**THIS FORUM WILL BE SHUT DOWN SOON**

Chris Ilias

Mar 27, 2021, 4:25:17 PM3/27/21
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
*WHAT IS HAPPENING*
Mozilla is shutting down the newsgroup server (news.mozilla.org) and
mailing lists (list.mozilla.org).

*WHEN IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN*
lists.mozilla.org: April 3
news.mozilla.org: Sometime after April 3

*WHAT YOU WILL EXPERIENCE*
Because all posts to this newsgroup go through the mailing list, no
messages will be approved after April 3. You will still be able to
access news.mozilla.org, but there will be no new posts in this
newsgroup after that. If you try to post a message, it will just not appear.

Sometime after that, Giganews will shut down news.mozilla.org, and you
will no longer be able to access the newsgroup.

*WHERE TO FIND THE ARCHIVE*
The archive of this newsgroup will be kept intact at
https://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.calendar/
As with other newsgroups that have been shuttered in the past, the
archive will be read-only.

You can also download all messages before the news server is shut down.
1. In your Local Folders account, create a new folder called
"mozilla.support.calendar"
2. Open the newsgroup, then go to Edit-->Select-->All.
3. Go to Message-->Move_to-->Local_Folders-->mozilla.support.calendar
NOTE: There are over 10,000 messages, so it will take a long time to
download. You may want to select batches of messages instead of
selecting all.

*WHERE TO GO FOR SUPPORT*
The primary Thunderbird support forum is at
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/thunderbird?show=all
Other languages can be found at
https://support.mozilla.org/kb/get-community-support

If you prefer newsgroups, there may be newsgroups on Usenet where you
can find Thunderbird support. If not, try netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news.

*WHY THIS IS HAPPENING*
Mozilla has been migrating off of mailing lists and newsgroups for many
years now. Many of the mailing lists have already closed down and moved
to https://discourse.mozilla.org/
Even though a support web forum already exists, the support
newsgroups/lists have remained open for the lifetime of the server.

*WHERE TO ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS ANNOUNCEMENT*
You can reply to this post, and I'll try to answer any questions.
If you have questions after the shutdown, you can find me in the
#thunderbird chat room at
https://chat.mozilla.org/#/room/#thunderbird:mozilla.org or the #sumo
chat room at https://chat.mozilla.org/#/room/#SUMO:mozilla.org

My display name is cilias

Pierre D

Mar 28, 2021, 11:41:05 PM3/28/21
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
Only a 7-day notice? I only come to this forum once a month or two, unless I am
active in a thread and looking for an answer. So I could have easily missed this. It
is sheer luck that I came to it the day after your post.

Can the shutdown be postponed a bit? I am sure I am not alone.
Thanks

Pierre

Chris Ilias

Mar 29, 2021, 8:28:59 AM3/29/21
On 2021-03-28 11:40 p.m., Pierre D wrote:
> Only a 7-day notice? I only come to this forum once a month or two,
> unless I am active in a thread and looking for an answer. So I could
> have easily missed this. It is sheer luck that I came to it the day
> after your post.
>
> Can the shutdown be postponed a bit? I am sure I am not alone.
> Thanks

Hi Pierre,
I have no control over the schedule.