youtube-dl for rumble?

Apr 18, 2021, 7:30:24 PM4/18/21
Hi All,

Anyone know of a downloader for rumble.com?

Many thanks,
-T

Daniel

Apr 19, 2021, 3:36:44 AM4/19/21
Doesn't youtube-dl handle rumble.com??

I understood it was more flexible than its name implied!
--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.53.6 Build identifier: 20210117210643

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.53.6 Build identifier: 20210118013008

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Apr 19, 2021, 4:04:23 AM4/19/21
On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 at 17:36:38, Daniel <dx...@spam.albury.net.au> wrote
(my responses usually follow points raised):
>T wrote on 19/04/2021 9:30 am:
>> Hi All,
>> Anyone know of a downloader for rumble.com?
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>
>Doesn't youtube-dl handle rumble.com??
>
>I understood it was more flexible than its name implied!

Dunno about rumble (never heard of it until this thread - never been
there), but I can certainly confirm that youtube-dl is extremely poorly
named: it does indeed work with almost any URL that I have thrown at it
- in fact I can't remember one it has failed on. It's certainly not just
for YouTube!

(I _have_ created a batch file that includes the switch to tell it to
ignore a certificate being out of date as one site I download from a lot
has that problem, but that's trivial.)

I don't like that word [atheist]; it implies that there's a god not to believe
in - Eric Idle, quoted in RT 2016/12/10-16

Apr 19, 2021, 5:34:28 AM4/19/21
On 4/19/21 1:02 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 at 17:36:38, Daniel <dx...@spam.albury.net.au> wrote
> (my responses usually follow points raised):
>> T wrote on 19/04/2021 9:30 am:
>>> Hi All,
>>>  Anyone know of a downloader for rumble.com?
>>>  Many thanks,
>>> -T
>>
>> Doesn't youtube-dl handle rumble.com??
>>
>> I understood it was more flexible than its name implied!
>
> Dunno about rumble (never heard of it until this thread - never been
> there), but I can certainly confirm that youtube-dl is extremely poorly
> named: it does indeed work with almost any URL that I have thrown at it
> - in fact I can't remember one it has failed on. It's certainly not just
> for YouTube!
>
> (I _have_ created a batch file that includes the switch to tell it to
> ignore a certificate being out of date as one site I download from a lot
> has that problem, but that's trivial.)

$ youtube-dl
https://rumble.com/vepb2p-yann-tiersen-comptine-dun-autre-t-guitar-cover-amelie-movie-soundtrack.html
[generic]
vepb2p-yann-tiersen-comptine-dun-autre-t-guitar-cover-amelie-movie-soundtrack:
Requesting header
WARNING: Falling back on generic information extractor.
[generic]
vepb2p-yann-tiersen-comptine-dun-autre-t-guitar-cover-amelie-movie-soundtrack:
Downloading webpage
[generic]
vepb2p-yann-tiersen-comptine-dun-autre-t-guitar-cover-amelie-movie-soundtrack:
Extracting information
ERROR: Unsupported URL:
https://rumble.com/vepb2p-yann-tiersen-comptine-dun-autre-t-guitar-cover-amelie-movie-soundtrack.html

David E. Ross

Apr 19, 2021, 11:32:28 AM4/19/21
In ClipGrab, I tried the link
<https://rumble.com/vepb2p-yann-tiersen-comptine-dun-autre-t-guitar-cover-amelie-movie-soundtrack.html>
that you gave. ClipGrab could not find a downloadable video. So I used
SeaMonkey to view that link and was able to play the video.

I then right-clicked on the video and selected Copy Video Location from
the popup context menu. ClipGrab recognized that URI as a downloadable
video.

I think you need to use the correct URI, not the URI of the Web page but
the URI of the video.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

News item: "Conservative U.S. House Republicans to
form 'America First' caucus"

During the 1930s, America First was a pro-Nazi political movement.

Apr 19, 2021, 7:22:56 PM4/19/21
I can't figure out how to get the URI from the web site

David E. Ross

Apr 19, 2021, 8:57:52 PM4/19/21
On the Web page you indicated, I started playing the video (HTML5
Media). While it was playing, I placed my cursor over the video,
right-clicked, and selected Copy Video Location from the context menu.
I had to do this while the video was playing, before it ended.

Apr 20, 2021, 3:52:19 AM4/20/21
I get no pop up when I right click on the playing
video in either Firefox or Vivaldi. It just
ignores me. Left click works (start and stops
the video).

:')

Daniel

Apr 20, 2021, 4:26:34 AM4/20/21
T wrote on 20/4/21 5:52 pm:
David, Using my Linux SM, I just clicked on the link 'T' provided,
clicked the 'Play' button centre of screen, then right clicked on the
playing video .... and got nothing, no menu from which to select 'Copy
Video Location'.

David, I note you are posting using TB .... did you use FF to view the
clip?? Could that be the difference??

David E. Ross

Apr 20, 2021, 11:00:37 AM4/20/21
No, I am using SeaMonkey 2.49.5.

