Breaking change to Taskcluster Client libraries

Dustin Mitchell

Nov 13, 2018, 5:20:46 PM11/13/18
to release-engineering, tools-taskcluster
Hi friends --

https://github.com/taskcluster/taskcluster-rfcs/pull/135 proposes a
change in how client libraries handle environment variables.

If you use the Python or JS clients, this is a breaking change and
potentially a subtle one - details are in the "compatibility" section.
Please have a look and comment on the PR.

Dustin

Justin Wood

Nov 13, 2018, 8:03:38 PM11/13/18
to Mitchell, Dustin, release-engineering, tools-taskcluster
Does this impact how the command line client works?

And how `taskcluster signin` specifically works?

Dustin Mitchell

Nov 13, 2018, 10:03:06 PM11/13/18
to Wood, Justin, release-engineering, tools-taskcluster
On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 8:03 PM Justin Wood <jw...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Does this impact how the command line client works?

No (but I should address that specifically in the RFC).

> And how `taskcluster signin` specifically works?

Also no. We still support these specific env vars -- they are just
not used by default.

Dustin

Dustin Mitchell

Nov 15, 2018, 8:43:25 AM11/15/18
to Wood, Justin, release-engineering, tools-taskcluster
I have moved this to the final-comment phase, as it has internal
agreement. Please speak up soon if this will cause any issues!
Final-comment will last through the weekend and I will begin
implementation on Monday.

Dustin

Dustin Mitchell

Nov 30, 2018, 10:53:34 AM11/30/18
to Wood, Justin, release-engineering, tools-taskcluster
I'll be landing this change shortly, releasing both the JS and Python
clients at version 10.0.0 (a big version jump, but for other TC
libraries we have used 10.x as a marker of "rootUrl aware").

The Go library will come along shortly.

Dustin

Dustin Mitchell

Nov 30, 2018, 10:55:01 AM11/30/18
to Wood, Justin, release-engineering, tools-taskcluster
Hah, I forgot the JS library is already rootUrl-aware, so the correct
new version is 12.0.0.

Dustin