Secure Connection Failed

Eustace

Mar 27, 2018, 9:40:46 PM3/27/18
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
When I get this:

=============================
Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.ebt.acs-inc.com. SSL peer
has no certificate for the requested DNS name. Error code:
SSL_ERROR_UNRECOGNIZED_NAME_ALERT

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the
authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
=============================

What can I do? Is there any way to go to the website anyway?

--
It ain't me, babe - A radical reinterpretation
http://emf.neocities.org/bd/itaintmebabe.html

---

Wolf K

Mar 28, 2018, 9:11:18 AM3/28/18
On 2018-03-27 21:40, Eustace wrote:
> When I get this:
>
> =============================
> Secure Connection Failed
>
> An error occurred during a connection to www.ebt.acs-inc.com. SSL peer
> has no certificate for the requested DNS name. Error code:
> SSL_ERROR_UNRECOGNIZED_NAME_ALERT
>
>     The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the
> authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
>     Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
> =============================
>
> What can I do?

Not much from your end. The problem is at their end.

Wait a day or two and try again, in case the problem has been fixed. Or
try physical, non-electronic contact in person. Or the phone, or the US
Postal service.

> Is there any way to go to the website anyway?

Use another browser that's less picky about security than Firefox is.
(Chrome, IE, Edge).

However, since I get the same error, it looks to me like the website has
been hacked. Or that there was some update to it which broke the
security. Either way, your credentials could be stolen. Maybe they've
already been stolen. I'd get in touch with the relevant authorities
ASAP I if I were you.

Good luck and best wishes,

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

VanguardLH

Mar 28, 2018, 11:03:38 AM3/28/18
Eustace wrote:

> When I get this:
>
> =============================
> Secure Connection Failed
>
> An error occurred during a connection to www.ebt.acs-inc.com. SSL peer
> has no certificate for the requested DNS name. Error code:
> SSL_ERROR_UNRECOGNIZED_NAME_ALERT
>
> The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the
> authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
> Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
> =============================
>
> What can I do? Is there any way to go to the website anyway?

Since SSL is involved, you were using HTTPS to connect to the site.
Something is wrong with their site certification, like the domain in the
cert doesn't match the site or their cert expired.

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www.ebt.acs-inc.com

That shows the name in the cert doesn't match their domain name. Click
on the link to proceed with all the tests. Looks like they thought they
could go cheap and share a site cert amongst multiple domains without
getting a cert for that. Neither the Subject or Alternate Names fields
in their site cert specify acs-inc.com.

You can't do anything about them screwing up their site certificate
other than contacting them to report their screwup. Send them the above
ssllabs URL to show them what is wrong with their site cert.

Dave Royal

Mar 28, 2018, 11:13:06 AM3/28/18
On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 21:40:05 -0400, Eustace wrote:

> When I get this:
>
> =============================
> Secure Connection Failed
>
> An error occurred during a connection to www.ebt.acs-inc.com. SSL peer
> has no certificate for the requested DNS name. Error code:
> SSL_ERROR_UNRECOGNIZED_NAME_ALERT
>
> The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the
> authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
> Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
>
> What can I do? Is there any way to go to the website anyway?

It's not very helpful that when you click 'Learn more…' it gives you no
clue what that message means.

It seems that site is using a certificate which does not match the URL
you're using. It's valid for:
incapsula.com *.api.connectebt.com *.connectebt.com connectebt.com

No mention of 'acs-inc' - might be suspicious.
--
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)