Apr 20, 2021, 2:22:48 PM4/20/21
I just posted:

Please provide support for rumble.com
https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/issues/28814

Daniel

Apr 21, 2021, 12:47:15 AM4/21/21
David E. Ross wrote on 21/4/21 1:00 am:
O.K., in that case it appears the web-site works for your 2.49.5 but not
for my 2.53.6 nor whatever version 'T' is using!!

David E. Ross

Apr 21, 2021, 1:48:31 AM4/21/21
T wants to use youtube-dl to download a video from the rumble.com Web
site. That is quite different from viewing the video within a browser.

ClipGrab uses youtube-dl for downloading videos. ClipGrab is NOT an
add-on to any browser; it is a stand-alone application. The issue is
getting the correct URI into youtube-dl for it to download a video.

T cited the URI
<https://rumble.com/vepb2p-yann-tiersen-comptine-dun-autre-t-guitar-cover-amelie-movie-soundtrack.html>.
However, that is the URI for a Web page in which a video is embedded;
it is NOT the URI of the video itself. I viewed the rumble.com URI in
SeaMonkey with HTML5 Media enabled (normally disabled in my
configuration). I started the video, still in SeaMonkey. While the
video played within SeaMonkey (and also while the video was paused), I
placed my cursor over it. I right-clicked and got a context menu. One
of the items in the context menu was Copy Video Location, which I
clicked. That gave me the URI
<https://sp.rmbl.ws/s8/2/r/j/n/E/rjnEb.caa.1.mp4?u=3&b=0>, for which
ClipGrab (using youtube-dl) successfully downloaded the video. I tested
the download by playing it via VideoLAN (VLC), and it proved to be a
good .mp4 file.

If later versions of SeaMonkey than my 2.49.5 (e.g., your 2.53.6) no
longer have Copy Video Location, that is indeed another reason why I am
not upgrading.

David E. Ross

Apr 21, 2021, 2:06:38 AM4/21/21
Oops! I forgot to include the fact that playing the video within
SeaMonkey did not require the use of youtube-dl. The HTML5 Media
capability inherent in SeaMonkey (without any add-on) was sufficient.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Apr 21, 2021, 8:03:12 AM4/21/21
On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 at 22:48:25, David E. Ross
<not_me@not_there.invalid> wrote (my responses usually follow points
raised):
[]
>ClipGrab uses youtube-dl for downloading videos. ClipGrab is NOT an
>add-on to any browser; it is a stand-alone application. The issue is
>getting the correct URI into youtube-dl for it to download a video.
[]
That's interesting. When I look at ClipGrab's website, I see no mention
of youtube-dl; when I look at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_YouTube_downloaders,
youtube-dl seems to have capabilities ClipGrab does not, which seems odd
if the latter is a wrapper for the former.

(The fact that CG doesn't mention YT-DL certainly isn't conclusive, I
know - for example, a huge number of video utilities are a wrapper for
ffmpeg, but don't mention it on their websites.)

Mayayana has created a GUI wrapper for youtube-dl, though I can't now
find it on his jsware site - maybe it was never completed to the extent
he wants to make it public/findable. (I've found I usually use the
command-line version.)

"Grammar is there to help, not hinder."
-- Mark Wallace, APIHNA, 2nd December 2000 (quoted by John Flynn 2000-12-6)

Daniel

Apr 21, 2021, 8:42:53 AM4/21/21
David E. Ross wrote on 21/4/21 4:06 pm:
In my SM 2.53.6 ...

1 I went to
https://rumble.com/vepb2p-yann-tiersen-comptine-dun-autre-t-guitar-cover-amelie-movie-soundtrack.html

2. Clicked the arrow to get the video playing

3. With the mouse hoovering over the clip, pressed the right mouse button

4. Nothing happens, the clip just keeps playing, no menu shows up.

I had a look at View -> Page Source to see if I could spot where the
clip is actually located .... but my understanding of HTML is not that
great!

So doesn't work for me. ;-(

Apr 21, 2021, 12:10:40 PM4/21/21
On 4/20/21 9:47 PM, Daniel wrote:
> nor whatever version 'T' is using!

Fedora 33
firefox-87.0-12.fc33.x86_64
vivaldi-stable-3.7.2218.55-1.x86_64

clay

Apr 21, 2021, 12:31:55 PM4/21/21
Apparently your Seamonkey is ignoring the js on that site that blocks
the right mouse context menu.
I get nothing when I right click in Firefox 78.9.0esr.

Page Info (Ctrl+i) will reveal the direct link to the video.

😉 Good Guy 😉

Apr 21, 2021, 12:36:33 PM4/21/21
On 21/04/2021 05:47, Daniel wrote:

O.K., in that case it appears the web-site works for your 2.49.5 but not for my 2.53.6 nor whatever version 'T' is using!!

No problem in FF 83.0:  However, FF88 has made some changes and so this may not be possible but let's see how things go from here.

<https://sp.rmbl.ws/s8/2/r/j/n/E/rjnEb.caa.1.mp4>

--

With over 1.2 billion devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

Apr 21, 2021, 12:45:53 PM4/21/21
On 4/21/21 9:28 AM, clay wrote:

> Apparently your Seamonkey is ignoring the js on that site that blocks
> the right mouse context menu.
> I get nothing when I right click in Firefox 78.9.0esr.
>
> Page Info (Ctrl+i) will reveal the direct link to the video.

