suggestions for MPL FAQ entries?

Luis Villa

Feb 8, 2011, 10:49:29 AM2/8/11
to governance...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi, all-

I've started working on a new FAQ, and I was wondering if folks here
had any questions they wanted to add to it. Theb starting list below
has been culled from the MPL 1.1 FAQ, discussions on this list, and
private emails and conversations I've had; feel free to add more
(and/or suggest ways to clarify the phrasing and organization of
existing questions.)

Thanks-
Luis

About Mozilla and the MPL
1. Why should I use MPL?
2. Section 6 of MPL 1.1 says Netscape can update the license, but
Mozilla isn’t Netscape. How can Mozilla update the license?
3. Who maintains the MPL?

Common Questions
4. I want to use software which is available under the MPL. What do I
have to do?
5. I want to distribute software which is available under the MPL,
either changed or unchanged, within my organization. What do I have to
do?
6. I want to distribute (outside my organization) complete and
unchanged binary packages provided by Mozilla. What do I have to do?
7. I want to distribute (outside my organization) Firefox, or other
MPL-covered code, that I have compiled myself but not changed. What do
I have to do?
8. I want to distribute (outside my organization) a modified version
of Firefox, or other MPL-covered code. What do I have to do?
9. How 'viral' is the MPL? If I use MPLed code in my proprietary
application, will I have to give all the source code away?
10. May I combine MPLed code and BSD-licensed code in the same binary?
What about the same file?
11. May I combine MPLed code and Apache-licensed code in the same
binary? What about the same file?
12. May I combine MPLed code and GPL-licensed code in the same binary?

Other Questions
13. Is “minified” javascript Source Code?
14. What does “distribute” mean?
15. Should MPL be used for non-software works?
16. Section 3.4 says I can't offer a warranty on behalf of another
Contributor, but I'd like to go into business with another Contributor
and offer warranties to users. Is this allowed?
17. Can I link my proprietary software to the MPL licensed software
without it becoming a derivative work?
18. Can I remove or change notice statements which are displayed by
MPL-licensed software?

Changes from MPL 1.1
19. What things did not change between MPL 1.1 and MPL 2.0?
20. What major things changed between MPL 1.1 and MPL 2.0?
21. Why did you remove the government entities language?
22. Why did you remove the requirement that distributors must include
a complete copy of the license with the distributed Source Code?
23. Section 3.3 now requires that the licensee “inform” recipients how
they can obtain the Source Form. Could you give some examples of what
it means to “inform”? In particular, can I inform users via a website?
24. Why did you remove the reference to build scripts and
documentation from the definition of Source Code?
25. What changes made MPL 2.0 more compatible with Apache? With the
GNU family of licenses?
26. How was the revision process handled? Are there public documents
available which document that process?

Marc-André Moreau

Jun 22, 2011, 6:47:59 PM6/22/11
to mozilla-govern...@lists.mozilla.org, governance...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,

I would have a suggestion for a question to be answered in the FAQ:

Is the MPL known to be compatible or incompatible with particular application stores, such as Apple's App Store, the Android Market, or the Microsoft App Hub?

With cases like the removal of VLC and GNU Go from the App Store, I think there is a need for alternative licenses like MPL.