Calendar disappeared

David Sweeney

Oct 13, 2020, 9:09:59 AM10/13/20
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
I opened Thunderbird 78 today and all my calendar entries were gone. How do I get them back

WaltS48

Oct 13, 2020, 9:33:07 AM10/13/20
On 10/13/20 8:28 AM, David Sweeney wrote:
> I opened Thunderbird 78 today and all my calendar entries were gone. How do I get them back

You start by providing more information. My 🔮 is in the shop getting an
engine replacement.

What calendar entries?
On the computer calendars?
On the network calendars?
CalDAV or ICS?
Using the Provider for Google Calendar extension? It needs to be updated
for 78.

How long have you been using Thunderbird 78?

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://give.thunderbird.net/en-US/

croy

Oct 13, 2020, 11:55:02 AM10/13/20
On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 05:28:38 -0700 (PDT), David Sweeney <dmswe...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I opened Thunderbird 78 today and all my calendar entries were gone. How do I get them back

The only way I know of is from a backup.

I've had Thunderbird pull that on me too many times over several years. Now I use a different,
stand-alone, and more fully-featured, reminder app, and I've not had it loose any data in 3
years.

--
croy

Grahame Erskine

Oct 15, 2020, 7:52:54 AM10/15/20
On Tuesday, 13 October 2020 at 14:09:59 UTC+1, dmswe...@gmail.com wrote:
> I opened Thunderbird 78 today and all my calendar entries were gone. How do I get them back

I have the same problem. Google calendar is fine. However, if I click "hide" then "view" on individual Lightning calendars, the data is presented.
Problem solved? .. er, no! If I close T'bird and reopen it, the data has disappeared again.
However, significantly, a calendar I created only a few days ago is always on view, which suggests the other calendars have been screwed, (again!) by an update.
I have yet to try the laborious process of deleting every calendar, recreating it and relinking with the Google URL.

WaltS48

Oct 15, 2020, 8:38:07 AM10/15/20
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
So the network calendar is fine, but those you created locally are not?

I'm not experiencing any problems with my local calendars in Thunderbird
78.3.2.

Have you tried safe mode using Help > Restart with Add-ons disabled?

Mark Erdrich

Oct 15, 2020, 11:42:35 PM10/15/20
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
I'm seeing the same issue. Most of my calendars are from Google, and when I go to the Calendar tab, all events are hidden. If I hide/show the calendar, the events appear. Right click Show All Calendars does nothing. I'm relatively new to Thunderbird, so there could be something I'm missing...

I have confirmed that stopping/starting Thunderbird is where the issue is occurring.

It's almost like the code is written to have all calendars off by default at startup, but it never goes through the list of calendars to see which ones to show...

Thanks,

Mark

Grahame Erskine

Oct 19, 2020, 7:48:33 AM10/19/20
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
I have found a workaround for my problem, which seems to be related to the "British English Dictionary" add-on. If I go through, disabling add-ons selectively, killing this one works and my calendars work just fine again. I think the core problem is T'Bird 78.3.3, as the killing the dictionary also screws my spell checker in mail. when disabled. (For our US friends: that means it offers funny spellings, inserting "z" where "s" is correct, at least on this side of the pond.)

No doubt it will get fixed in time.

WaltS48

Oct 19, 2020, 8:04:58 AM10/19/20
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
Are you using the Provider for Google Calendar extension?

It should be version 78.0.1.

I use Google CalDAV and only have one Google calendar that works just
fine. All of my calendars work.

I also have the British English Dictionary (Marco Pinto) version 2.89
installed.

Dave Bogan

Oct 24, 2020, 7:05:11 PM10/24/20
On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 6:09:59 AM UTC-7, dmswe...@gmail.com wrote:
> I opened Thunderbird 78 today and all my calendar entries were gone. How do I get them back

I'm having the same issue. Every time I open TB my calendar is empty. All entries local and network.

The hide/show trick mentioned below works but I have to do it every time I open TB. This began 2 updates back.

I'm currently one 78.4 on win 10 pro. (English US)

Provider for google calendar is my only addon and it is version 78.0.1

Doug David

Jan 21, 2021, 11:23:03 PM1/21/21
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
FWIW exact same issue here. Local calendar displays events fine at start up but all my calendars are network cals on Google.

Issue appears to have been raised with the Provider for Google Calendar dev: https://github.com/kewisch/gdata-provider/issues/124. Temp workaround appears to be deleting Provider extension then reinstalling externally from TBird using the downloaded xpi file.

Christian vA

Mar 23, 2021, 10:43:28 PM3/23/21
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
Same problem here.
As this problem is now about 5 months old: is there any news on this? Having to click through my list of calenders every day is a bit annoying :-)

WaltS48

Mar 24, 2021, 8:05:31 AM3/24/21
On 3/23/21 6:09 PM, Christian vA wrote:
> Same problem here.
> As this problem is now about 5 months old: is there any news on this? Having to click through my list of calenders every day is a bit annoying :-)

You are following the issues on the developer of the Provider for Google
Calendar issues page?

https://github.com/kewisch/gdata-provider/issues/120

https://github.com/kewisch/gdata-provider/issues/123

https://github.com/kewisch/gdata-provider/issues/124

I think there are workarounds in those posts.

Have you checked the discussion forum?

https://groups.google.com/g/provider-for-google-calendar

Read the FAQ https://github.com/kewisch/gdata-provider/wiki/FAQ

Has the extension been updated lately? Last version I see on ATN is from
August of last year.

I switched from using the extension to using the Google CalDAV calendar.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1261974

--
OS: Fedora 33 Workstation - Gnome Desktop