current time not updating

Andy Jacobson

Sep 29, 2020, 11:36:33 AM9/29/20
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
I recently updated to thunderbird 78.2.2 (and whatever lightning that implies). Oddly, the current-time line in the calendar display now updates only very infrequently. Right now, it's 32 minutes behind real time. Has anyone else seen this? I think it used to be much more accurate. Thanks!

WaltS48

Sep 29, 2020, 12:49:54 PM9/29/20
On 9/29/2020 11:33 AM, Andy Jacobson wrote:
> I recently updated to thunderbird 78.2.2 (and whatever lightning that implies). Oddly, the current-time line in the calendar display now updates only very infrequently. Right now, it's 32 minutes behind real time. Has anyone else seen this? I think it used to be much more accurate. Thanks!

What current time line?

The red line in Day View? How do you tell what time it indicates? I see
no tool tip using TB 78.3.1 on Windows10.

I checked just before 12:30 PM local time and the line appeared to be
1/4 of the way between 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM. When the time changed to
12:30 PM I checked again and the line was 1/2 way between those times.

I did have to select the Mail tab and back to the Calendar tab to see
the change.

Now that it is past 12:45 pm the line appears 3/4 of the way between the
hour marks.

Does the same problem occur in safe mide using Help > Restart with
Add-ons Disabled?

Arthur Conan Doyle

Sep 29, 2020, 2:30:57 PM9/29/20
Andy Jacobson <lok...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I recently updated to thunderbird 78.2.2 (and whatever lightning that implies). Oddly, the current-time line in the calendar display now updates only very infrequently.
>Right now, it's 32 minutes behind real time. Has anyone else seen this? I think it used to be much more accurate. Thanks!

I tend not to use the day view, so I hadn't noticed this, but yes - seeing the
same behavior.

WaltS48

Sep 29, 2020, 2:56:01 PM9/29/20
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
So where are you seeing this exactly?

Seeing that the Day view only increments every 15 minutes.

Were you responding to my post?

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://give.thunderbird.net/en-US/

Arthur Conan Doyle

Sep 29, 2020, 5:09:49 PM9/29/20
WaltS48 <sch...@invalid.net> wrote:

>So where are you seeing this exactly?
>
>Seeing that the Day view only increments every 15 minutes.
>
>Were you responding to my post?

Yes, I was responding to your post about the red line not accurately reflecting
current time. I switched from monthly view to day view using the tabs in the
upper right of the calendar window and noted that the red line lagged behind
current time.

If if only updates every 15 minutes, that's fine, but it does not appear to do
this on the cardinal divisions (0, 15, 30, 45) as of right now it is 6 minutes
past the hour, but the red line appears to be about 5 minutes before the hour.

I also see no way to refresh the red line, nor does switching to inbox and back
to calendar do anything.

It's immaterial to me as I do not use day view or the red line very often. I was
just trying to support your post.

WaltS48

Sep 29, 2020, 6:28:10 PM9/29/20
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
Support Andy's post.

I switched to the Calendar tab, selected Day view at 5:46 pm, monitored
the red indicator line for a half hour. and it did not change position
at 6:00 or 6:15 PM.

When I switched to the Mail tab and back to the Calendar tab the line
was in the correct place.

I await the OP's response.

Andy Jacobson

Sep 30, 2020, 12:23:43 AM9/30/20
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
Well, gosh, so nice to come back and see all this traffic. Thanks all! I use the week view, and I am referring to the "red line" (is it red for everyone?) It's around 30 minutes behind real time right now.

WaltS48

Sep 30, 2020, 8:22:08 AM9/30/20
On 9/29/20 9:51 PM, Andy Jacobson wrote:
> Well, gosh, so nice to come back and see all this traffic. Thanks all! I use the week view, and I am referring to the "red line" (is it red for everyone?) It's around 30 minutes behind real time right now.

It doesn't change when you select the Mail tab, then back to the
Calendar tab?

Are you using Thunderbird for the Calendar only?

Right now it is 8:05 am here and the "time line" is on 8:00 am in my
Week view.

