image license

rmar...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2014, 7:26:41 AM2/11/14

I'm developing a small library in java to use with smart cards (will be released with MIT license).
I have the intention to use the sslwarning.png image (it depicts an authority agent inspecting a document) in a dialog that requests the authentication pin to a user.

The image is covered with a license that permits the intended use?

Best Regards,
Rui Martinho

Benjamin Smedberg

Feb 11, 2014, 9:31:21 AM2/11/14
to rmar...@gmail.com, le...@lists.mozilla.org
The image files, as with all the rest of Firefox code, is covered by the
MPL version 2.0.

I am not a lawyer, but I believe you can mix MPL and MIT-licensed code
as long as you follow the license terms for the MPL files. Those terms
won't "infect" other files in your project, since the MPL is not a viral
license.

--BDS

Gervase Markham

Feb 11, 2014, 9:41:09 AM2/11/14
to Benjamin Smedberg, rmar...@gmail.com
On 11/02/14 14:31, Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
> The image files, as with all the rest of Firefox code, is covered by the
> MPL version 2.0.
>
> I am not a lawyer, but I believe you can mix MPL and MIT-licensed code
> as long as you follow the license terms for the MPL files. Those terms
> won't "infect" other files in your project, since the MPL is not a viral
> license.

"Yes", "yes" and "sort of, but yes for rmartinho's purposes". (The MPL
is a weak copyleft license.)

Gerv