I'm really getting pissed off

The Real Bev

Feb 5, 2021, 5:05:54 PM2/5/21
Firefox seems to be dropping one functionality after another.
FF83/linux just stopped being able to connect to google hangouts,
although my older chrome and android 11 have no problem. WTF is
happening? We lose stuff both by updating and by standing still...

--
Cheers, Bev
"I would be most content if my children grew up to be the

WaltS48

Feb 5, 2021, 6:13:10 PM2/5/21
On 2/5/21 5:05 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> Firefox seems to be dropping one functionality after another. FF83/linux
> just stopped being able to connect to google hangouts, although my older
> chrome and android 11 have no problem.  WTF is happening?  We lose stuff
> both by updating and by standing still...

How do you mean stopped being able to connect?

@ <https://hangouts.google.com/>

I get a

"Hi, Walter L!
Get started by calling or messaging a friend below"

with icons to do either,

I'm using Firefox Nightly 87.0a1.

--
OS: Fedora 33 Workstation - Gnome Desktop

WaltS48

Feb 5, 2021, 6:25:00 PM2/5/21
On 2/5/21 5:05 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> Firefox seems to be dropping one functionality after another. FF83/linux
> just stopped being able to connect to google hangouts, although my older
> chrome and android 11 have no problem.  WTF is happening?  We lose stuff
> both by updating and by standing still...

Also works using Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Linux x86_64; rv:85.0)
Gecko/20100101 Firefox/85.0

The Real Bev

Feb 6, 2021, 12:29:27 AM2/6/21
On 02/05/2021 03:13 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 2/5/21 5:05 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> Firefox seems to be dropping one functionality after another. FF83/linux
>> just stopped being able to connect to google hangouts, although my older
>> chrome and android 11 have no problem. WTF is happening? We lose stuff
>> both by updating and by standing still...
>>

> How do you mean stopped being able to connect?

When I tried to send a message (it worked yesterday) "trying to
connect..." popped up, along with a 'failed to send' message. After a
number of attempts I posted here...

AND THEN I discovered (after downloaded FF85 and created a new profile)
that I needed to log in as my hangouts persona, not the other one I had
just used to deal with the spam in that gmail account. Apparently you
can only have ONE gmail account open at a time -- or at least if you log
in to #2 you have to log in again to #1.

Never mind...

> @ <https://hangouts.google.com/>
>
> I get a
>
> "Hi, Walter L!
> Get started by calling or messaging a friend below"
>
> with icons to do either,
>
> I'm using Firefox Nightly 87.0a1.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Arguing on the internet is like running a race in the Special
Olympics: even if you win, you're still retarded."

Stanimir Stamenkov

Feb 12, 2021, 1:20:34 PM2/12/21
Fri, 5 Feb 2021 21:29:20 -0800, /The Real Bev/:
> On 02/05/2021 03:13 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 2/5/21 5:05 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>>> Firefox seems to be dropping one functionality after another. FF83/linux
>>> just stopped being able to connect to google hangouts, although my older
>>> chrome and android 11 have no problem.  WTF is happening?  We lose stuff
>>> both by updating and by standing still...
>>
>> How do you mean stopped being able to connect?
>
> When I tried to send a message (it worked yesterday) "trying to
> connect..." popped up, along with a 'failed to send' message.  After a
> number of attempts I posted here...
>
> AND THEN I discovered (after downloaded FF85 and created a new profile)
> that I needed to log in as my hangouts persona, not the other one I had
> just used to deal with the spam in that gmail account.  Apparently you
> can only have ONE gmail account open at a time -- or at least if you log
> in to #2 you have to log in again to #1.
>
> Never mind...

You could consider:

https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/multi-account-containers

and various ones which build upon it:

https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/temporary-containers
https://addons.mozilla.org/search?q=container

--
Stanimir

Ken Springer

Feb 12, 2021, 1:58:26 PM2/12/21
On 2/5/21 3:05 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> Firefox seems to be dropping one functionality after another.
> FF83/linux just stopped being able to connect to google hangouts,
> although my older chrome and android 11 have no problem. WTF is
> happening? We lose stuff both by updating and by standing still...

Google is killing hangouts for all users in March, according to this page:

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-hangouts-replace-free-google-chat-2021/

--
Ken
MacOS 10.14.6

The Real Bev

Feb 12, 2021, 5:53:22 PM2/12/21
On 02/12/2021 10:58 AM, Ken Springer wrote:
> On 2/5/21 3:05 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> Firefox seems to be dropping one functionality after another.
>> FF83/linux just stopped being able to connect to google hangouts,
>> although my older chrome and android 11 have no problem. WTF is
>> happening? We lose stuff both by updating and by standing still...
>
> Google is killing hangouts for all users in March, according to this page:
>
> https://www.xda-developers.com/google-hangouts-replace-free-google-chat-2021/

You can no longer use the hangouts dialer to make wifi calls, but
'Google Voice' works fine. I tried to get other Voice numbers through
other gmail accounts, but that didn't seem possible.

Will Hangouts still be useful for messaging? Their announcement was
really ambiguous.

--
Cheers, Bev
...so few snipers, so many politicians...

Ken Springer

Feb 12, 2021, 6:35:40 PM2/12/21
I use Google Voice for all my long distance calls.

Balaco ocalaB

Oct 4, 2021, 2:48:15 PM10/4/21
Em 05/02/2021 19:05, The Real Bev escreveu:
> Firefox seems to be dropping one functionality after another.
> FF83/linux just stopped being able to connect to google hangouts,
> although my older chrome and android 11 have no problem. WTF is
> happening? We lose stuff both by updating and by standing still...

LOL

--
=
quem você é?

2.a. Você pode fazê-lo aqui:
2.b. You may do it here:

https://queroouvir.sarahah.com/

The Real Bev

Oct 5, 2021, 2:24:20 AM10/5/21
On 10/04/2021 11:48 AM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
> Em 05/02/2021 19:05, The Real Bev escreveu:
>> Firefox seems to be dropping one functionality after another.
>> FF83/linux just stopped being able to connect to google hangouts,
>> although my older chrome and android 11 have no problem. WTF is
>> happening? We lose stuff both by updating and by standing still...
>>

> LOL

I cried too soon. FF82 (83 was a type) and Nightly 95.0a1 both work
fine with Hangouts. 95 running the same profile scrolls faster, a good
thing.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Let them all go to hell, except Cave 76"