FF (3.5.6) VS IE8

1 view

cheerfulcharlie

Dec 24, 2009, 3:32:20 PM12/24/09

I'm currently experimenting with designing a page but I'm having a
problem.

The page in questions is http://remyhunter.co.uk/Untitled_1.html

If you look at the page in IE8 the navigation links (yet to be
activated) and telephone numbers to the top appear as they were
designed with cell padding set at 20. If you look at the page in FF
the same links are all squashed to the edge of the table. Does anyone
know wha'ts causing this? The same problem happens with Chrome as
well.

I'm no expert in HTML but I would appreciate if someone could suggest
a solution.

Many thanks.

Message has been deleted

David Pyles

Dec 24, 2009, 4:33:42 PM12/24/09
On 12/24/2009 3:34 PM, cheerfulcharlie wrote:
> Sorry, I just realised that the page I meant to link to is the one
> below:
> http://remyhunter.co.uk/Untitled_2.html

The link above returns a file not found error.

Looking at your other page http://remyhunter.co.uk/Untitled_1.html put a
DOCTYPE declaration in your page before the <html> page so the browsers
know how to parse your file. You can use this (3 lines):

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

(Note that the html tag in included above, so just replace your current

You have not closed your <head> with </head> tag before opening the
and add </body></html> in its place.

If the file in question is set up like
http://remyhunter.co.uk/Untitled_1.html then changing those errors might
help the display.

Dave Pyles

C A Upsdell

Dec 24, 2009, 4:50:10 PM12/24/09

Step 1 is always to fix the coding errors. Use the W3C HTML and CSS
validators, fix the errors they list, then work from there.

The on-line validators are at:

http://validator.w3.org/

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Also, to help get maximum browser compatibility, use a Strict DOCTYPE.

cheerfulcharlie

Dec 24, 2009, 7:47:10 PM12/24/09
On Dec 24, 9:33 pm, David Pyles <non...@user.invalid> wrote:
> On 12/24/2009 3:34 PM, cheerfulcharlie wrote:> Sorry, I just realised that the page I meant to link to is the one
> > below:
> >http://remyhunter.co.uk/Untitled_2.html
>
> The link above returns a file not found error.
>
> Looking at your other pagehttp://remyhunter.co.uk/Untitled_1.htmlput a

> DOCTYPE declaration in your page before the <html> page so the browsers
> know how to parse your file.  You can use this (3 lines):

>    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>
> (Note that the html tag in included above, so just replace your current
>
> You have not closed your <head> with </head> tag before opening the
> and add </body></html> in its place.
>
> If the file in question is set up likehttp://remyhunter.co.uk/Untitled_1.htmlthen changing those errors might

> help the display.
>
> Dave Pyles

Thanks for the suggestion Dave. I have done what you said but it's
still
doing the same thing http://remyhunter.co.uk/Untitled_1.html

cheerfulcharlie

Dec 24, 2009, 7:49:24 PM12/24/09
On Dec 24, 9:50 pm, C A Upsdell <cupsd...@nospam.nospam> wrote:
> cheerfulcharlie wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I'm currently experimenting with designing a page but I'm having a
> > problem.
>
> > The page in questions ishttp://remyhunter.co.uk/Untitled_1.html

> > If you look at the page in IE8 the navigation links (yet to be
> > activated) and telephone numbers to the top appear as they were
> > designed with cell padding set at 20.  If you look at the page in FF
> > the same links are all squashed to the edge of the table.  Does anyone
> > know wha'ts causing this?  The same problem happens with Chrome as
> > well.
>
> > I'm no expert in HTML but I would appreciate if someone could suggest
> > a solution.
>
> Step 1 is always to fix the coding errors.  Use the W3C HTML and CSS
> validators, fix the errors they list, then work from there.
>
> The on-line validators are at:
>
>      http://validator.w3.org/
>
>      http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
>
> Also, to help get maximum browser compatibility, use a Strict DOCTYPE.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the links. I will act upon them soon as there are many
errors in my pages!

David Pyles

Dec 24, 2009, 10:25:14 PM12/24/09
I Missed one. You need to put a <title>...</title> element inside the
head element. There are a bubch of other errors, for example your
width="720"> instead of <table align="center" width="720" Also, the
closing tags in your table rows should be </tr> instead of < /tr>.