As I reported, it doesn't change if I just leave Thunderbird open to the
Calendar tab. I needed to select the Mail tab, then when I went back to
the calendar tab, the line was in the correct quarter hour location.

The same occurred with the Week view test I just performed.

Does the same problem occur in safe mode using Help > Restart with
Add-ons Disabled?

Andy Jacobson

Sep 30, 2020, 11:36:24 AM9/30/20
On Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 6:22:08 AM UTC-6, WaltS48 wrote:

> It doesn't change when you select the Mail tab, then back to the
> Calendar tab?

Yes, just now that did change the location of the red line, but it is still 20 minutes behind real time.

> Are you using Thunderbird for the Calendar only?

No, I use it for mail and calendar.

> Right now it is 8:05 am here and the "time line" is on 8:00 am in my
> Week view.

On first view this morning, the red line was 14 hours in the future! That's the worst I've noticed yet. It looks like it got the day right, but did not update the time from when I slept the machine last night.

> Does the same problem occur in safe mode using Help > Restart with
> Add-ons Disabled?

No. I think you're on to something there. With add-ons disabled, I waited for two quarter-hour updates, and they both happened right on time. Notably, the only add-on that I'm using is Provider for Google Calendar. Should I report that to the add-on developers?

-Andy

Brian

Sep 30, 2020, 11:36:56 AM9/30/20
to support-...@lists.mozilla.org
On 29/09/2020 16:33, Andy Jacobson wrote:
> I recently updated to thunderbird 78.2.2 (and whatever lightning that implies). Oddly, the current-time line in the calendar display now updates only very infrequently. Right now, it's 32 minutes behind real time. Has anyone else seen this? I think it used to be much more accurate. Thanks!

Yes, when the TB has been open for a while the time (red line) remains
static. Restarting TB updates the time.

Brian

Sep 30, 2020, 11:36:57 AM9/30/20
to support-...@lists.mozilla.org
On 29/09/2020 16:33, Andy Jacobson wrote:
> I recently updated to thunderbird 78.2.2 (and whatever lightning that implies). Oddly, the current-time line in the calendar display now updates only very infrequently. Right now, it's 32 minutes behind real time. Has anyone else seen this? I think it used to be much more accurate. Thanks!

Brian

Sep 30, 2020, 11:36:58 AM9/30/20
to support-...@lists.mozilla.org
On 29/09/2020 16:33, Andy Jacobson wrote:
> I recently updated to thunderbird 78.2.2 (and whatever lightning that implies). Oddly, the current-time line in the calendar display now updates only very infrequently. Right now, it's 32 minutes behind real time. Has anyone else seen this? I think it used to be much more accurate. Thanks!

WaltS48

Sep 30, 2020, 4:21:40 PM9/30/20
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
Yes, you should report that to the extensions developer.

Support information is on the extensions page.

<https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/provider-for-google-calendar/>

Henk de Jong

Sep 30, 2020, 4:42:12 PM9/30/20
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
I see the same problem and besides other add-ons I do not have the
"Provider for Google Calendar" installed.

--
With kind regards,
Henk de Jong

WaltS48

Sep 30, 2020, 5:07:55 PM9/30/20
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
You see the time line 14 hours in the future?

Sorry to hear that.

I've done my testing, reported my findings, and don't have a problem
unless I just keep the calendar tab open and viewed. Never seen it go
into the future.

I'm a Multiweek view user and probably can't provide any further help.

Henk de Jong

Sep 30, 2020, 5:25:40 PM9/30/20
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
Nope, I do not see the 14 hours in the future, but I see the time line
lagging behind till I switch one or more times between the tab with
e-mails and the calendar tab or after I completely restart TB.
I think it has nothing to do with any particularly add-on. But I have no
proof of that ;-)

--
With kind regards,
Henk de Jong

--
Met vriendelijke groet/With kind regards,
Henk de Jong

7 Sisters Restaurant
https://www.7sistersrestaurant.com

WaltS48

Sep 30, 2020, 6:04:48 PM9/30/20
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
Unless someone states otherwise that is the normal behavior.

I'm not installing older versions to test with as it's not an issue for me.