Mozilla @ jsconf.asia

Danishka Navin

Nov 20, 2014, 1:06:49 AM11/20/14
to Firefox Marketing
Jan Jongboom from Telenor giving his talk right but he just claimed himself
as a FirefoxOS contributor but nothing about local community.

So, partners do not support community at least by using single word.. but
we help them to their business?

Danishka Navin

Nov 20, 2014, 5:02:02 AM11/20/14
to Firefox Marketing
Overall its a good talk with cool demos
On Nov 20, 2014 2:16 PM, "Danishka Navin" <dani...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway he highlighted JanOS as an alternative to FirefoxOS. :)
>
> Please find the attached file herewith.

Stormy Peters

Nov 20, 2014, 8:26:19 AM11/20/14
to Danishka Navin, Firefox Marketing
You could talk to him, explain what all the community has done to promote
Firefox OS (and his business), thank him for his contributions, and ask him
if he would mention community and upcoming activities and invite others to
participate next time.

Stormy

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 11:06 PM, Danishka Navin <dani...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jan Jongboom from Telenor giving his talk right but he just claimed himself
> as a FirefoxOS contributor but nothing about local community.
>
> So, partners do not support community at least by using single word.. but
> we help them to their business?

Danishka Navin

Nov 20, 2014, 11:30:59 AM11/20/14
to Stormy Peters, Firefox Marketing
Hi Stormy,

I met him but just said "hi', someone else introduced me but I did not want
to explain or to give my feedback as its not my business (I was almost
silent). Later he also joined with us for a group photo [1]
I believe that it should fix from top not from the bottom.

Moreover I wasn't invited to one of the recent local meetup has been called
by 2~3 Mozilla staff regarding a upcoming FirefoxOS launch though I already
singed the NDA. So, I really prefer to stay away from parter related
activities as Mozilla doesn't have any TRUST on people those who helped
before.

I managed to pass the bellow message over twitter. Still I am wrong as I
did tweet though my keon device is given to a student who help to run
Mozilla events in Sri Lanka. So, I gave a promise... but this can be fix.

https://twitter.com/danishkanavin/status/535316399560720385

I just pointed what I noticed but I did not want to correct anyone. I
believe did the right thing.

I know this is not the right place to talk about this but I don't have any
other channel to pass this message.

[1]
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152858594527867&set=a.10152087475757867.1073741838.623242866&type=1&theater

I think Mozilla Communities should not just focus on FirefoxOS WebApps
development events but other Hardware+App level hacking such as how we can
use the device hardware + linux kernel and geko to build appliances that
comes with specific interface/app.
Thats what I learn from his talk/demo.

It would be nice if you can get such people in to play ground! :)

Thanks,
Danishka
--
Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com

Stormy Peters

Nov 20, 2014, 12:43:43 PM11/20/14
to Danishka Navin, Firefox Marketing
I think we should all assume good intent. So the Telecom guy might not have
known what the community is doing or maybe he didn't know it was ok to talk
about it or maybe he didn't know you would really like him to say
something. It's not a top vs bottom thing. It's about who ever sees
opportunity to help and make our processes better!

So I would have approached it not with "you didn't mention community" but
rather as "hey, great talk! I'm Stormy from the community. Would you mind
mentioning our work next time to help us get more people to will join us?"

And thank *you*, Danishka, for all your work! :)

Stormy

Chris Hofmann

Nov 20, 2014, 2:08:46 PM11/20/14
to Stormy Peters, Danishka Navin, Firefox Marketing

Hi Danishka,

stormy mentioned it but experienced contributors like yourself and
others must *trust* that new comers like jan jongboom will learn and
talk about the past contributions of others as time goes on and their
experience grows. The "old-timers" must help them to understand and
learn these things.

Considering the size and scale of the Mozilla project today there is a
lot for any new contributor like Jan to learn. Its not fair to make Jan
learn all that before he speaks about Mozilla or tries to represent the
things he is most passionate about.

As stormy mentioned assuming good intent and providing benifit of the
doubt is the key.

In the case you mentioned where 2-3 new mozillans didn't invite you to a
meet-up, we've researched and explained to you the reasons that an
invitation wasn't sent. The invitations were made trying to use the
Mozilla Reps's directory to find local reps and your name didn't match
their location-based search criteria.

More people need to update the Reps and Mozillans directories and
explain all the ways and places in which they have participated, and
want to contribute to the project in the future. If you want to just do
localization list only that aspect. If you want represent mozilla and
participate in marketing launches and other non-localization activities
be sure to list that interest too. if you want to write code or help
test make sure it's listed.

Making the right connections in an organization as large and as global
as Mozilla is proving to be one of our greatest challenges. We need to
find ways to make the connections better and stronger.

More care and more awareness must also be taken by event organizers in
trying to find and invite contributors around the world for all the
events that are happening. You are right about that! The challenge
there is a big one with so many new people, organizing so many events,
in so many places and so many different kinds of activities going on.

Again, assuming good intent and providing benefit of the doubt is the
key to developing more trust and making sure the right connections
happen in the future.

You can make the choice to stay away from partner actives. That's ok,
but it doesn't instill the kind of trust that will make us stronger. We
have to find ways to make the partnerships work better and be stronger.
We understand the difficulty and hope that you would step up to the
challenge. As stormy also mentioned. You've been a great contributor
to Mozilla and want to see that continue in all the ways that you feel
comfortable.

-chofmann