Once you have fixed those follow this link to run your page through the
W3C html validator:
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fremyhunter.co.uk%2FUntitled_1.html

Your page looks fine in my Firefox browser, btw. Could you post a
screen shot of what you're seeing so that I can se whether I'm seeing
something different. Just upload a screen shot to your web server and
post a link here, because this forum doesn't allow attachments.

Dave Pyles

Dave Pyles

Once you add the title element and close your

C A Upsdell

Dec 25, 2009, 2:04:37 AM12/25/09

Two points:

1. A single error *could* cause a serious problem. You should validate
and fix any errors *before* any testing. Why waste a lot of time
debugging problems when you could have found and fixed them before
testing begins?

2. A side-effect of using the validators is that you get a better
understanding of the standards, which will help you make fewer errors in
the future.

cheerfulcharlie

Dec 25, 2009, 5:51:58 AM12/25/09
On Dec 25, 3:25 am, David Pyles <non...@user.invalid> wrote:
> cheerfulcharlie wrote:
> > On Dec 24, 9:33 pm, David Pyles<non...@user.invalid>  wrote:
> >> On 12/24/2009 3:34 PM, cheerfulcharlie wrote:>  Sorry, I just realised that the page I meant to link to is the one
>
> >> The link above returns a file not found error.
>
> >> Looking at your other pagehttp://remyhunter.co.uk/Untitled_1.htmlputa
> >> DOCTYPE declaration in your page before the<html>  page so the browsers
> >> know how to parse your file.  You can use this (3 lines):
>
> >> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
> >>     "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>
> >> (Note that the html tag in included above, so just replace your current
>
> >> You have not closed your<head>  with</head>  tag before opening the
> >> and add</body></html>  in its place.
>
> >> If the file in question is set up likehttp://remyhunter.co.uk/Untitled_1.htmlthenchanging those errors might

> >> help the display.
>
> >> Dave Pyles
>
> > Thanks for the suggestion Dave.  I have done what you said but it's
> > still
> > doing the same thing  http://remyhunter.co.uk/Untitled_1.html
>
> I Missed one.  You need to put a <title>...</title> element inside the
> head element.  There are a bubch of other errors, for example your
> width="720"> instead of <table align="center" width="720"  Also, the
> closing tags in your table rows should be </tr> instead of < /tr>.
>
> Once you have fixed those follow this link to run your page through the
> W3C html validator:http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fremyhunter.c...

> Your page looks fine in my Firefox browser, btw.  Could you post a
> screen shot of what you're seeing so that I can se whether I'm seeing
> something different.  Just upload a screen shot to your web server and
> post a link here, because this forum doesn't allow attachments.
>
> Dave Pyles
>
> Dave Pyles
>
> Once you add the title element and close your- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Dave. I'll edit the coding tonight or tomorrow. I'll also
post a link to a screenshot as well.

Merry Christmas to you.

cheerfulcharlie

Dec 25, 2009, 10:31:20 PM12/25/09
On Dec 25, 3:25 am, David Pyles <non...@user.invalid> wrote:
> cheerfulcharlie wrote:
> > On Dec 24, 9:33 pm, David Pyles<non...@user.invalid>  wrote:
> >> On 12/24/2009 3:34 PM, cheerfulcharlie wrote:>  Sorry, I just realised that the page I meant to link to is the one
>
> >> The link above returns a file not found error.
>
> >> Looking at your other pagehttp://remyhunter.co.uk/Untitled_1.htmlputa
> >> DOCTYPE declaration in your page before the<html>  page so the browsers
> >> know how to parse your file.  You can use this (3 lines):
>
> >> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
> >>     "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>
> >> (Note that the html tag in included above, so just replace your current
>
> >> You have not closed your<head>  with</head>  tag before opening the
> >> and add</body></html>  in its place.
>
> >> If the file in question is set up likehttp://remyhunter.co.uk/Untitled_1.htmlthenchanging those errors might

> >> help the display.
>
> >> Dave Pyles
>
> > Thanks for the suggestion Dave.  I have done what you said but it's
> > still
> > doing the same thing  http://remyhunter.co.uk/Untitled_1.html
>
> I Missed one.  You need to put a <title>...</title> element inside the
> head element.  There are a bubch of other errors, for example your
> width="720"> instead of <table align="center" width="720"  Also, the
> closing tags in your table rows should be </tr> instead of < /tr>.
>
> Once you have fixed those follow this link to run your page through the
> W3C html validator:http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fremyhunter.c...

