Connecting to the freenode IRC chn ... Do I need to register AGAIN??

1 view

Daniel

Jun 3, 2021, 5:07:26 AM6/3/21
Do I need to register AGAIN??

For the past little while, when I have started SeaMonkey, I have logged
onto the irc://freenode/SeaMonkey chn without any problems.

Today, after logging on to the freenode server and then to the
irc://freenode/SeaMonkey, that chn tells me ...

This channel requires that you have registered and identified yourself
with the network's nickname registration services (e.g. NickServ).
Please see the documentation of this network's nickname registration
services that should be found in the MOTD (/motd to display it).

But, as I said, I was logging in no problems, so why now do I apparently
have to register again??

And how do I re-register?? (Memory failing!!)
--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.53.6 Build identifier: 20210117210643

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.53.6 Build identifier: 20210118013008

R.Wieser

Jun 3, 2021, 6:32:30 AM6/3/21
Daniel,

> But, as I said, I was logging in no problems, so why now do I apparently
> have to register again??

Maybe because FreeNode has been in a hostile takeover, and the new
management uses it to weed out some "undesirables" ?

https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/19/freenode_staff_resigns/
https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/26/freenode_irc_takeover/

A number of channels (maybe yours too ?) have been recreated (by the same
people who managed the channel on FreeNode) on a new server :

https://libera.chat/news/welcome-to-libera-chat

> And how do I re-register?? (Memory failing!!)

[quote]
Please see the documentation of this network's nickname registration
services that should be found in the MOTD (/motd to display it).
[/quote]

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Daniel

Jun 4, 2021, 7:01:46 AM6/4/21
R.Wieser wrote on 3/6/21 8:32 pm:
> Daniel,
>
>> But, as I said, I was logging in no problems, so why now do I apparently
>> have to register again??
>
> Maybe because FreeNode has been in a hostile takeover, and the new
> management uses it to weed out some "undesirables" ?
>
> https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/19/freenode_staff_resigns/
> https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/26/freenode_irc_takeover/
>
> A number of channels (maybe yours too ?) have been recreated (by the same
> people who managed the channel on FreeNode) on a new server :
>
> https://libera.chat/news/welcome-to-libera-chat

Thank you, Rudy, I'll give that a try.

>> And how do I re-register?? (Memory failing!!)
>
> [quote]
> Please see the documentation of this network's nickname registration
> services that should be found in the MOTD (/motd to display it).
> [/quote]
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

Yes, I read that message then went to the screen where I could read the
MOTD .... but saw nothing there to tell me how to re-register.

Guess I'm off to libara.chat.

Thanks, Rudy.