Re: "Larger Work," one last time [was Re: MPL submitted to Open Source Initiative]

Benoit Jacob

Dec 23, 2011, 3:20:38 PM12/23/11
to Luis Villa, governance...@lists.mozilla.org

----- Original Message -----
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Benoit Jacob <bja...@mozilla.com>
> wrote:

Even with the new phrasing, it still seems possible to me (non-lawyer, non-native-English-speaker) to interprete 1.7 as excluding static linking.

Could please you add an entry about this to the MPL FAQ? Some real users indicated that just a FAQ entry clarifying the intent of the license, would already help.

Cheers,
Benoit

Alexis Richardson

Dec 23, 2011, 3:23:43 PM12/23/11
to Benoit Jacob, governance...@lists.mozilla.org, Luis Villa
In my experience, if lawyers can do something, and bill for it, they will...

Luis Villa

Dec 23, 2011, 3:26:57 PM12/23/11
to Benoit Jacob, governance...@lists.mozilla.org
Yes, I'll add a FAQ entry.

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Benoit Jacob <bja...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> [...]

Mitchell Baker

Dec 23, 2011, 3:53:12 PM12/23/11
to governance...@lists.mozilla.org
I'm hoping this is intended as a humorous comment. .. . .

Both Luis and Heather are (a) volunteers and (b) quite dedicated to
doing the best thing. They are leading this effort to update the MPL as
volunteer contributors because of their support for the license and the
project. Heather has been a volunteer contributor to Mozilla for over
a decade.

I am intensely grateful for their contributions and feel they represent
what's great about the Mozilla project as much as anyone.

mitchell

On 12/23/11 12:23 PM, Alexis Richardson wrote:
> In my experience, if lawyers can do something, and bill for it, they will...

Alexis Richardson

Dec 23, 2011, 3:57:02 PM12/23/11
to Mitchell Baker, governance...@lists.mozilla.org
Oh... yes, I see. Yes, I am extremely grateful too.

I was simply trying to suggest that ambiguity can be exploited
cynically by others in the future.

Mitchell Baker

Dec 23, 2011, 3:58:17 PM12/23/11
to Alexis Richardson, governance...@lists.mozilla.org
Ah! a comment on humanity as a species? thanks for the clarification

mitchell

Alexis Richardson

Dec 23, 2011, 5:48:41 PM12/23/11
to Mitchell Baker, governance...@lists.mozilla.org
More a comment on 5+ years of watching folks find holes in MPL 1.1....

Mitchell Baker

Dec 23, 2011, 10:43:04 PM12/23/11
to Alexis Richardson, governance...@lists.mozilla.org
Very much like code. Do something new, stress the code in new ways, and
new questions, potential bugs, features or flaws are revealed. Only
this time the compiler is the human brain, often one housed in a system
called "lawyer" :-)

mitchell

Alexis Richardson

Dec 24, 2011, 6:33:45 PM12/24/11
to Mitchell Baker, governance...@lists.mozilla.org
Which leads me to ask: under what license is the text of the MPL released?

Have a good xmas/holiday everyone.

alexis

Luis Villa

Jan 1, 2012, 4:55:14 PM1/1/12
to Benoit Jacob, governance...@lists.mozilla.org
On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Benoit Jacob <bja...@mozilla.com> wrote:

After reviewing the existing FAQ entries, I've slightly edited an
existing FAQ entry to address this issue.

Q10: How 'viral' is the MPL? If I use MPL-licensed code in my proprietary
application, will I have to give all the source code away?

No. The license requires that Modifications (as defined in Section 1.10
of the license) must be licensed under the MPL and made available to anyone
to whom you distribute the Source Code. However, new files containing no
MPL-licensed code are not Modifications, and therefore do not need to be
distributed under the terms of the MPL, even if you create a Larger
Work (as defined in Section 1.7) by using, compiling, or
distributing the non-MPL files together with MPL-licensed files.
This allows, for example,
programs using MPL-licensed code to be statically linked to and
distributed as part of a larger
proprietary piece of software, which would not generally be possible under
the terms of stronger copyleft licenses.

Benoit Jacob

Jan 1, 2012, 7:14:34 PM1/1/12
to Luis Villa, governance...@lists.mozilla.org
> After reviewing the existing FAQ entries, I've slightly edited an
> existing FAQ entry to address this issue.
>
> Q10: How 'viral' is the MPL? If I use MPL-licensed code in my
> proprietary
> application, will I have to give all the source code away?
>
> No. The license requires that Modifications (as defined in Section
> 1.10
> of the license) must be licensed under the MPL and made available
> to anyone
> to whom you distribute the Source Code. However, new files
> containing no
> MPL-licensed code are not Modifications, and therefore do not need
> to be
> distributed under the terms of the MPL, even if you create a Larger
> Work (as defined in Section 1.7) by using, compiling, or
> distributing the non-MPL files together with MPL-licensed files.
> This allows, for example,
> programs using MPL-licensed code to be statically linked to and
> distributed as part of a larger
> proprietary piece of software, which would not generally be
> possible under
> the terms of stronger copyleft licenses.

Many thanks, that's explicit indeed.

Happy new year,
Benoit