Licensing of big Aurora and Nightly logos at https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/styleguide/identity/firefox/channels/

Aleksej

Dec 26, 2012, 2:56:08 PM12/26/12
to mozill...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi.

<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/legal.html#site> says most of the
content of the website is under the CC BY-SA v3.0 license. It lists
exceptions, among which is:
“The trademarks and logos of the Mozilla Foundation and any third party
and the look and feel of this web site (to the extent the look and feel
elements are works of authorship, such as the graphic design, artwork,
and artistic illustrations) are not included in the work that is
licensed under the Creative Commons terms.”

1. Does that exception include both copyright and trademark rights?
2. Does that exception apply to the big Aurora and Nightly logos at
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/styleguide/identity/firefox/channels/> as
well?

Gervase Markham

Dec 29, 2012, 12:24:44 PM12/29/12
to Aleksej
On 26/12/12 19:56, Aleksej wrote:
> Hi.
>
> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/legal.html#site> says most of the
> content of the website is under the CC BY-SA v3.0 license. It lists
> exceptions, among which is:
> “The trademarks and logos of the Mozilla Foundation and any third party
> and the look and feel of this web site (to the extent the look and feel
> elements are works of authorship, such as the graphic design, artwork,
> and artistic illustrations) are not included in the work that is
> licensed under the Creative Commons terms.”
>
> 1. Does that exception include both copyright and trademark rights?

Creative Commons is a copyright license, so that exception applies
specifically to copyright rights. However, as the default for trademarks
is "can't use", without an explicit trademark license, using our
trademarks is also not allowed.

Basically, don't pretend to be us, or our website :-)

> 2. Does that exception apply to the big Aurora and Nightly logos at
> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/styleguide/identity/firefox/channels/> as
> well?

I believe it may do, yes. The logo available for everyone to use is the
globe-without-the-fox.

Gerv

Aleksej

Jan 8, 2013, 10:19:05 AM1/8/13
to mozill...@lists.mozilla.org
Thanks.

Also, all the pictures of those “monsters” etc are apparently included
in the exception, which makes the exception pretty large (e.g. for
screenshots).