tip-disable-unused-plugins/>.

kes

Feb 1, 2011, 2:29:43 AM2/1/11

Have done. Still same issue. But thanks for the suggestions.

David McRitchie

Feb 1, 2011, 6:13:54 PM2/1/11
"kes" ...

> I'm running the latest FF 3.6.13 on Win Pro
>
> When I go to > http://preview.tinyurl.com/5wgx67e (TinyURL)

> (A Merriam Webster pronunciation page)
>
> ... FF crashes. (repeatable)
> Is it just my set up, or is this a general FF problem?

Hi Kes,
The plug-in that the pronunciation/sound icon at http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/minutiae
is looking for is "Apple Quicktime" that's probably the only place that I run
across it, I've managed thus far to avoid installing it and will continue to do so.
Starting from the dictionary page, exactly when does it crash is it when you
click on the sound icon. (I was about to ask if you restarted FF after turning
off plug-ins but that was stupid because FF crashes so, of course).

Here is a MozillaZine page on Quicktime. But if you disabled the plug-in
nothing makes sense to me. Not having the plug-in nothing happens at
all until I click on the sound speaker icon, and then I get a plug-in needed
I would think you would/should get something somewhat similar if
the plug-in is disabled.

--
HTH,

Chris Ilias

Feb 2, 2011, 2:00:06 AM2/2/11

Which ones did you keep enabled?

kes

Feb 2, 2011, 3:08:59 AM2/2/11

0- Mozilla Default plugin
1- 2007 Microsoft Office System
2- VLC Multimedia Plugin
3- Google Earth Plugin
4- Shockwave Flash
5- Java Platform SE 6 U23
6- IE Tab plugin

kes

Feb 2, 2011, 4:24:41 AM2/2/11
On 02/02/2011 00:13, David McRitchie wrote:
> "kes" ...
>> I'm running the latest FF 3.6.13 on Win Pro
>>
>> When I go to > http://preview.tinyurl.com/5wgx67e (TinyURL)
>> (A Merriam Webster pronunciation page)
>>
>> ... FF crashes. (repeatable)
>> Is it just my set up, or is this a general FF problem?
>
> Hi Kes,
> The plug-in that the pronunciation/sound icon at
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/minutiae
> is looking for is "Apple Quicktime" that's probably the only place
> that I run across it, I've managed thus far to avoid installing it and
> will continue to do so.
> Starting from the dictionary page, exactly when does it crash is it
> when you
> click on the sound icon. (I was about to ask if you restarted FF
> after turning
> off plug-ins but that was stupid because FF crashes so, of course).
> Here is a MozillaZine page on Quicktime. But if you disabled the plug-in
> nothing makes sense to me. Not having the plug-in nothing happens at
> all until I click on the sound speaker icon, and then I get a plug-in
> needed

> I would think you would/should get something somewhat similar if the
> plug-in is disabled.

I removed the "Quicktime" plugin some time ago.
I guess the other alternative is I will continue to mispronounce
'Minutiae' :-)

Thanks

Chris Ilias

Feb 2, 2011, 4:16:11 PM2/2/11
On 11-02-02 3:08 AM, kes wrote:

>> Which ones did you keep enabled?
>
> 0- Mozilla Default plugin
> 1- 2007 Microsoft Office System
> 2- VLC Multimedia Plugin
> 3- Google Earth Plugin
> 4- Shockwave Flash
> 5- Java Platform SE 6 U23
> 6- IE Tab plugin

Okay, I was able to reproduce this crash, and get the same signature.
The cause is the combination of the Google Earth plugin and VLC. Disable
one of them, and Firefox will not crash on the mw1.merriam-webster.com page.

kes

Feb 3, 2011, 2:27:08 AM2/3/11
to Chris Ilias

Thanks Chris, that is what I call perseverance!

kes

kes

Feb 3, 2011, 2:27:42 AM2/3/11

Thanks Chris, that is what I call perseverance!

kes

Chris Ilias

Feb 5, 2011, 8:27:12 PM2/5/11

I was going to file a bug for this, but the latest development builds
don't crash on that page.

Try using Firefox 4 Beta instead: <http://firefox.com/beta>.

kes

Feb 6, 2011, 5:33:45 AM2/6/11
On 06/02/2011 02:27, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 11-02-03 2:27 AM, kes wrote:
>> On 02/02/2011 22:16, Chris Ilias wrote:
>>> Okay, I was able to reproduce this crash, and get the same signature.
>>> The cause is the combination of the Google Earth plugin and VLC. Disable
>>> one of them, and Firefox will not crash on the mw1.merriam-webster.com
>>> page.
>>
>> Thanks Chris, that is what I call perseverance!
>
> I was going to file a bug for this, but the latest development builds
> don't crash on that page.
>
> Try using Firefox 4 Beta instead: <http://firefox.com/beta>.

As soon as the 'release candidate' is announced, I will. Thanks.