Gmail inbox won't list messages

David McRitchie

Jul 22, 2007, 3:02:48 PM7/22/07
I can't get gmail to list messages in Firefox. shows over 250 are in inbox queue
- does not work in my default profile
- does not work in safe mode
- works in a new profile

Since it does not work in safe mode, I think there is no reason to
retest by disabling extensions.

I removed all google.com cookies
reset all about:config items with gmail

Works in IE
Worse in Opera nothing shows on the page at all after logging in
and I make no changes to Opera.

Windows 2000 Firefox 2.0.0.5 more details at
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/infolister_listing.htm

--
David McRitchie, Firefox Customizations in pictures
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/pictures.htm

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Jul 22, 2007, 3:18:14 PM7/22/07
David McRitchie wrote:
> I can't get gmail to list messages in Firefox. shows over 250 are in inbox queue
> - does not work in my default profile
> - does not work in safe mode
> - works in a new profile
>
> Since it does not work in safe mode, I think there is no reason to
> retest by disabling extensions.
>
> I removed all google.com cookies
> reset all about:config items with gmail
>
> Works in IE
> Worse in Opera nothing shows on the page at all after logging in
> and I make no changes to Opera.
>
> Windows 2000 Firefox 2.0.0.5 more details at
> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/infolister_listing.htm

perhaps you're seeing gmail in standard view. If you look
under "You are currently using . . . of your 2879 MB" then
you will see the options of:

Gmail view: standard with chat | standard without chat |
basic HTML

try clicking on basic HTML. Do things work now?

one. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

UnderDog

Jul 22, 2007, 3:32:50 PM7/22/07
"David McRitchie" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message

> I can't get gmail to list messages in Firefox. shows over 250 are in
> inbox queue
> - does not work in my default profile
> - does not work in safe mode
> - works in a new profile
>
> Since it does not work in safe mode, I think there is no reason to
> retest by disabling extensions.
>
> I removed all google.com cookies
> reset all about:config items with gmail
>
> Works in IE
> Worse in Opera nothing shows on the page at all after logging in
> and I make no changes to Opera.
>
> Windows 2000 Firefox 2.0.0.5 more details at
> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/infolister_listing.htm

I'm running Win2k SP 4 and FF 2.0.0.5 as well, and I don't have that
problem. Gmail loads fine. I don't know if it helps, but I did have the
problem when I used Maxthon. The page would finish loading, but the screen
would remain blank (white). I know when Gmail first came out, it had issues
with FF, but I thought the issues were since resolved. I'm assuming you're
using the mail.google.com link? A while back, a no browser check link would
work for such issues. Just out of curiosity, will it work for you if you
use this link:

http://gmail.google.com/gmail?nocheckbrowser

David McRitchie

Jul 22, 2007, 3:56:55 PM7/22/07
"Peter Potamus the wrote ...

> David McRitchie wrote:
> > I can't get gmail to list messages in Firefox. shows over 250 are in inbox queue
>
> perhaps you're seeing gmail in standard view. If you look
> under "You are currently using . . . of your 2879 MB" then
> you will see the options of:
>
> Gmail view: standard with chat | standard without chat |
> basic HTML
>
> try clicking on basic HTML. Do things work now?
=========

Sure does, Thanks, and pasted big generated url which I guess has all
my settings and probably ID into Opera and it works as well and made
it even longer url about five times the big one I gave it. Which since the
page was blank in Opera that's an additional relief.

Here is what I misread, and Opera is clearly not in the top group, but
I wasn't concerned about it, and it looked like Firefox was in the top
supported group but I guess it lost when it moved up to 2.0.0.5.
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6557&topic=1524

--
David McRitchie

David McRitchie

Jul 22, 2007, 4:08:31 PM7/22/07
"UnderDog"

> Just out of curiosity, will it work for you if you
> use this link: http://gmail.google.com/gmail?nocheckbrowser

No it doesn't work, but clicking on "basic HTML" as suggested by Peter (/Grant)
worked fine from there as well. Thanks.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Jul 22, 2007, 4:17:20 PM7/22/07

I haven't been able to figure this out myself. It works
just fine in a plain profile, but not in my normal one. It
must be a setting somewhere.