website won't display properly except in a private window

BillH

Mar 22, 2021, 4:13:51 PM3/22/21
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
I have a weird problem that just started today.

I have a website that won't display properly in a "normal" window, but
displays just fine in a private window. When I go to the website I see
where the images should be (there is a blue square where the image
should be), but there is no text.

All extensions are disabled in both the "normal" window and the private
window.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? Is it some setting I
have that applies only in a "normal" window but not a private window?

I am completely stumped.

Thanks,
Bill

--
If you want to send me an email, you must remove "NOSPAM" from my email
address before replying.

Jeremy Nicoll

Mar 22, 2021, 8:26:46 PM3/22/21
to ML - mozilla-ff-firefox-support
On Mon, 22 Mar 2021, at 20:13, BillH wrote:
> I have a weird problem that just started today.
>
> I have a website that won't display properly in a "normal" window, but
> displays just fine in a private window. When I go to the website I see
> where the images should be (there is a blue square where the image
> should be), but there is no text.

Presumably the code in the normal window benefits from cached data
and cookie data maybe set by the site concerned on previous visits,
but the private window might not do?

Do you normally clear caches and cookies etc? If your normal window
works on the first use after everything was cleared that might be a
better comparison with a private window.

If of course you're not in the habit of clearing everything, you might
not want to clear it to test that situation. My preference is to clear
everything at least once, most days, & not rely on FF remembering
anything, but some people would be horrified if it forgot all the
stuff it remembers.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.

BillH

Mar 22, 2021, 10:12:18 PM3/22/21
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
@Jeremy,

Thanks for the reply. As it turns out the website started working again
without my doing anything about an hour after I posted my message. There
must have been some sort of problem on the website. I'm not sure why it
was having a problem in a normal window but worked fine in a private
window.

WaltS48

Mar 24, 2021, 8:10:33 AM3/24/21
On 3/23/21 8:08 AM, TCW wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 13:13:37 -0700, BillH <bhte...@NOSPAMgmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a weird problem that just started today.
>>
>> I have a website that won't display properly in a "normal" window, but
>> displays just fine in a private window. When I go to the website I see
>> where the images should be (there is a blue square where the image
>> should be), but there is no text.
>>
>> All extensions are disabled in both the "normal" window and the private
>> window.
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? Is it some setting I
>> have that applies only in a "normal" window but not a private window?
>>
>> I am completely stumped.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bill
> Ah, sorry, I saw just now that you're on 78.8.1 from the message
> header. 78.9.0 will likely be releasing today so maybe try and see if
> you can get it if it's available at the official FF download location
> or wait for it to auto-update if you have it set to do so.

Do I have a bug in my Thunderbird?

His message header for me shows "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64;
x64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/78.8.1" not Firefox.

Firefox 78.9.0 ESR should be out.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/78.9.0/releasenotes/

--
OS: Fedora 33 Workstation - Gnome Desktop

BillH

Mar 24, 2021, 11:53:14 AM3/24/21
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
At the time of my original posting I was on Firefox 86.0.1 or 86.1
(can't remember) and Thunderbird 78.8.1.

My problem I originally posted about is fixed, it was a website problem.
Not sure why it displayed in a private window but not in a "normal"
window.