wide screen stretching, vs. regular screen squishing

Micky

Aug 22, 2016, 7:36:00 AM8/22/16
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
I finally started using a new monitor, and not only is the white
whiter, but I think the green is greener.

It's wide and the previous one was not.

That's fine, but when I look at a map, the same map is now stretched
to fit the wide screen. How do I know which one is right? Maybe the
map is squished to fit the regular screen.

Wolf K.

Aug 22, 2016, 8:06:47 AM8/22/16
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
As long as you have set the monitor to use its native resolution, there
should be no distortion on webpages. Look at the words on the map, the O
should be circular or a vertical oval.

Movies are another matter, their framing and aspect ratio is set by and
within the player.

If you have trouble reading icon labels etc, use Personalization to
increase font size. Do not change the resolution.

HTH

--
Best,
Wolf K.

Big Al

Aug 22, 2016, 10:54:13 AM8/22/16
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
Download an image of a circle. View it on the screen. Is it a round
circle?
This link is supposed to be one line.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a0/Circle_-_black_simple.svg/2000px-Circle_-_black_simple.svg.png

Micky

Aug 22, 2016, 12:00:03 PM8/22/16
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
Slaps his forehead!

I should have thought of that. I think I knew at least by the time I
was 10 why the test pattern was round. I certainly did by the time I
was 26 and fiddling with vertical linearity. And I think I thought
abou tthis once 5 or 10 years ago. How come I remember all this
stuff, but not about dl'ing a circle.

Anyhow the regular-width CRT monitor is perfect, and the wide
monitor's circle looks like it's going to hatch another circle.

Thanks to both of you.

Another interesting thing, ....but I'll put that in the next post.

Wolf K.

Aug 22, 2016, 1:54:40 PM8/22/16
On 2016-08-22 11:59, Micky wrote:
[...]
> Anyhow the regular-width CRT monitor is perfect, and the wide
> monitor's circle looks like it's going to hatch another circle.
[...]

Looks like you need to change the display settings.

Control Panel --> Display --> Change Display Settings

You should see three drop down menus:

a) Display: a 1 (for 1st display), brand name (Acer here) and model
(H213H here)

b) Resolution: should be the native resolution of that monitor
(1920x1080 (Recommended) here)

c) Orientation: Landscape, which is the default.

Micky

Aug 26, 2016, 6:18:31 PM8/26/16
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 13:53:57 -0400, "Wolf K." <wol...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>On 2016-08-22 11:59, Micky wrote:
>[...]
>> Anyhow the regular-width CRT monitor is perfect, and the wide
>> monitor's circle looks like it's going to hatch another circle.
>[...]
>
>Looks like you need to change the display settings.
>
>Control Panel --> Display --> Change Display Settings
>
>You should see three drop down menus:
>
>a) Display: a 1 (for 1st display), brand name (Acer here) and model
>(H213H here)

It only has one choice there, Generic Non PnP monitor!

Even though it's a Dell computer and a Dell monitor!
(An E2011HL, 20" LED. I've been there and dl'd the driver but haven't
installed it.)

Am I missing anything because it thinks it's generic?

Are there non-PnP monitors that are LED?

>b) Resolution: should be the native resolution of that monitor
>(1920x1080 (Recommended) here)

It says it can't use that one, but 1680 x 1050 fills the screen and
looks pretty nice.

Though I sort of miss 1024 x 768 because everything was so big, I felt
powerful.

>c) Orientation: Landscape, which is the default.
>
>HTH

Yes, indeed.

Am I missing anything because it thinks it's generic?

I went to the Dell webpage for the monitor and a found the same driver
for every OS. Should I install it, just because it says Generic
Non-PnP, or should I leave well enough alone!?

Big Al

Aug 26, 2016, 7:27:47 PM8/26/16
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
Interesting, LG doesn't have the monitor on their support page, but it
sure is a Dell item. But all my googles come up with 1600x900 resolution.