Re: issues with firefox

H. Lisa

Jun 15, 2010, 11:27:56 AM6/15/10
to support...@lists.mozilla.org
First off, I wanted to respond via your site and the window that opens is so far to the left that I can't read the instructions and I can't read the anti-spam# so I can't complete it there.

Now to the problem that brought me to you in the first place. I can't seem to save my options under tools. I enter my home page and that I want tabs to be saved - BUT every time I open Firefox, your site is my home page and my tabs are lost.

this is the version of Firefox I am currently using:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3

Regards,
Heidi Miller

Fox on the run

Jun 15, 2010, 8:27:30 PM6/15/10

Hi Heidi,

Just want to make sure you understand before I give a bit of advice.
This is a community support group. Where Firefox is a free product,
they do not have a support team. The users like you, me and the
others on this list contribute to support each other.

What is the site that opens up each time you start Firefox? And when
you click on your Home icon, what page opens up? And finally under
Tools, Option, when you look at your home page, what is the option
selected in the pull down for "When Firefox starts..."?

JB

H. Lisa

Jun 15, 2010, 9:16:13 PM6/15/10
to Firefox user help
Aloha JB! Thanks for getting back to me!

When I was trying to chat and then followed the link I thought it went to ff - when I started getting messages, I got that I was mistaken.

Now to your questions:

This the site that shows up when I open a new firefox page

http://www.google.com/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

Originally in the options I had selected "open my tabs and windows from the last session". I also had my site of choice entered as my home page - which should open when I click on the house icon.

I don't know why but the page above is now the home page and instead of my tabs, that opens up.

I have reset it to my previous settings several times, but every time I close ff/turn off my puter, what ever - it goes back to the link above.

Also on this computer I'm using windows xp

Hope this is what you need to know.

Aloha!

________________________________
H. Lisa has written on 6/15/2010 9:16 PM:

> Aloha JB! Thanks for getting back to me!
>
> When I was trying to chat and then followed the link I thought it went to ff - when I started getting messages, I got that I was mistaken.
>
> Now to your questions:
>
> This the site that shows up when I open a new firefox page
>
> http://www.google.com/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official
>

> Originally in the options I had selected "open my tabs and windows from the last session". I also had my site of choice entered as my home page - which should open when I click on the house icon.
>
> I don't know why but the page above is now the home page and instead of my tabs, that opens up.
>
> I have reset it to my previous settings several times, but every time I close ff/turn off my puter, what ever - it goes back to the link above.
>
> Also on this computer I'm using windows xp

Open the page you want as your home page.
Tools > Options > General > Use current page

--
Pete Holsberg
Columbus, NJ

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE IS NO MATCH FOR NATURAL STUPIDITY.

H. Lisa

Jun 16, 2010, 12:04:12 AM6/16/10
to Firefox user help
Aloha Pete!
Thank you for your suggestion! I tried it and thought that I was successful, but when I closed the page and opened it up again it was the Mozilla Firefox Start Page.

should I try to delete and reinstall it?

Aloha Heidi

________________________________
H. Lisa has written on 6/15/2010 9:16 PM:

Fox on the run

Jun 16, 2010, 4:31:51 AM6/16/10
On Jun 15, 11:16 pm, "H. Lisa" <leesakass...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Aloha JB! Thanks for getting back to me!
>
> When I was trying to chat and then followed the link I thought it went to ff - when I started getting messages, I got that I was mistaken.
>
> Now to your questions:
>
> This the site that shows up when I open a new firefox page
>
> http://www.google.com/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:...

> Originally in the options I had selected "open my tabs and windows from the last session". I also had my site of choice entered as my home page - which should open when I click on the house icon.
>
> I don't know why but the page above is now the home page and instead of my tabs, that opens up.
>
> I have reset it to my previous settings several times, but every time I close ff/turn off my puter, what ever - it goes back to the link above.
>
> Also on this computer I'm using windows xp
>
> Hope this is what you need to know.
>
> Aloha!

One possibility for a setting continually resetting itself is if it's
set in the file user.js in the Firefox user's profile directory. You
can check that by navigating to:

c:\documents and settings\{whatever your Windows username is}
\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{profile folder name}

Chances are unless you've set up more than one Firefox profile, there
will only be one folder at that location. In there you will see a
number of files including places.sqlite, cookies.sqlite,
permissions.sqlite, prefs.js and a number of others. Do you see one
called user.js there? If so, examine it's content by opening it in
Notepad and post its content (if not too lengthy). That file is used
to statically set preferences (including home page). So even when a
user changes a setting, on restart of Firefox the setting is restored
to the value in user.js. This is file cannot be edited from within
Firefox. It's a great way to statically set preferences in a
corporate environment, or even at home if you don't want the kids to
mess with certain preferences.