I am not seeing the the link to the video with <ctrl><I>

:'(

clay

Apr 21, 2021, 2:43:45 PM4/21/21

Apr 21, 2021, 2:54:00 PM4/21/21
Hi Clay,

I see it in your picture, but not mine:

https://ibb.co/WfVGRRb

Am I going blind?

:'(

-T

Apr 21, 2021, 2:58:53 PM4/21/21
On 4/21/21 11:40 AM, clay wrote:
$ youtube-dl https://sp.rmbl.ws/s8/2/r/j/n/E/rjnEb.caa.1.mp4?u=3&b=0

worked, but how do I get the url without having to
having you look it up for me all the time?

clay

Apr 21, 2021, 10:59:57 PM4/21/21
Look closer at my pic.
The link is under the 'Media' tab.
You're on the 'General' tab up top.

Apr 22, 2021, 12:50:35 PM4/22/21
Ah Ha! Thank you!

Apr 22, 2021, 1:02:07 PM4/22/21
On 4/21/21 7:56 PM, clay wrote:

> Look closer at my pic.
> The link is under the 'Media' tab.
> You're on the 'General' tab up top.

Hi Clay,

Any way to find that by downloading the web page
with cURL and sorting through it?

-T

clay

Apr 22, 2021, 1:13:26 PM4/22/21
Probably... I've tried parsing html in the past and it's tedious.
Some of the more clever sites hide links from Page Info, so digging
through the code is the last resort.

Apr 22, 2021, 2:05:11 PM4/22/21
I write in Raku (perl 6) and regex the dickens
out of web pages. But I have to find it in the
source page first to set up the regex. And
I am not.

clay

Apr 24, 2021, 8:10:38 PM4/24/21
Regretfully, I haven't taken the time to learn script writing.
I am reminded of its value every time I undertake some mundane
repetitive task.

I can modify the heck out of someone else's script to make it work the
way I want it to. Just can't build one from scratch.

May 4, 2021, 7:34:00 AM5/4/21
On 4/18/21 4:30 PM, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Anyone know of a downloader for rumble.com?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

I wrote my own.

You have to find the embedded URL to the video.
In the embedded URL is the address to the video.

Roy Harrell

Sep 10, 2021, 11:53:03 PM9/10/21
On Sunday, April 18, 2021 at 6:30:24 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Anyone know of a downloader for rumble.com?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T
I realize this is an old thread, but in case someone comes looking later:
View page source, search for "embedUrl" and there is what you seek.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Sep 11, 2021, 11:02:58 AM9/11/21
On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 at 20:53:02, Roy Harrell <roy...@gmail.com> wrote
(my responses usually follow points raised):
And did the OP actually try youtube-dl itself? I continue to be puzzled
why the developers continue to call it that; I can only assume it's
because that's what they called it initially, and are worried people
won't follow any name-change.

FWIW: youtube-dl works on almost any webpage that has a video in it; I
have found ones it doesn't, but few and far between (and often not for
long as yt-dl gets developed). It certainly ISN'T only for YouTube, as
the name might lead you to suspect.

Incidentally, if you call your own copy something else, there's a fair
chance it will still update if you tell it to - and still call the new
version by your chosen name. (I call mine yt-dl.exe, and it seems to
update fine under that name. [I also have a just y.bat file, that calls
it with the switch that ignores certificates, which one or two of the
sites I download videos from don't keep up to date.])

Thay have a saying for it: /Geiz ist geil/, which roughly translates as, "It's
sexy to be stingly". - Joe Fattorini, RT insert 2016/9/10-16

Sep 17, 2021, 7:00:55 PM9/17/21
On 9/11/21 7:59 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 at 20:53:02, Roy Harrell <roy...@gmail.com> wrote
> (my responses usually follow points raised):
>> On Sunday, April 18, 2021 at 6:30:24 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Anyone know of a downloader for rumble.com?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T
>> I realize this is an old thread, but in case someone comes looking later:
>> View page source, search for "embedUrl" and there is what you seek.
>
> And did the OP actually try youtube-dl itself? I continue to be puzzled
> why the developers continue to call it that; I can only assume it's
> because that's what they called it initially, and are worried people
> won't follow any name-change.
>
> FWIW: youtube-dl works on almost any webpage that has a video in it; I
> have found ones it doesn't, but few and far between (and often not for
> long as yt-dl gets developed). It certainly ISN'T only for YouTube, as
> the name might lead you to suspect.
>
> Incidentally, if you call your own copy something else, there's a fair
> chance it will still update if you tell it to - and still call the new
> version by your chosen name. (I call mine yt-dl.exe, and it seems to
> update fine under that name. [I also have a just y.bat file, that calls
> it with the switch that ignores certificates, which one or two of the
> sites I download videos from don't keep up to date.])

I wrote a program to do exactly that.

If anyone what to follow the rumble request:

https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/issues/10785