MPL Beta 1 draft released!

Luis Villa

Dec 6, 2010, 2:19:02 PM12/6/10
to governance...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello, MPL team!

We are excited to announce the first Beta draft of the next version of
the Mozilla Public License. Our intent is for this Beta to be "feature
complete", and to focus on polish and correctness in preparation for a
final release early next year.

There are several significant changes in this release, most notably:
* the removal of "Original Software"
* continued revisions of the venue and GPL compatibility clauses

There are also a number of smaller tweaks, some of them resulting from
feedback from members of this list. For more details, see the
"Discussion and Markup" document (linked below.)

We believe that the license is now feature complete, but we still
welcome participation, as with previous drafts. Specific textual
comments are particularly welcome; we've worked hard to make things
accurate and comprehensible, but if you see rough spots, please let us
know. We're also still open to policy changes if need be, though we hope
things are settled enough to not require them.

Now is also a good time to distribute the Beta elsewhere- if you know of
other MPL users who have not heard of the process, please reach out to
them and let them know what we're doing. Their voices are particularly
important to us.

Thanks- look forward to your thoughts and comments-
Luis, on behalf of the rest of the Mozilla MPL team

Everything in one place:

http://mpl.mozilla.org/participate/beta

The text of the new draft:

http://mpl.mozilla.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/MPL-beta-one.pdf (also
in text + html at mpl.mozilla.org/participate/beta)

Discussion and annotation of the draft:

http://mpl.mozilla.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/B1-discussion-and-markup.pdf

Tool for providing commentary:

https://mpl.co-ment.com/text/QjVVEZQRaCe/view/

--
Luis Villa, Mozilla Legal
work email:lvi...@mozilla.com (preferred)

Mook

Dec 7, 2010, 12:07:28 AM12/7/10
to mozilla-govern...@lists.mozilla.org
On 12/6/2010 11:19 AM, Luis Villa wrote:
> We are excited to announce the first Beta draft of the next version of
> the Mozilla Public License. Our intent is for this Beta to be "feature
> complete", and to focus on polish and correctness in preparation for a
> final release early next year.
<snip>

> Tool for providing commentary:
>
> https://mpl.co-ment.com/text/QjVVEZQRaCe/view/

As an interested observer, is there a way to get
https://mpl.co-ment.com/text/QjVVEZQRaCe/history/ to also show MPL 1.1
(i.e. the currently popular version), so that it is easier to compare
the two? (In the mean time, I'll go look at the pdf, but that's really
not as comfortable - my normal day involves code, not documents.)

--
Mook

Luis Villa

Dec 7, 2010, 1:53:16 AM12/7/10
On 12/6/10 9:07 PM, Mook wrote:
> On 12/6/2010 11:19 AM, Luis Villa wrote:
>> We are excited to announce the first Beta draft of the next version of
>> the Mozilla Public License. Our intent is for this Beta to be "feature
>> complete", and to focus on polish and correctness in preparation for a
>> final release early next year.
> <snip>

>> Tool for providing commentary:
>>
>> https://mpl.co-ment.com/text/QjVVEZQRaCe/view/
>
> As an interested observer, is there a way to get
> https://mpl.co-ment.com/text/QjVVEZQRaCe/history/ to also show MPL 1.1
> (i.e. the currently popular version), so that it is easier to compare
> the two? (In the mean time, I'll go look at the pdf, but that's really
> not as comfortable - my normal day involves code, not documents.)

I can do it, but it doesn't work very well, I'm afraid. Automated diff
tools (like the one that powers co-ment) are confused by all the moved text.

To generate the diff in the pdf, I used dwdiff to generate a raw diff
between markdown copies of each text, and then hand-edited the resulting
output. (Source in each case is a markdown-formatted version of MPL 1.1
and Beta 1.)

I've attached the markdown[1] source file for the hand-tuned diff, and
HTML generated from it. If you process those into something you find
more readable, please share!

Hope that helps-
Luis

[1] Actually pandoc's extension of markdown:
http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/demo/example9/pandocs-markdown-vs.standard-markdown.html

MPL-11-to-B1.text
MPL-11-to-B1.html