If that is not the case, then we'll have to explore other trouble
shooting options.

JB

Pete Holsberg

Jun 16, 2010, 10:37:57 AM6/16/10
to Firefox user help
H. Lisa has written on 6/16/2010 12:04 AM:

> Aloha Pete!
> Thank you for your suggestion! I tried it and thought that I was successful, but when I closed the page and opened it up again it was the Mozilla Firefox Start Page.
>
> should I try to delete and reinstall it?
>
> Aloha Heidi

When you say "closed the page", do you mean "closed FireFox"?

--
Pete Holsberg
Columbus, NJ

No trees were harmed in the sending of this email,
but billions of electrons were really agitated.
- Anon.

H. Lisa

Jun 16, 2010, 10:42:47 AM6/16/10
to Firefox user help
yes, closing the window

________________________________
H. Lisa has written on 6/16/2010 12:04 AM:

H. Lisa

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jun 16, 2010, 11:02:57 AM6/16/10
H. Lisa wrote:

> yes, closing the window

You closed a window (a page). Did you make sure that *all* instances of
Firefox were closed/exited?

--
-bts

H. Lisa

Jun 16, 2010, 12:05:11 PM6/16/10
to Firefox user help
everything was closed - even rebooted

________________________________

--
-bts

Jay Garcia

Jun 16, 2010, 12:39:55 PM6/16/10

Jun 16, 2010, 1:21:16 PM6/16/10
to Firefox user help
Aloha Jay,
Thanks for the heads up on including all past posts I'll keep that in mind. I removed them because I got the notice that my post was too big.

Also hank you for your help - Tried that (one of the things I had to delete) and I still get the FF page as a home page.

aloha,
Heidi

________________________________
Jun 16, 2010, 1:25:48 PM6/16/10

Please bottom post here, thanks. And it is not necessary to retain all
replies, just those related to your particular issue.

"blank page" and see what happens after you exit/restart FF.

H. Lisa

Jun 16, 2010, 1:32:54 PM6/16/10
to Firefox user help

> On 15.06.2010 10:27, H. Lisa wrote:

sigh, blond moment...sorry

Tried that (one of the things I had to delete) and I still get the FF
page as a home page

David McRitchie

Jun 16, 2010, 1:57:16 PM6/16/10

"H. Lisa" ...

> First off, I wanted to respond via your site and the window that opens is so far
> to the left that I can't read the instructions and I can't read the anti-spam# so I can't complete it there.

I don't think anyone addressed that part of the question because not sure what
you mean. Was it a webpage or dialog box. In either case you should be able
to drag where you want by the title bar. In the rare cases where you can't see
the title bar then use Alt+SpaceBar -> Move -> then user cursor keys to move.
I have no idea what those instructions you were trying to read were does it
have a webpage url address.

Fox on the run

Jun 16, 2010, 2:50:41 PM6/16/10
On Jun 16, 12:46 pm, "H. Lisa" <leesakass...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I had to delete some of the message as it was too large. I followed the path you posted and I don't seem to have a Mozilla folder - see attachment.
>
> Aloha
> Heidi
>
> One possibility for a setting continually resetting itself is if it's
> set in the file user.js in the Firefox user's profile directory.  You
> can check that by navigating to:
>
> c:\documents and settings\{whatever your Windows username is}
> \Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{profile folder name}
>
> JB

If you are running XP, that would be the default location for it. How
about this then, do a search of your C: drive (assuming that is where
you have Windows installed) for the file user.js. If you don't find
one, then obviously you don't have one so we've ruled that out as the
culprit. If you have one, You can view it's content by opening it in
Notepad, as well as get the path (path via right click and
properties).

JB

Message has been deleted

Jay Garcia

Jun 17, 2010, 8:21:09 AM6/17/10

Jun 21, 2010, 1:30:26 PM6/21/10
to Firefox user help
Aloha all and thanks for the help!

I found these instructions and this solved the problem

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Preferences+are+not+saved

Seems I had a corrupt preferences file