Firefox misbehaving badly

Rhino

Mar 10, 2021, 4:55:58 PM3/10/21
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
I am running FF 86.0 (64 bit) on Windows 10 Home and it is behaving very
badly today. (The timing is odd because I haven't noticed it doing an
update today, although I turned away at one point and it might
conceivably have done so.) Everything was fine yesterday and for the
last several years.

The problematic behaviour first became evident in YouTube. I was
watching a video and tried to write a comment. I clicked on "Add a
public comment" and got the expected line but when I tried to type, got
very odd behaviour.

Here's what I found:
- most letters typed perfectly normally
- the letter 'i' (or 'I') took me to the main page for that YouTube channel
- the letter 'f' (or 'F') put me in full-screen mode for the video
- the letter 'k' (or 'K') toggled play/pause as did the space bar
- the letter 'n' (but not 'N') took me to the next video in the list (I
have autoplay set to off)
- I didn't try any other characters.

I went to another website that allowed commenting and everything worked
fine there. It seems like this problem is unique to YouTube and Firefox.

This is utterly bizarre: I've never seen anything like that before.

In an attempt to isolate the scope of the problem, I tried the same
thing in Chrome and Edge and everything worked normally there. I also
tried my other laptop which has the exact same version of Firefox, and
everything worked normally there too.

Why would I have trouble in just *one* copy of Firefox? And more to the
point, how do I fix this problem?

--
Rhino

Bret Busby

Mar 10, 2021, 5:12:39 PM3/10/21
to support...@lists.mozilla.org
It is probably the malware named javascript, which is designed to sabotage.

I have just spent two hours trying to copy and paste a URL, from one
window to another, and, having managed to achieve the massively
difficult task of copying and pasting the URL, after about twenty
minutes after the pasted URL is displayed, I am still waiting for the
cursor to resume flashing, so that I can do the next task.

The objective of javascript and imposing the use of it, is to eliminate
functionality and productivity. It usually wastes between one and twelve
hours of each of my days.

This is v86.0+build3 for UbuntuMATE Linux 20.10 .

And, it crashes about three to six times daily.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

😉 Good Guy 😉

Mar 10, 2021, 8:10:47 PM3/10/21
On 10/03/2021 22:12, Bret Busby wrote:

The objective of javascript and imposing the use of it, is to eliminate functionality and productivity. It usually wastes between one and twelve hours of each of my days.

how many Add-Ons have you installed?

And, it crashes about three to six times daily.

Please try launching Firefox in Safe Mode.  This means disable all Add-Ons and then try to run Firefox to see if it still crashes "six times daily".  See this picture to see how you can restart the browser with all Add-Ons disabled:

[ Add-Ons Disabled ]

--

With over 1.2 billion devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

😉 Good Guy 😉

Mar 10, 2021, 8:15:23 PM3/10/21
On 10/03/2021 21:55, Rhino wrote:

Why would I have trouble in just *one* copy of Firefox?
It could be that it has some Add-Ons while other copies don't have the same Add-Ons.

And more to the point, how do I fix this problem?

Disable all Add-Ons and then see if FF is still "misbehaving badly".  After you've disabled the Add-Ons, it should "behave well" assuming there are no other corruptions on your system.

Ant

Mar 11, 2021, 5:41:41 PM3/11/21
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
http://reddit.com/r/firefox had people complains YouTube.com web site
not working and then Google fixed it.
"Don't stop to stomp ants when the elephants are stampeding." --unknown
this signature correctly.
/\___/\ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
/ /\ /\ \ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
| |o o| | Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
\ _ / Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
( )