New module proposal: Static Analysis & Rewriting

Ehsan Akhgari

Sep 29, 2015, 2:03:09 PM9/29/15
to gover...@lists.mozilla.org, Steve Fink, Birunthan Mohanathas, Michael Layzell, Jeff Muizelaar
I would like to propose the creation of a new module that is focused on
performing compile time checks and analyses on our C++ code, and also to
provide tools for mass automatic rewriting of it.

The scope of this module includes our existing clang-plugin checks (showing
up as "S" builds on TreeHerder), the rooting hazard analysis checks
(showing up as "H" builds on TreeHerder) and also other new checks and
tools which will be written/adopted as needed in the future. Also under
this module we will work on making mass rewrites of our C++ code a
reality. That includes both tools for fixing coding style issues, and also
more sophisticated rewrites that can help us refactor our code more easily
and effectively. While the rewriting side of things is much younger than
the analysis side of things, my goal is to formalize the current efforts,
and speed up the development of this area with the awesome peers we have on
the CC list.

Here is the details for the module:

Name: Static analysis & rewriting
time, plus tools for automated rewriting of C++ code.
Owner: Ehsan Akhgari
Peer(s): Steve Fink, Michael Layzell, Jeff Muizelaar, Birunthan Mohanathas
Source Dir(s): build/clang-plugin, tools/rewriting among other out of tree
tools.
Bugzilla Component(s): Core::Rewriting & Analysis
URL(s):
Discussion Group: mozilla.dev.platform

Cheers,
--
Ehsan

Andrew McCreight

Sep 29, 2015, 2:29:21 PM9/29/15
to gover...@lists.mozilla.org
This sounds good! It sounds like Javascript rewriting and analysis is
specifically excluded, maybe because most of our JS is in Firefox, not
Core? Should C++ be in the name of the module?

You should make a wiki page listing these tools (which then could be added
as a URL for the module), and ideally a single repo for the various things
people come up with (for instance, I've hacked up a thing to fix mode lines
that just lives in a random repo I have ), at least where there isn't one
already.

Andrew

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan....@gmail.com>

Ehsan Akhgari

Sep 29, 2015, 3:02:50 PM9/29/15
to Andrew McCreight, gover...@lists.mozilla.org
On 2015-09-29 2:29 PM, Andrew McCreight wrote:
> This sounds good! It sounds like Javascript rewriting and analysis is
> specifically excluded, maybe because most of our JS is in Firefox, not
> Core?

Yes. This is restricted to C++.

> Should C++ be in the name of the module?

Sure!

> You should make a wiki page listing these tools (which then could be added
> as a URL for the module), and ideally a single repo for the various things
> people come up with (for instance, I've hacked up a thing to fix mode lines
> that just lives in a random repo I have ), at least where there isn't one
> already.

Agreed. Documenting the existing stuff and converging towards a common
base is on the list of my goals.

Ehsan Akhgari

Oct 14, 2015, 8:56:29 PM10/14/15
to Andrew McCreight, gover...@lists.mozilla.org
2 weeks without any objections. I went ahead and created the module!

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan....@gmail.com>
wrote:
--
Ehsan