Provide better access to graphic material

Oliver Propst

Feb 21, 2014, 8:13:52 AM2/21/14
to mark...@lists.mozilla.org, crea...@mozilla.com
I have noticed that while Mozilla are excellent in providing the community
with brand guidelines that can used to create community websites, posters
and other graphical material [1]. Mozilla could do a better of job
providing a central place for people who have already created creative
graphical material such as posters or stickers designs.

Its seams to me to that items are scattered around the wiki or missing (I
miss graphical material with the Dino for example).

Therefore I would want to suggest that we create a central place on the
wiki for hosting, these types of material (after approval).

Another alternative would be be host the material on a could storage
service
or set-up an instance of Owncloud (that we use in the GNOME community) that
are only accessible to people who haven accounts on Mozilla.org or Reps [3].

1 http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/styleguide/
2 http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/styleguide/
3 http://owncloud.org/

--
-mvh Oliver Props

William Duyck

Feb 21, 2014, 8:19:47 AM2/21/14
to Oliver Propst, crea...@mozilla.com, mark...@lists.mozilla.org
I’ve been thinking about a similar idea for slides (not the presentations so much as the individual slides).

Maybe we could put this into play better using the assets.mozillalabs.com repo, and move that to github (iirc its git driven). That way it could be managed, and accept pull requests.

reps.mozilla.org William Duyck
Mozilla Reps Mentor

Email: wdu...@mozillafoundation.org
Twitter: @FuzzyFox0

Oliver Propst

Feb 21, 2014, 8:47:39 AM2/21/14
to William Duyck, crea...@mozilla.com, mark...@lists.mozilla.org
On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 2:19 PM, William Duyck <fuzz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I’ve been thinking about a similar idea for slides (not the presentations
> so much as the individual slides).
>
> Maybe we could put this into play better using the assets.mozillalabs.comrepo, and move that to github (iirc its git driven). That way it could be
> managed, and accept pull requests.

This could very well be an option.

The concern I have with github (beside that it is a third party) is that
I'm not sure how well suited github is to host graphical material that tend
to be larger flies.

--
-mvh Oliver Propst

Irvin Chen

Feb 22, 2014, 11:45:21 AM2/22/14
to Oliver Propst, William Duyck, crea...@mozilla.com, mark...@lists.mozilla.org
GitHub have limit on repo size (not sure how about repo under mozilla
accounts that should be business account?), Also you have to pull before
push, it's means we'll have to pull a huge size before just add an single
file.

It's not good solution for binary files.

Maybe an old style way of FTP uploading / smb, or even more modern file
storage of Dropbox or Google Drive would be better for image files.

Oliver Propst <oliver...@gmail.com> 於 2014年2月21日星期五寫道:

> On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 2:19 PM, William Duyck <fuzz...@gmail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > I’ve been thinking about a similar idea for slides (not the presentations
> > so much as the individual slides).
> >
> > Maybe we could put this into play better using the
> assets.mozillalabs.comrepo, and move that to github (iirc its git driven).
> That way it could be
> > managed, and accept pull requests.
> >

> This could very well be an option.
>
> The concern I have with github (beside that it is a third party) is that
> I'm not sure how well suited github is to host graphical material that tend
> to be larger flies.
>
> --
> -mvh Oliver Propst

@ irvinfly: community liaison
moztw.org Mozilla Taiwan community

Oliver Propst

Feb 22, 2014, 11:53:10 AM2/22/14
to Irvin Chen, William Duyck, crea...@mozilla.com, mark...@lists.mozilla.org
On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 5:45 PM, Irvin Chen <irvi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> GitHub have limit on repo size (not sure how about repo under mozilla
> accounts that should be business account?), Also you have to pull before
> push, it's means we'll have to pull a huge size before just add an single
> file.
>
> It's not good solution for binary files.
>
> Maybe an old style way of FTP uploading / smb, or even more modern file
> storage of Dropbox or Google Drive would be better for image files.

My suggestion is to setup an instance of ownCloud, which is a open source
self-hosting cloud storage
solution similar to Dropbox/Google Drive [1].

1 http://owncloud.org/

--
-mvh Oliver Propst

John Slater

Feb 24, 2014, 2:25:07 PM2/24/14
to Oliver Propst, William Duyck, Irvin Chen, crea...@mozilla.com, mark...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi all. Good to see this conversation taking place, and we (Mozilla Creative team) are always happy to participa
te and advise as necessary.

As a general rule, if something isn't already in the Assets Repo it may be because we decided it wasn't an appropriate way to communicate the brand (or, it could just be that it hasn't come up yet). If you're not sure, please email crea...@mozilla.com any time you have a question or need something specific and we'll work with you to figure it out.

Thanks
John

John Slater, Director of Creative
blog.mozilla.org/creative
twitter.com/mozcreative

Oliver Propst

Feb 25, 2014, 11:51:25 AM2/25/14
to John Slater, William Duyck, Irvin Chen, crea...@mozilla.com, mark...@lists.mozilla.org
Thanks for your answer Jon, I have emailed the team my questions.
--
-mvh Oliver Propst