Firefox keeps changing how to navigate tabs with each update

BumbleBeing

Feb 13, 2021, 9:37:59 AM2/13/21
It's really annoying to me that Firefox keeps changing how I navigate tabs. I update Firefox and every time I have to get used to a different "tab-system". It's freaking annoying. I also have no way of customising any of this.

Mizilla please use your energy to make Firefox better and don't mess with parts of the program that function just fine(or give us some options to manage these ourselves)

WaltS48

Feb 13, 2021, 9:58:59 AM2/13/21
On 2/13/21 9:37 AM, BumbleBeing wrote:
> It's really annoying to me that Firefox keeps changing how I navigate tabs. I update Firefox and every time I have to get used to a different "tab-system". It's freaking annoying. I also have no way of customising any of this.
>
> Mizilla please use your energy to make Firefox better and don't mess with parts of the program that function just fine(or give us some options to manage these ourselves)

They are making it better with the new Proton design refresh. 😱

<https://news.softpedia.com/news/firefox-proton-redesign-brings-rounded-tabs-here-s-what-they-look-like-532009.shtml>

<https://www.ghacks.net/2021/02/04/firefox-top-sites-to-be-renamed-to-shortcuts-new-design-launches-in-nightly/>

<https://www.ghacks.net/2021/02/10/another-glimpse-at-firefoxs-upcoming-proton-design-refresh-the-new-menu/>

--
OS: Fedora 33 Workstation - Gnome Desktop

Wolf K

Feb 13, 2021, 1:45:41 PM2/13/21
On 2021-02-13 09:58, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 2/13/21 9:37 AM, BumbleBeing wrote:
>> It's really annoying to me that Firefox keeps changing how I navigate
>> tabs. I update Firefox and every time I have to get used to a
>> different "tab-system". It's freaking annoying. I also have no way of
>> customising any of this.
>>
>> Mozilla please use your energy to make Firefox better and don't mess
>> with parts of the program that function just fine (or give us some
>> options to manage these ourselves)
>>

> They are making it better with the new Proton design refresh. 😱

"Better" by whose standards?

> <https://news.softpedia.com/news/firefox-proton-redesign-brings-rounded-tabs-here-s-what-they-look-like-532009.shtml>

"As you probably know already, rounded corners seem to become the next
big thing in software, with Microsoft itself also working on bringing
this design refresh to Windows"

"Next big thing"????? The writer(s) is (are) obviously too young to know
what's new and what is some old thing revived.

> <https://www.ghacks.net/2021/02/04/firefox-top-sites-to-be-renamed-to-shortcuts-new-design-launches-in-nightly/>

As long as they leave the option to turn off "top sites". One of the
most annoying things about most (maybe all, I haven't tested them all)
current browsers is how the default "home page" serves up all kinds of
irrelevant crap.

> <https://www.ghacks.net/2021/02/10/another-glimpse-at-firefoxs-upcoming-proton-design-refresh-the-new-menu/>

[Sarcastic draft response snipped]]

I'm with OP. There is absolutely no need to change anything about how
tabs _work_. It's ok to fiddle with how they _look_, as long as the user
gets to to choose. And if devs want to add/change some tab
functionality, the least they could do is make it user's choice.

That goes for the GUI in general: Do Not Change How It Works.

I don't care how they change the looks, as long as any changes to
functionality are under user control.

[snipped draft of rude rant about devs, it was satisfying enough to just
write it. Hah!]

Best,

--
Wolf K
"You know, doing what is right is easy. The problem is knowing what is

WaltS48

Feb 13, 2021, 2:52:45 PM2/13/21
On 2/13/21 1:45 PM, Wolf K wrote:
> On 2021-02-13 09:58, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 2/13/21 9:37 AM, BumbleBeing wrote:
>>> It's really annoying to me that Firefox keeps changing how I navigate
>>> tabs. I update Firefox and every time I have to get used to a
>>> different "tab-system". It's freaking annoying. I also have no way of
>>> customising any of this.
>>>
>>> Mozilla please use your energy to make Firefox better and don't mess
>>> with parts of the program that function just fine (or give us some
>>> options to manage these ourselves)
>>>

>> They are making it better with the new Proton design refresh. 😱
>
> "Better" by whose standards?

I thought I used the screaming in fear emoji.

>> <https://news.softpedia.com/news/firefox-proton-redesign-brings-rounded-tabs-here-s-what-they-look-like-532009.shtml>
>

> "As you probably know already, rounded corners seem to become the next
> big thing in software, with Microsoft itself also working on bringing
> this design refresh to Windows"
>
> "Next big thing"????? The writer(s) is (are) obviously too young to know
> what's new and what is some old thing revived.

I did not know that rounded corners are the next big thing.

I do recall the uproar when they were changed to square.

Just added the "browser.proton.tabs.enabled" preference to my Nightly
and they don't even connect to the toolbar now.