> Your page looks fine in my Firefox browser, btw.  Could you post a
> screen shot of what you're seeing so that I can se whether I'm seeing
> something different.  Just upload a screen shot to your web server and
> post a link here, because this forum doesn't allow attachments.
>
> Dave Pyles
>
> Dave Pyles
>
> Once you add the title element and close your- Hide quoted text -

I seem to have corrected the problems with the cell padding issues in
the
top table on this page http://remyhunter.co.uk/untitled2.html
as it looks the same in both my FF and IE8 browsers.

I have yet to validate them though but will do this tomorrow.

I have encountered a new problem in that I removed the captions that
Simpleviewer
generated for the gallery as I didn't want them there. However, they
don't appear in IE8 but
do in FF. Any ideas what I'd need to do to remove them for FF? The
code for the gallery.xml file
is below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<simpleviewerGallery maxImageWidth="400" maxImageHeight="491"
textColor="0xffffff" frameColor="0xffffff" frameWidth="5"
stagePadding="10" navPadding="40" thumbnailColumns="3"
thumbnailRows="5" navPosition="left" vAlign="center" hAlign="center"
title="click on a thumbnail to enlarge" enableRightClickOpen="false"
backgroundImagePath="" imagePath="" thumbPath="" showCaptions="false">
<image>
<filename>Jessie Cave.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Charlotte Marshall bw.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Darren Clarke.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Gareth Dowson.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Helen Smelt.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>James Floyd.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Jason Welsh.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Brie Doffing.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Joe England.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>John Horwood.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Johnny Guim.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Katie Warsop.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Kyle Treslove.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Lee Garrett.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Lena Andersson.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Lionel Lewis.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Lynne Brenner.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Marc Verter.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Michael Adams.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Michael Shane.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Michele Monks.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Murray Smith.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Rayyah McCaul.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Robert Peel.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Simon Wegrzyn.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Steve Watts.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Timi Fadipe.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Torunn Buaroy.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Tracey Button.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
<image>
<filename>Trevor Littledale.jpg</filename>
<caption></caption>
</image>
</simpleviewerGallery>

cheerfulcharlie

Dec 26, 2009, 8:47:54 AM12/26/09
On Dec 26, 3:31 am, cheerfulcharlie <remyhun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 25, 3:25 am, David Pyles <non...@user.invalid> wrote:
>

> > cheerfulcharlie wrote:

> > > Thanks for the suggestion Dave.  I have done what you said but it's
> > > still
> > > doing the same thing  http://remyhunter.co.uk/Untitled_1.html
>
> > I Missed one.  You need to put a <title>...</title> element inside the
> > head element.  There are a bubch of other errors, for example your
> > width="720"> instead of <table align="center" width="720"  Also, the
> > closing tags in your table rows should be </tr> instead of < /tr>.
>
> > Once you have fixed those follow this link to run your page through the
> > W3C html validator:http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fremyhunter.c...
>
> > Your page looks fine in my Firefox browser, btw.  Could you post a
> > screen shot of what you're seeing so that I can se whether I'm seeing
> > something different.  Just upload a screen shot to your web server and
> > post a link here, because this forum doesn't allow attachments.
>
> > Dave Pyles
>
> > Dave Pyles
>
> > Once you add the title element and close your- Hide quoted text -

> I seem to have corrected the problems with the cell padding issues in
> the
> top table on this pagehttp://remyhunter.co.uk/untitled2.html
> </simpleviewerGallery>- Hide quoted text -

EDIT: Fine now as when I restarted the computer the captions were gone
in the FF browser as well.

Bill Braun

Dec 26, 2009, 3:14:37 PM12/26/09

Your questions relate more to the manner in which different
browsers read HTML markup and CSS. You will get better help
posing your question to HTML and CSS folks. Here is one good
place to start (for CSS): http://www.css-discuss.org/

Bill B