Cannot edit single instance of recurring event

Pierre D

Dec 4, 2019, 3:56:24 PM12/4/19
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
I recently upgraded from TB 60.9 to TB 68.2.2 and now 68.3, along with its
corresponding Lightning.

Since the upgrade, I am unable to edit a single instance of a recurring event. The
event is on a Google calendar, synced with CalDav.

When I go to save the event change, I get "The event has recently been changed on
the server. Submitting your change will override the changes made on the server".
There are two buttons:
- Submit my changes anyway
- Discard my changes and reload

No matter how many times I click on "Submit", the error comes right back, and I am
forced to use "Discard". The only way out is to go to the Google Calendar in the
browser and edit it there. Then the change shows up in Lightning. But that defeats
the purpose of using Lightning.

The error message is incorrect as there is absolutely no change that happened on the
server. And the Submit button apparently does not submit anything.

I didn't use to have this problem with TB 60. What happened in TB68 that broke this?

Pierre

WaltS48

Dec 4, 2019, 5:43:18 PM12/4/19
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
I don't see the problem with the Google CalDAV calendar in Thunderbird
68.3.0 on my Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS Linux system.

I just created a recurring event that started today at 9 pm and had it
repeat daily until next Wednesday.

Clicked on the event and the "Edit Repeating Event" dialog window opened.
I selected "Edit all occurrences".
I edited the start time to 8 pm.
Clicked "Save and Close".
All occurrences updated without any problem.

Selected the event on Saturday.
Selected "Edit only this occurrence".
Edited the start time to 10 pm.
Clicked "Save and Close" and the event was saved.

I'm not a big user of recurring events. I have one that occurs on Monday
and Wednesday. I just drag and drop it into the next week on those days.

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

Pierre D

Dec 6, 2019, 12:12:44 PM12/6/19
On 12/04/19 17:43, WaltS48 wrote:
> I don't see the problem with the Google CalDAV calendar in Thunderbird 68.3.0 on my
> Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS Linux system.
I am on Win10 1909. Maybe the problem only occurs on Windows.

> I'm not a big user of recurring events. I have one that occurs on Monday and
> Wednesday. I just drag and drop it into the next week on those days.
I have plenty of recurring events so this bug is really annoying. Can anyone else try
it on Windows 10 with a Google CalDav calendar?

It just happened again and I had to go to the website to edit the calendar. Grrrr.

Pierre

Pierre D

Jan 5, 2020, 1:17:37 PM1/5/20
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
I am still having the problem. Would it be a Windows specific problem since Walt is
not having it on Ubuntu? Can someone try the same scenario on Windows with a CalDav
Google calendar?

As I said, it didn't use to happen with TB 60.9 and associated Lightning. It started
when I jumped to TB 68.

Lightning is the ONLY add-on running in this instance of TB (I have separate
instances of TB running for mail and for calendar - long legacy reason).

Any relief?

Pierre

WaltS48

Jan 9, 2020, 1:38:16 PM1/9/20
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
I'm not seeing a problem using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64;
rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/68.3.1, but I don't run separate
instances for mail and calendar.

Do you have an email account associated with the calendar?

WaltS48

Jan 9, 2020, 2:03:17 PM1/9/20
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
On 1/5/2020 1:17 PM, Pierre D wrote:
Tested with a calendar only profile and I can't reproduce your problem.

I created an event that started at 3 pm today, then edited next
Thursdays event to start a half hour later. Then edited all events to
start an hour later without a problem.

Yuto Takano

Mar 12, 2021, 7:51:20 AM3/12/21
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
I've been experiencing the same exact issue. Recurring event on Google Calendar, synced via CalDav/WebDav to Thunderbird 78.8.0 on Win 10. Try to edit one instance (e.g. change the title or the location), and the "Override changes?" messages shows multiples times unless I dismiss it (thus cancelling my edit).

Pierre D

Mar 28, 2021, 11:31:12 PM3/28/21
On 03/11/21 18:01, Yuto Takano wrote:

> I've been experiencing the same exact issue. Recurring event on Google Calendar,
synced via CalDav/WebDav to Thunderbird 78.8.0 on Win 10. Try to edit one instance
(e.g. change the title or the location), and the "Override changes?" messages shows
multiples times unless I dismiss it (thus cancelling my edit).

It's nice to know I am not alone in this predicament. So far the reports are only for
Windows. Not sure why that problem would be Win specific, but who knows.
I must add that I am seeing the problem on different Google accounts. But since they
are all set up the same way, that's probably not a great piece of info.

Is there any debugging info that can be collected to help pinpoint this problem down?

Thanks for any help.

Pierre

WaltS48

Mar 29, 2021, 7:51:58 AM3/29/21
to mozilla-supp...@lists.mozilla.org
Official Thunderbird and calendar support is at Thunderbird Help
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird>.
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird>

Unofficial support can be found in the Calendar
<http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=46&sid=058f35a2616564341ee32998616733ac>
topic of mozillaZine.