>> <https://www.ghacks.net/2021/02/04/firefox-top-sites-to-be-renamed-to-shortcuts-new-design-launches-in-nightly/>
>

> As long as they leave the option to turn off "top sites". One of the
> most annoying things about most (maybe all, I haven't tested them all)
> current browsers is how the default "home page" serves up all kinds of
> irrelevant crap.

I rarely use the new tab page and think I have it set to blank.

PietB

Feb 13, 2021, 3:11:11 PM2/13/21
Wolf K wrote:
>> <https://news.softpedia.com/news/firefox-proton-redesign-brings-rounded-tabs-here-s-what-they-look-like-532009.shtml>
>
> "As you probably know already, rounded corners seem to become the next
> big thing in software, with Microsoft itself also working on bringing
> this design refresh to Windows"

Yeah. Be prepared to buy a new screen with rounded corners.

> "Next big thing"????? The writer(s) is (are) obviously too young to know
> what's new and what is some old thing revived.

How true. They should try FF52 with the Classic Theme Restorer add-on.

> I'm with OP. There is absolutely no need to change anything about how
> tabs _work_.

Or where they're placed. Why are tabs above and has the option for tabs
below been removed? Functional? No, window dressing.

> That goes for the GUI in general: Do Not Change How It Works.

+1

-p

PietB

Feb 13, 2021, 3:13:37 PM2/13/21
WaltS48 wrote:
> I did not know that rounded corners are the next big thing.

Well, now you know. ;-)

> I do recall the uproar when they were changed to square.

That's one of things that triggered Classic Theme Restorer.

-p

The Real Bev

Feb 13, 2021, 3:36:28 PM2/13/21
I can't understand why TABS ON THE SIDE has never been a native option.
We have WIDE screens with a lot of wasted space -- ideal for running a
large number of EASILY-READABLE tabs down the side. Tab Mix Plus used
to do it perfectly; now I use three different tab-options to
approximate what TMP used to do.

I understand why the guy wasn't willing to put in the effort to make the
new versions work the way the old versions did, but it's still bothersome.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I can't stand this proliferation of paperwork. It's useless to

Big Al

Feb 13, 2021, 3:54:57 PM2/13/21
On 2/13/21 2:52 PM, this is what WaltS48 wrote:
> I did not know that rounded corners are the next big thing.
>
> I do recall the uproar when they were changed to square.
>
> Just added the "browser.proton.tabs.enabled" preference to my Nightly and they don't even connect to the toolbar now.
I've got rounded corners through CSS. It came out quite a while ago, probably right after Firefox adopted square corners.

https://i.imgur.com/ExFzroq.png

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Wolf K

Feb 13, 2021, 5:39:25 PM2/13/21
On 2021-02-13 14:52, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 2/13/21 1:45 PM, Wolf K wrote:

>>> They are making it better with the new Proton design refresh. 😱
>>
>> "Better" by whose standards?
>>

> I thought I used the screaming in fear emoji.
[...]

Sorry, couldn't see that, ageing eyes.... Will use Ctrl-Scroll next time
I see a suspicious graphic. :-)

Andy Burns

Feb 13, 2021, 5:45:44 PM2/13/21
Wolf K quoted:

>> <https://news.softpedia.com/news/firefox-proton-redesign-brings-rounded-tabs-here-s-what-they-look-like-532009.shtml>
>
> "As you probably know already, rounded corners seem to become the next
> big thing in software, with Microsoft itself also working on bringing
> this design refresh to Windows"
>
> "Next big thing"????? The writer(s) is (are) obviously too young to know
> what's new and what is some old thing revived.

Heh, I remember it being 'cool' in 198mumble to set my Qume QVT-105(?)
to have rounded line/box draw characters for text based forms ...

Andy Burns

Feb 13, 2021, 5:47:30 PM2/13/21
WaltS48 wrote:

> I did not know that rounded corners are the next big thing.

Wasn't that when "Australis" was the hot theme refresh?

Sailfish

Feb 14, 2021, 8:44:48 AM2/14/21
My bloviated meandering follows what Wolf K graced us with on 2/13/2021
10:45 AM:
I have to take a slight exception to that. If they'd add all of the
functionality of TabsMixPlus (TMP), I'd make the latest Fx my default
browser instead of limping along with 59.2esr, The Last Airbender of
productive Fx browsers.

Note: I'd even accept it if they only made its features an add-on;
although, intrinsic would be my preference.

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Balaco ocalaB

Oct 4, 2021, 2:46:47 PM10/4/21
Em 13/02/2021 11:37, BumbleBeing escreveu:
> It's really annoying to me that Firefox keeps changing how I navigate tabs. I update Firefox and every time I have to get used to a different "tab-system". It's freaking annoying. I also have no way of customising any of this.
>
> Mizilla please use your energy to make Firefox better and don't mess with parts of the program that function just fine(or give us some options to manage these ourselves)

I fixed this problem since Firefox+Thunderbird released a big update
after 52 versions. I did not update!

And for the sites that cannot work well in FF52 - for these, I use
Vivaldi, now. A really great browser, reviving the original privacy
protection principles that Opera browser had until version 12, when it
made a drastic change in path.

--
=
quem você é?